Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Frequent Traveler University-NYC April 30th, 2011 (EVENT IS NOW FULL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Traveler University-NYC April 30th, 2011 (EVENT IS NOW FULL)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
If Marathon Man's colleague cannot take it, I would be happy to buy your ticket.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:54 am

Hi, I need a ticket. Please let me know if you have it available.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Webinar possibilities?

For those of us who cannot attend but really want to hear the content, will any of this be broadcast as a webinar? Is that possible to do? I think many people would be willing to pay to listen to the content to learn about this stuff, even if we cannot physically go to the seminar. Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
I too have suddenly found my weekend open and would like to attend if somebody needs to back out.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I pm'd Luvtworce saying I want the ticket for my friend but Luvtworce did not reply

So geo, I want yours if it is still available

Please let me know. I am PMing you now with my details and email/cell
thanks

MM
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
I'm not holding man. I'm looking to score.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I pm'd Luvtworce saying I want the ticket for my friend but Luvtworce did not reply

So geo, I want yours if it is still available

Please let me know. I am PMing you now with my details and email/cell
thanks

MM
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeoMedic
I'm not holding man. I'm looking to score.
yup
gotcha
PMd ya
sorry for the confusion

This is like when we were in high school trying to score like Rush or Floyd tickets hahaha

Anyway yah... Luvtworce had said he had one. Hopefully still does--i am still interested for my friend. My friend is in Peru and JUST was able to reconfirm his AA flight to connect thru NY on return so he could attend this!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
yup
gotcha
PMd ya
sorry for the confusion

This is like when we were in high school trying to score like Rush or Floyd tickets hahaha

Anyway yah... Luvtworce had said he had one. Hopefully still does--i am still interested for my friend. My friend is in Peru and JUST was able to reconfirm his AA flight to connect thru NY on return so he could attend this!
I believe Luvtworce is a woman, named Jane (based on her post). FWIW, I did not get a reply either, so I hope everything is ok with her family. As with your friend, I am still interested in attending should anyone not be able to use their registration.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neuron
I believe Luvtworce is a woman, named Jane (based on her post). FWIW, I did not get a reply either, so I hope everything is ok with her family. As with your friend, I am still interested in attending should anyone not be able to use their registration.
yes. typo on my part
sorry

and yes I hope everything is ok as well.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Charity Raffle!

Folks,

As at all other events I help host, charity is a huge part of it. At SMD III, we raised over 13K USD from our generous participants that were donated to various charities.

The events in NYC this week will also have a focus and we are doing a raffle big raffle as well.

The organizations that will receive money from the surplus and raffle will be:

Capt. Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund http://dahlfund.org/
Susan G. Komen http://ww5.komen.org/
City Year http://www.cityyear.org/default_ektid13307.aspx

SkiAdcock, has been coerced in to being our charity raffle President.

What do we need from you? If you have anything you want to donate to the raffle, pls PM her or me.

We already have great stuff like iPad2, Bose QC15 headset etc, but if you have something fun airplane related, pls let us know.

I'm donating one of my UA SWUs, as an example

Also, we of course need you to bring plenty of cash
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tommy777
Folks,

As at all other events I help host, charity is a huge part of it. At SMD III, we raised over 13K USD from our generous participants that were donated to various charities.

The events in NYC this week will also have a focus and we are doing a raffle big raffle as well.

The organizations that will receive money from the surplus and raffle will be:

Capt. Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund http://dahlfund.org/
Susan G. Komen http://ww5.komen.org/
City Year http://www.cityyear.org/default_ektid13307.aspx

SkiAdcock, has been coerced in to being our charity raffle President.

What do we need from you? If you have anything you want to donate to the raffle, pls PM her or me.

We already have great stuff like iPad2, Bose QC15 headset etc, but if you have something fun airplane related, pls let us know.

I'm donating one of my UA SWUs, as an example

Also, we of course need you to bring plenty of cash
hmmm could be a way to get rid of at least one small box of coins!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Alright my fellow FTers! The gauntlet is thrown!

Those of you who were at SMD2 or Chicago Seminar Do 1 know that I AM the charity raffle queen! (self-appointed of course). But this part is true - you can run, but you can't hide. It's not if you will be donating, but how much. 'Nuf said.

These are great charities & we've got great FTers who are always generous, so while you're running from session to session trying to learn travel stuff, I'll be running from session to session saying ante up to all of you. Come on. It's not that much. Great causes, and potentially win great prizes.

We take US/Canadian/Euro/GBP. So no excuses. And yes we do take Presidential coins!

Cheers.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I may, I will only offer up one piece of advice for the attendees as well as the organizers when it comes to all of this...

As generous as many here probably would be at the FTU, I find it is never a good idea to pressure someone to donate to a charity--or to even give any hint toward pushing someone into donating to one in any form.

One should simply be made aware of the causes and needs put forth on the table, and then be allowed to step back and make the decisions on their own--silently, hopefully.

'nuf said.

MM
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Folk who know me from SMD2 & Chicago Seminar 1 know that if someone says I don't want to donate, I say ok & move on. What - I'm going to take away an upgrade or paint a scarlet A on their chest? No. Geesh. If folk are willing to donate, cool. If they're not willing to donate for whatever reason, that's ok too.

Based on experience, it's a single day w/ a LOT of folk running from session to session - hoping they'll stop by a 'table' is not the best method to get the tickets sold for the auction items. Of course on the plane there was no room to put a table, but we managed anyway

We've had great success with both. $7K on the plane for SMD2 & of course the additional $6K for the LH flight simulator auction, as well as $4K for the Chicago Seminar 1, which the organizers had some extra $$ left over from the event & kicked in an additional $1K.

So folk - great prizes. If you want a chance to win them & donate to great causes, buy tickets. Lots of them. If you choose not to, don't worry about it.

Cheers.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Folk who know me from SMD2 & Chicago Seminar 1 know that if someone says I don't want to donate, I say ok & move on.
Yes, I remember clearly...

On a serious note, I do have mixed feelings about this creeping "charity activism", on two fronts.

First, I have my own charities I like to support and I do it to the best of my ability and then some. Perhaps many others do the same. While we are all used to apologizing to people on the sidewalk or telephone when they ask us to support their favorite causes instead, we may find it in poor taste if we have to do it in an event organized for a different purpose and that we are paying to fly to and attend.

How would the organizers like it if I went around table to table, stopping people in the hallway, interrupting conversations, etc, all to tell them about my favorite charities? Or about the importance of brushing teeth, avoiding domestic violence, etc., all good causes?

Many would find it disruptive. Even if the causes are good, that is not why we are getting together. People have come all the way to hear, talk and think about something else.

That it would be disruptive you seem to recognize yourself:

Based on experience, it's a single day w/ a LOT of folk running from session to session - hoping they'll stop by a 'table' is not the best method to get the tickets sold for the auction items.
You are right, most just might skip your table and get on with why they have flown to NYC in the first place. You may find the same reaction in a church, a sports arena, a classroom, a surgery room, maybe even inside the offices of the charities you like, ie, wherever people have gotten together for a well defined specific purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.