Randy-DO 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Randy-DO 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:39 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

What can I say? The words "thank you" just never seem to be enough for the best memories you've all added to my very happy life.

I really don't think you need a Do for me, the bookends of the first large-scale DO in hawaii in 1999 (PIP—Party in Paradise DO) and then my last DO, the Star Mega DO2 and all else in the the middle are truly the best. And I've lived the other DOs vicariously through all of you.

My goal is certainly to help anyone who needs help the next month or so, making sure that FlyerTalk remains comfortable for you. Maybe after the first of the year when I've had a chance to look back a little I'll see what makes sense.

In the meantime, what about if one of you came to me for a RanDO? I'm very proud of the story of FlyerTalk, the failure at the very beginning in 1995 (how many of you knew that part?) and the restart and then success. I've got the stories and of course the memories of members long past, members who likely would have caused heart-attacks for anyone less healthy, and of course my proud examples of paying it forward to our members and to charities that the many members support. Anyway, I'm thinking of inviting one of you to the first RanDO and here's the idea—read post #21 (which is a reply to #20) here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-...-question.html

I truly am honored you'd want to spend even more time with me!!!!!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mhnadel
I'm interested if it happens at a time and place I can make it to.
I agreed.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ClubCarlson Concierge
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
What can I say? The words "thank you" just never seem to be enough for the best memories you've all added to my very happy life.

I really don't think you need a Do for me, the bookends of the first large-scale DO in hawaii in 1999 (PIP—Party in Paradise DO) and then my last DO, the Star Mega DO2 and all else in the the middle are truly the best. And I've lived the other DOs vicariously through all of you.

My goal is certainly to help anyone who needs help the next month or so, making sure that FlyerTalk remains comfortable for you. Maybe after the first of the year when I've had a chance to look back a little I'll see what makes sense.

In the meantime, what about if one of you came to me for a RanDO? I'm very proud of the story of FlyerTalk, the failure at the very beginning in 1995 (how many of you knew that part?) and the restart and then success. I've got the stories and of course the memories of members long past, members who likely would have caused heart-attacks for anyone less healthy, and of course my proud examples of paying it forward to our members and to charities that the many members support. Anyway, I'm thinking of inviting one of you to the first RanDO and here's the idea—read post #21 (which is a reply to #20) here:

Randy,

This is a great offer for sure. When do we get to hear the terms of how to win such a great prize? I am sure that I am just asking what others are already thinking.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

bolding mine: Um, Boss......you may not have a choice

Flyertalkers have been taught well ^ and are a very very very resourceful bunch .....you could be kidnapped without anyone knowing or a hoard of F/t'ers may just descend (with seat belts securely fastened and tray tables in their locked and upright positions of course ) on the HOM

But besides, we wanna
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Sounds like Randy would even be amenable to all of us descending on the HOM......at once??? (Kidding.)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Sign me up for the RanDo...it may be my only chance to finally meet you!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'm also interested. Finally got to meet Randy in person at the Mega Do even though I feel like I've known him for years. ^

Timing: Let's do it in the new year (January?), since some/most of us have already got the miles needed to requalify for our elite programs this year.

Location: How about Vegas for a venue? Always tons of cheap rooms, and discount airfares. Weather should be OK even if not overly hot.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Maybe after the first of the year when I've had a chance to look back a little I'll see what makes sense.
Thanks for your input Randy and may be I be so bold as to suggest a alternative to consider for a possible RandyDo in '11: a Memorial Day weekend Do and work a tie in to help support veterans charitable causes such as Hero Miles which I know you've support in the past as it's a matter close to the heart with a father who served his country for 30+years.

I understand you not wanting to put the spotlight on yourself but if we can use the event as a way to do some good for others would that provide a persuasive enough argument to let us borrow you for a weekend to say thanks for your contributions?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Now that The Boss himself has replied to this thread, I'll consider it legitimized enough to put my hat in the ring. (I'll ignore the aww-shucks part where he said he didn't need his own, personal DO )

Looking forward to seeing what develops!

I'll put my vote in for DEN/COS. Love that area!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:32 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
.. to consider for a possible RandyDo in '11: a Memorial Day weekend Do ...
Memorial Day should be out as there is already a Do planned for that weekend. While obviously whatever weekend chosen will not work for some, to choose a weekend that already has a large Do planned wouldn't be a considerate move IMO.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Memorial Day should be out as there is already a Do planned for that weekend. While obviously whatever weekend chosen will not work for some, to choose a weekend that already has a large Do planned wouldn't be a considerate move IMO.
Not to mention the fact that Flyertalk is global. It's not just an American thing. That's why I thought it would be great for Randy to enjoy his miles and do a global good-bye 3 or 4 continent tour. But while that's what I would do, it may not be what Randy wants. It's his retirement, let him figure it out. He knows from all these posts how we feel.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by stimpy
That's why I thought it would be great for Randy to enjoy his miles and do a global good-bye 3 or 4 continent tour. But while that's what I would do, it may not be what Randy wants.
May not be what he wants? He's reluctant to do even one event so somehow you're thinking he's gonna do pull a Mick Jagger and do a 3 or 4 continent farewell tour?

FWIW I was unaware of any larger Do's next Memorial Day and hadn't consulted the list before my previous post and was just trying to offer some suggestions I thought he might find interesting.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I like the coordinating with Randy to go to HOM

might be the easiest ...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: * A
I'll put my hat in the ring too, pls sign me up for the Randy-DO whenever/wherever it'll be an honor to be part of the celebrations.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
I concur!
LAX sounds good...I can fly to HNL to get to LAX =)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.