StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I also interpreted it to mean that it will post in 2010 to keep your 1K status for 2011.

But seriously - you (and others) have been posting for well over a month asking when the mileage was going to post. You had time to organize a mileage run sooner than the last 2 weeks of December to cement your 1K status if it was that critical to you. Instead you decided to put your hopes on the miles posting so you didn't have to do a MR & now you have to sweat it out.

I understand that since the organizers had posted a few months ago what UA told them they were going to allocate that you decided to count that into your year-end total, but still if you were that concerned about the SWUs & your personal need for them to post to your account early, then the MR was the only way to confirm that early deposit.

Nowhere did the organizers state the miles would post before 12/31 (although I'm sure they hoped they would), and as long as they do, they & the airlines & hotels have done their part.

I realize that it wasn't fair to those who provided their info on time (which includes me, btw) to have to wait for them to round up the FTers who couldn't get their act together before submitting the info, but get that the organizers didn't want to have to do multiple passes w/ the airlines & hotels. And the assumption on our part is that if they had, the airlines & hotels would have jumped on it immediately. Since it's an ad hoc thing, that's a big assumption.

I sure the organizers would have liked it if the airlines & hotels had posted everything accurately & right after receiving the information - if nothing else to eliminate the what has to be well over 100 posts asking when the miles/points are going to post.

Lesson for participants for future SMDs: don't count the miles/points into your year-end planning if it's absolutely critical.

Lesson for organizers for future SMDs: either don't tell the participants they're getting miles & make it a pleasant surprise, or post an * everywhere saying that while miles & hotel points/status has been promised by the airlines/hotels, there is no guarantee when they'll post & thus attendees should not count on them for year-end status.

Reminder to attendees: It was always about the great experience. The miles were intended to be a bonus.

Cheers. Sharon
Last year the points posted within days of the conclusion of the Do. What else would you assume for this year? My dependence upon this for 1K comes down to about 400 EQMs since my flights will cover all but that amount. Those of us with several FF program elite status -- for practical geographic reasons -- at this time of year must keep meticulous track of these matters and because of snafus like this reaching our targets is not a simple matter. And MRs are not quite as easy outside the USA where its relatively simple to find a $59 hop to top up an account.

Yes, the MegaDo was about more than the SMs but when promises are made, they should be kept. Otherwise, don't make them.

That said...Guess I shouldn't even venture a mention of the SPG points or the special surprise to pre-existing Plats...maybe that surprise was there isn't one?

(Sorry Lilli, no smilies. Violist can explain.)
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Last year UA didn't provide miles at all, so if you're going to depend on last year then you would have booked the MR already.

If you're truly only 400EQM (four hundred), surely there's somewhere within 200 miles (400 r.t.) away in 8 weeks you could have flown to for a reasonable price, especially if your 1K was dependent upon it.

My best is the miles will post, and per the MP contact will count for status. Nowhere did the organizers say they would post before 12/31. So if on 1/1 they haven't posted then you've got a beef. Before then you don't.

Cheers. Sharon

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 17, 2010 at 8:58 am
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I wish it was your interpretation, but I think they meant it will count this year to your year 2011 status.

-David
This is my interpretation, as well (although the wording could have been more clear). I believe it's the date of travel which counts, not the date on which the miles post.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Like Shareholder, I'm so sick of these amateur organizers who promised me miles and as of today, nothing has posted to my BMI account.

I can't believe the organizers and these multi billion dollar companies we support doesn't have time for ME and what revolves around ME and my person so I get what I need at any given time.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by tommy777
Like Shareholder, I'm so sick of these amateur organizers who promised me miles and as of today, nothing has posted to my BMI account.

I can't believe the organizers and these multi billion dollar companies we support doesn't have time for ME and what revolves around ME and my person so I get what I need at any given time.
This topic seems to be denigrating to mud-slinging and I don't think anyone wants that.

On the one hand, no whining from folks who are waiting. We know Oliver is working on it.

On the other hand, everyone likes to deal with people who honor their word, and people who signed up for SMD2 were promised the EQMs, and it's not fair to criticize them for relying on what they were promised. (This is not directed at you Tommy, but there were some earlier messages complaining about complainers - let's all stop that.)

So let's enjoy the holiday spirit, and hope the UA and BMI elves get their work done soon.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
[deleted due to non-intentional double-post]
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by seacarl
This topic seems to be denigrating to mud-slinging and I don't think anyone wants that.

On the one hand, no whining from folks who are waiting. We know Oliver is working on it.

On the other hand, everyone likes to deal with people who honor their word, and people who signed up for SMD2 were promised the EQMs, and it's not fair to criticize them for relying on what they were promised. (This is not directed at you Tommy, but there were some earlier messages complaining about complainers - let's all stop that.)

So let's enjoy the holiday spirit, and hope the UA and BMI elves get their work done soon.
And that I understand, but repeating yourself and being nasty in the thread does not help. Like I've said multiple times earlier, we've done what we were supposed to, there's nothing more the organizers can do except keep on sending reminders.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, IHG, Amtrak
If it helps, I'd be happy to compile a list of what everyone has and hasn't received from the airlines. PM me if you want to be added to the list. Maybe that will reduce the number of 'Are we there yet?' and 'Am I the only one?' posts. PM me again if your situation changes.

Handle | Airline Status | DO Class (F/T/R/Y) | # of EQMs | # of RDMs w/o Bonus | Elite RDM Bonus or N/A

Continental
baglady | CO Plat | F | 7978 | 3989 | 0
jetsetr | CO Plat | T | 7978 | 7978 | 3989 (posted 18DEC2010)
mnmag | CO Plat | T | 7978 | 7978 | 3989 (posted 18DEC2010)

jupper | CO Gold | Y | 3989 | 3989 | 3989 (posted 18DEC2010)
paranoiatx | CO Plat | Y | 3989 | 3989 | 3989 (posted 19DEC2010)
Powers106 | CO Plat | R | 3989 | 3989 | 0
seacarl | CO Gold | Y | 3989 | 3989 | 0
yunicorner | CO Gold | Y | 3989 | 3989 | 3989 (posted 18DEC2010)

United
cbrown5294 | UA 1K | T | 5984 | 5984 | 3989 (Posted 20DEC2010)
midhaarun | UA 1K | F or T | 6047 | 6047 | 3989 (posted 16DEC2010)

legalalien | UA 1K | R | 3173 | 2115 | 2115 IAH -> PHX -> SEA (Posted 20DEC2010)
okrogius | UA 1K | Y | 5984 | 3989 | 3989 IAH -> PHX -> SEA -> IAH (Posted 20DEC2010)
seacarl_p1 | UA 1K | Y | 0 | 0 | 0
sfosolo | UA 1K | Y | 3173 | 2115 | 2115 IAH -> PHX -> SEA (Posted 20DEC2010)
SLOCouple | UA no status | Y | 0 | 0 | N/A
SLOCouple also| UA no status | Y | 0 | 0 | N/A
Thor3| UA 1K | Y | 0 | 0 | 0
UA-NYC | UA 1K | Y | 5984 | 3989 | 3989 (Posted 20DEC2010)

Last edited by yunicorner; Dec 20, 2010 at 4:28 pm Reason: Updating the list
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
This is my interpretation, as well (although the wording could have been more clear).
Hey, it was clear to me, but I bet it was clearer in the original German.

Danke!

-David
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA
[QUOTE=yunicorner;15470361]If it helps, I'd be happy to compile a list of what everyone has and hasn't received from the airlines. PM me if you want to be added to the list. Maybe that will reduce the number of 'Are we there yet?' and 'Am I the only one?' posts. PM me again if your situation changes.

Handle | Airline Status | DO Class (F/T/R/Y) | # of EQMs | # of RDMs | Elite RDM Bonus or N/A

United
Thor3| UA 1K | Y | 0 | 0 | 0
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by midhaarun
My United MP miles were posted on December 16 morning of 6,047 EQM miles plus a 100% elite bonus based on actual miles of 3,989 or a total of 10,036 miles.

Thanks again to Tommy, Oliver, Reb and Seth for a wonderful and unforgetable SMD2.

Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings to all.
You're apparently the only UA flyer to get his/her ticket punched so far - who do you know at MP?

Very curious why there would be a singleton - you'd think it would be all or nothing
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:53 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
A very positive update from UA MP:

I just followed up with our IT and customer service folks, and rest assured the miles and EQM will post within a week or so. That said, there are a couple of things I want to make sure you're aware of:

· Flights will post as "UA" (not CO), with generic flight numbers

· All EQM/S will count toward 2010 qualification

· Due to systems limitations, the actual routing that will post is IAH-PHX-SEA-IAH, not IAH-PHX-PAE-IAH. As such, the total flight miles is 3990, not 4031

Sorry about the difference in miles, but keep in mind that since these flights will post as UA-operated, you will not only receive credit toward lifetime / million mile qualification and Regional Upgrade earning, but also a 150% booking code bonus for F-cabin customers, compared to the 125% awarded for F-cabin flights on CO.

Thanks for your patience, and please let me know if you have any more questions.
I think all in all a decent offering coming up, UA MP is evidently working on it. So keep the mud where it belongs and continue to enjoy FT for your reading and posting pleasure.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
A very positive update from UA MP:

I think all in all a decent offering coming up, UA MP is evidently working on it. So keep the mud where it belongs and continue to enjoy FT for your reading and posting pleasure.
Thanks for the update - always nice to get more MM qualifying miles .

(Is there any update on 1k/night for SPG? Happy to provide reservation numbers if that helps, or similarly just contact SPG directly.)
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by mnmag
For those SMD2ers who pre-ordered Teh Box Calendar (with proceeds net of costs benefitting the CO We Care Employee Charity) and anyone else who didn't get to put in an order, we are working with 'Frequent Flyer Giving' to process orders, payments (via paypal -- so credit cards are welcome), as well as additional donations:http://www.ffgiving.org/

Here is the thread for the Calendar, and for the FF Giving donation drive.

The calendars make great gifts!
Just a bump for anyone who hasn't ordered their BX We Care Charity calendars yet!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by midhaarun
My United MP miles were posted on December 16 morning of 6,047 EQM miles plus a 100% elite bonus based on actual miles of 3,989 or a total of 10,036 miles.

Thanks again to Tommy, Oliver, Reb and Seth for a wonderful and unforgetable SMD2.

Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings to all.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You're apparently the only UA flyer to get his/her ticket punched so far - who do you know at MP?

Very curious why there would be a singleton - you'd think it would be all or nothing
I have no special connection to MP; I am equally puzzled as to why my mileage credit has been posted well before those for the other SMD2 participants. Hopefully, as per Oliver 2002's last PM, everyone else should see their UA miles posted to their accounts in the next one week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.