10th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. Saturday June 12, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. Saturday June 12, 2010

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Parts of that Wikipedia article were written and corrected by me.

I kid you not. I am being serious.
[citation needed]

Old May 31, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Parts of that Wikipedia article were written and corrected by me.

I kid you not. I am being serious.

If this was anyone else posting, I wouldn't believe it. You know how skeptical we Brooklyn folks are. But after re-reading, and seeing the notation for the Canarsie Courier, I should have known.

1 seat left. rhino_uk would like 1 person to cancel so that rhino and mrs. rhino can join the tour.
Old May 31, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt
I have one more guest who will be in NYC during the BRT. I'm already confirmed as +1. Dan can you please add me to the waiting list for one more ticket? Sitting on laps might work for a while but not all day.

[Dont want to screw rhino_uk though.]
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Highlights for those that haven't kept up.

Originally Posted by dhammer53

First reminder...

The BRT always pushes back on time at 10:00am. This is mandated by the FAA, in keeping with Flyertalk rules and regulations.

On a more serious note, I left one of my oldest Flyertalk friends behind several years ago. If I can leave Catman behind, I'll leave you too.
Directions will be provided.
Over the years, we've stopped, and will continue to stop for pizza at L&B.
Come. No reservations necessary.

Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Thanks DAN, you are awesome ^.

June 12. Departure at 10:00am from the Grand Central Terminal area. 234 East 46 street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.
I pushback on time. If you're running late, you can call me and I'll give you directions to our next stop.
Please arrive prior to 10:00, so that I can have a purr-fect departure record.
Originally Posted by Jailer
Hey Dan and fellow BRT fans,

Any chance we can drive by 1542 38th street? It's where my dad grew up.
Remember to bring the address cause I'm not your secretary.

Originally Posted by jenniparks
Are we still going out to Coney Island? I thought i remembered someone mentioning it as part of the tour. I've been to nyc a gazillion times but never have been there.
Yep.

First reminder... the BRT has a reputation for pushing back on time. Unlike the airlines, which close their doors 10 minutes prior to push, the BRT doesn't. Last year we departed at 10:03. I have been known to leave a person or 2 behind over the years. As many repeat riders will tell you, we have a lot to do during the day. Eating is time consuming.
Many people arrive between 9:30 - 9:45. N.B. Cell phone service on the block can be sketchy.

Late comers will be given directions to our first stop.
FYI, I will not call anyone to find out where they are. Think of me as a gate agent trying to board a flight with a couple of minutes to spare. If you don't have my cell # to call me, send me a PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_Cyclone $8 bucks a ride. Take a look at this scary picture.
Time permitting. Long lines will scare me off.

================================================== =================

Ok. Here's the deal regarding lunch and supper.

We will once again have a sit down prix-fixe lunch. I found out that http://casacalamariny.com/ has a sister location that's bigger than the location we've been to on BRT 8 and 9. With a prix-fixe lunch ( cost $26), they'll be able to feed us quicker than last time. I won't miss a 2 hour and 30 minute lunch.

For those not on the BRT that would like to join us for lunch, it may be a problem; as the restaurant will barely fit us in. I'm sure we can squeeze in 1 or 2 additional. Please post if you'd like to come. If we can't fit you in, thinking about joining us at L&B for dinner. From Manhattan, find your way to the R train and get off at 86th street. Casa Calamari is 1 block away. Estimated time of arrival 11:45 - 12:00

L&B Spumoni Gardens will be our dinner stop. Estimated arrival time 6:30 - 7:00. http://www.spumonigardens.com/home.html Every year during the tour, one or 2 people depart mid-tour. If there's room on the bus, you can hitch a ride back to the city.

Don't forget, we push back at 10:00am on June 12. If you're going to be late, call me. If you don't have my cell, please PM me. Some of you sent me your cell number. Thanks, but at 9:55 I won't have the time to call you and ask where you are. The BRT has a full day planned.

We'll depart from the promenade around 11:20 - 11:30.

As you know, the BRT will depart ontime. If you think you'll be a couple of minutes late, I can wait. Doors close at 10:00. Pushback at 10:03.

234 East 46 street between 2nd and 3rd Ave.

If you arrive at GCT on the upper level, make a left. You'll exit on Lexington Ave at 44th street. Walk up to 46th street and make a right towards 3rd ave.
Just got off the phone with Casa Calamari. http://casacalamariny.com/
In case you didn't know, this is an Italian restaurant.

Prix-fix (set) lunch. Cost is $26 cash per person all-in. Choice of appetizer, entree, fruit, and beverage. Come with exact change. I had to give them a deposit to hold the restaurant for our private lunch. We bought out the place.

1 seat available.

And just in case you forgot... arrive 9:30 - 10:00

Doors close at 10:00. Push at 10:03.
For those of you that will still be in the city (New York City) on Sunday, here's a suggestion. Take the L train (runs on 14th street in Manhattan) to the first stop in Brooklyn
(Bedford Avenue). This part of Brooklyn is called Williamsburg.

Bedford Ave has plenty of shopping and restaurants/bars. It should be easy to pick out a place for brunch/lunch along this 5 block strip. All the hipsters that can't afford Manhattan have moved here. The street reminds me of the way Greenwich Village was in the 60's and 70's.

Mrs. dhammer53 and I were touring the area today. We stumbled upon Radegast Hall Biergarten at 113 N3 Street. Trust me. You'll think you're in Austria or Germany. www.radegasthall.com

Just down the block, you'll find MAST Brothers Chocolate. http://www.mastbrotherschocolate.com/ Oh my! This stuff is the best I've tasted in years. They only sell by the bar.

There's a very good little wine store called UVA Wines and Spirits at 199 Bedford Ave. www.uvawines.com Surprisingly good selection of wine for a small store. Prices are consistent with a speciality boutique. I picked up a couple of bottles from my favorite Long Island vineyard Paumanok. http://www.paumanok.com/

For those attending the Sunday night Wine dinner, allow yourself some time to get to North Square. http://www.northsquareny.com/ If you aren't on the confirmed list, you can waitlist for a seat behind Bundy Bear.

From Bedford Ave, you can take the train back into Manhattan and get off at the 6th Ave stop, then walk south to Waverly. When you get to Waverly turn left for one block.
Rhino and Bobo, Right now, there's 1 seat left. I'm going to wait a few days before I release this single seat. I know Rhino is hoping for 1 additional cancellation. If that doesn't happen by Monday, the remaining seat will go to Bobo.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: Co Gold
Rhino and Bobo, Right now, there's 1 seat left. I'm going to wait a few days before I release this single seat. I know Rhino is hoping for 1 additional cancellation. If that doesn't happen by Monday, the remaining seat will go to Bobo.
Absolutely fine by me.

If nothing opens up over the weekend I need to start planning what we will do on the Saturday anyway
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
...L&B Spumoni Gardens will be our dinner stop. Estimated arrival time 6:30 - 7:00. http://www.spumonigardens.com/home.html ...
Yummmmmmmm...

I may have completely missed this somewhere, but... Is this year's bakery stop going to be Teena's (since our favorite bakery is closed on Saturday)?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Any information on the set menu at Casa Calamari?
The name frightens me in the manner in which Peter Luger might frighten a vegetarian.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
PM me your arrival & departure info if you would like to share transportation.

Arrivals
Wednesday 9
07:40pm AA Jailer

Thursday 10
04:10pm AA ???-JFK lili

Friday 11
07:03am UA SFO-JFK boxo +2
12:45pm Penn Station Benny8444
06:30pm AA DFW-EWR Middle_Seat [will standby for earlier flight]
08:30pm CO IAH-LGA jupper
09:47pm UA SFO-JFK willie-wonka

Saturday 12
12:22am UA ORD-EWR serfty
07:01am UA LAX-JFK MarshKing
07:00am UA LAX-JFK FlyinHawaiian
08:29am AA LAX-JFK Short hair Francis

Departures
Sunday 13
06:30am UA JFK-LAX Benny8444
12:40pm CO EWR-MIA jupper [NYC-EWR Olympia Coach bus]
12:58pm UA EWR-ORD serfty
06:15pm UA JFK-LAX FlyinHawaiian

Monday 14
04:00pm AA JFK-??? lili

Tuesday 15
11:00am UA JFK-SFO boxo +2
04:55pm AA LGA-ORD Middle_Seat

Last edited by boxo; Jun 9, 2010 at 7:50 pm
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lili
Any information on the set menu at Casa Calamari?
Typical Italian. If you can't eat chicken, there's pasta too.

If anyone has a food restriction, now is the time to speak up (feel free to PM). We've been to CC twice before, and all survived.

cawhite said Is this year's bakery stop going to be Teena's (since our favorite bakery is closed on Saturday)? Yes. The last time I made adjustments to the tour, it didn't go well (for me). Time permitting, I do have something up my sleeve. If I can shave 30 minutes off lunch, and if the line at the Cyclone is a mile long, and if I decide to blow-off M&I International, this will give us the time to explore the Bedford Ave area of Williamsburg (Brooklyn). See my post above.

1 week to go.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jun 5, 2010 at 3:28 am
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OFM just dropped out. rhino_uk +1 has just cleared the list. bobo is still waitlisted.

I'm 3 hats short. On Saturday I'll be looking for 3 of the +1's to volunteer to give up their BRT baseball cap. A refund will be provided.

Brooklyn weather here... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/11234 They're predicting 88F (31C).

edit, tom911 and cawhite says that their cap from BRT 9 still looks great. All I need is 1 volunteer.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jun 6, 2010 at 3:07 pm
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:41 pm

I'm 3 hats short. On Saturday I'll be looking for 3 of the +1's to volunteer to give up their BRT baseball cap. A refund will be provided.
Hats? We get hats? SWEET.

I'm planning on walking down 32nd St a few hrs before the tour to find the (South) Korean World Cup viewing. I stumbled upon one four years ago & boy what a great experience: streets blocked off, hundreds of folks sitting on sidewalks watching the game on a couple large outdoor screens, cheering in unison.

I don't know/remember where it is exactly, but I'm sure it'll be obvious. If interested, please PM me to join: 0730 kickoff!

Pity that I'll miss the US game but this is possibly the last BRT...
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Typical Italian. If you can't eat chicken, there's pasta too.
aka "Trust Dan"

...The last time I made adjustments to the tour, it didn't go well (for me)...
Brooklyn & change going so well together and all...

1 week to go.
Yay!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by xenonym
Hats? We get hats? SWEET.

I'm planning on walking down 32nd St a few hrs before the tour to find the (South) Korean World Cup viewing. I stumbled upon one four years ago & boy what a great experience: streets blocked off, hundreds of folks sitting on sidewalks watching the game on a couple large outdoor screens, cheering in unison.

I don't know/remember where it is exactly, but I'm sure it'll be obvious. If interested, please PM me to join: 0730 kickoff!

Pity that I'll miss the US game but this is possibly the last BRT...

Actually, it is North Korea that qualified - that might affect the interested viewer base ?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I'm 3 hats short. On Saturday I'll be looking for 3 of the +1's to volunteer to give up their BRT baseball cap.
Not being a cap person, I volunteer to give mine up.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Not being a cap person, I volunteer to give mine up.
I appreciation of Row 1 all these many years and my "special arrangement", if you need mine, no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.