Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Innovative ways to earn Citi ThankYou flight points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Prestige cardholders will not earn Flight Points for flights booked after October 2014. See THIS thread.
Print Wikipost

Innovative ways to earn Citi ThankYou flight points

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:04 am

I don't agree with (support) some of the approaches described below; then after citi devalued TYP again prior to Mar 1 without proper notification I don't know what to think. Just keep in mind that citi can easily revise flight points approval steps by requiring boarding passes for all (they typically don't unless airport codes are missing from booking record or does not match up with their reference).

I have no moral issue with being awarded flight points for an airline mileage award that only tax portion is paid by PPE. The rules didn't exclude tax payment nor require/specify a minimum ($ or %) of total cost. I don't see it as loophole either since it is difficult to devise a clause to prevent us continue to benefit from it - unless they convince merchants to report tax payment separately in an itemized fashion.

Originally Posted by sy7
I posted this elsewhere, but I figure I might as well repeat this since it seems a lot of people don't realize how easy it is to get flight points for free.

Citi tracks flight points by the e-ticket number; if a refund to that e-ticket number posts before the date of the flight, you won't get the flight points for that ticket. However, if you have changed the flight so the e-ticket number is reissued, the original ticketed flights will still post.

A quick and easy way to obtain flight points for your PremierPass cards with little outlay is to make Southwest ticket purchases. Make sure to select a senior fare--these are fully refundable. Purchase a straightforward round-trip (eg OAK-FLL) with minimal stops (~$400). Change the ticket by adding stops, switching connection cities, etc. You can get more than six different $1-3 charges (each one counts as a separate ticket) by doing this. Each charge is associated with a new ticket number, and will give you the full flight mileage credit (even if the dates remain the same). I usually wait a few hours or a day between each $1-2 charge, just in case. Once you have sufficient flights, you can then request a refund from Southwest. Apparently this is a manual process and might take a while. I've never actually done this, since I've used the funds for other flights, but I did notice that it is an option when you are canceling a fully refundable senior ticket.

Of course, you can also do the same thing with refundable tickets from other airlines, but their airfares tend to be a lot more expensive. Plus, it is really easy to change a Southwest ticket on their website and just charge $1-2 per "new" ticket.

Another way of accomplishing this is to charge the taxes for an award ticket on your card, change the flights slightly (and get new ticket numbers and new tax charged) and then cancel. That only works though if you have fee-free redeposit for the award. I personally found it simpler to go the Southwest route, especially since I had lots of sign-up bonus points to match.

If you have a credit on your Citi card, you can call them up and request them to send you a check for the balance, if you don't want to put any additional spend on the card.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
The only airline fee that I got thankyou points for was a $150 change fee on UA for changing an award ticket (bought with a DBC FREE voucher, but same story). We changed both dates AND the originating city, and received flight points for the new itinerary. Our statement correctly showed the full itinerary, dates, ticket number, etc.

Some other fees that I have paid but not received flight points are as follows:
- Taxes paid on award booking for both UA and NW (usually $10 for domestic award)
- NW award ticket change fee, $25, to change dates/flights
- NW confirmed standby fee, $25, to confirm a change to an earlier flight, on an award ticket
- UA checked baggage fees
- UA fee to check our dog (too bad I couldn't sign him up for MileagePlus)

Hope that helps some.. I remember reports of people buying snacks on board and receiving flight points.. maybe someone knows where that thread went?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:57 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by deltame
I don't agree with (support) some of the approaches described below; then after citi devalued TYP again prior to Mar 1 without proper notification I don't know what to think. Just keep in mind that citi can easily revise flight points approval steps by requiring boarding passes for all (they typically don't unless airport codes are missing from booking record or does not match up with their reference).

I have no moral issue with being awarded flight points for an airline mileage award that only tax portion is paid by PPE. The rules didn't exclude tax payment nor require/specify a minimum ($ or %) of total cost. I don't see it as loophole either since it is difficult to devise a clause to prevent us continue to benefit from it - unless they convince merchants to report tax payment separately in an itemized fashion.
I understand what you are saying. However, Citi has gutted the TYP program--twice, and in a very sneaky way the second time!--so it is not a good program anymore. By describing how to easily obtain flight points to match the purchase points (which includes the credit card sign-up bonus and any referral bonus) accumulated, I want to enable others to maximize and then close out their TYP accounts quickly and easily.

FYI, I've gotten 20K flight points from an award ticket for a $2 tax charge when I've needed to make modifications that resulted in a new eticket #. People have also gotten points for in-flight credit card charges, etc. On the other hand, some of my flights purchased via consolidators have never posted, but I don't bother to send in the boarding passes because I figure I get enough flight points from other sources anyway.

Citi can close all these "loopholes" but it will be really expensive for them to do so. Can you imagine the effort needed to sort through all the boarding passes?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
I want to do a 140K Hawaii redemption and falling short of around 14K points. Does anybody know a quick way to get these points (except buying from thankyou)? I have a citi checking (enrolled in thankyou with closing date on 20 Feb) and another credit card (enrolled in thankyou with closing date on 26 Feb). Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by gv111
I want to do a 140K Hawaii redemption and falling short of around 14K points. Does anybody know a quick way to get these points (except buying from thankyou)? I have a citi checking (enrolled in thankyou with closing date on 20 Feb) and another credit card (enrolled in thankyou with closing date on 26 Feb). Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
First of all, call and get the statement date moved up for the card with a statement date of 2/26/09. I would not feel comfortable with a statement date that's so close to the end of the month.

Did you already call and ask to speak to the 'cancellations' or 'retentions' department? Others (including myself) have reported success getting double or triple TYPs for future spending, or 3,500 points if you spend $X in the next 60 days.
The 3,500 points post as Purchase points, so with matching Flight points, that gives you 7,000 points (assuming you hit the purchase threshold they tell you).
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bostonbali
First of all, call and get the statement date moved up for the card with a statement date of 2/26/09. I would not feel comfortable with a statement date that's so close to the end of the month.

Did you already call and ask to speak to the 'cancellations' or 'retentions' department? Others (including myself) have reported success getting double or triple TYPs for future spending, or 3,500 points if you spend $X in the next 60 days.
The 3,500 points post as Purchase points, so with matching Flight points, that gives you 7,000 points (assuming you hit the purchase threshold they tell you).
Thanks. I will do that. Also I forgot to mention this. I was counting on a 16K Thankyou points bonus (from a promotion) on our other citibank checking acount. I was informed in writing on 6th Feb that it will show up in my next statement. Well my statement was generated on 12th Feb but the 16K points were missing. I have launched an investigation with them. Does anybody know of a way to get these points sooner rather than later? I know that their back office ("client research dept") handles these sort of requests but do not know anyway of reaching them directly.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Thanks. I will do that. Also I forgot to mention this. I was counting on a 16K Thankyou points bonus (from a promotion) on our other citibank checking acount. I was informed in writing on 6th Feb that it will show up in my next statement. Well my statement was generated on 12th Feb but the 16K points were missing. I have launched an investigation with them. Does anybody know of a way to get these points sooner rather than later? I know that their back office ("client research dept") handles these sort of requests but do not know anyway of reaching them directly.
err... didn't I just read this post in another TYP thread? We don't mind helping, but posting the same question twice (Cross Posting) is against FT TOS.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:32 pm
Suspended

err... didn't I just read this post in another TYP thread? We don't mind helping, but posting the same question twice (Cross Posting) is against FT TOS.
I regret for the oversight as I was urgently trying to get these points.
If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:01 am

Unfortunately, at some point, you just have to consider buying the points. I'll end up about 10K short of my goal, and believe I have no choice but to spend $250 on 10K points, since I have no more statements that will close in February.
Not ideal, but I'm still getting a good deal out of the program, so I'm not that heartbroken about it...
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: Grounded

I just got a $75 statement credit after $1000 in spend, 3500 points for spending $300 in 3 mos., or an extra 2 TYP for the usual items (meaning 3/4 now instead of 1/2) for 6 mos. I went with the extra 2, I figured my spending in the next 6 mos. will exceed the equivalent amount to get the 3500.

Esp. if I go for the US Mint dollars

Last edited by MrPink; Feb 17, 2009 at 12:33 pm
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Can anyone confirm that this SouthWest Premiere Pass approach outlined below actually works? I have about 6 PP cards between various family members that all have not earned ANY flight rewards but yet have the original 20k TYP spend bonus from opening the account...this could be a very helpful approach to earn some more TY points.

Originally Posted by sy7
I posted this elsewhere, but I figure I might as well repeat this since it seems a lot of people don't realize how easy it is to get flight points for free.

Citi tracks flight points by the e-ticket number; if a refund to that e-ticket number posts before the date of the flight, you won't get the flight points for that ticket. However, if you have changed the flight so the e-ticket number is reissued, the original ticketed flights will still post.

A quick and easy way to obtain flight points for your PremierPass cards with little outlay is to make Southwest ticket purchases. Make sure to select a senior fare--these are fully refundable. Purchase a straightforward round-trip (eg OAK-FLL) with minimal stops (~$400). Change the ticket by adding stops, switching connection cities, etc. You can get more than six different $1-3 charges (each one counts as a separate ticket) by doing this. Each charge is associated with a new ticket number, and will give you the full flight mileage credit (even if the dates remain the same). I usually wait a few hours or a day between each $1-2 charge, just in case. Once you have sufficient flights, you can then request a refund from Southwest. Apparently this is a manual process and might take a while. I've never actually done this, since I've used the funds for other flights, but I did notice that it is an option when you are canceling a fully refundable senior ticket.

Of course, you can also do the same thing with refundable tickets from other airlines, but their airfares tend to be a lot more expensive. Plus, it is really easy to change a Southwest ticket on their website and just charge $1-2 per "new" ticket.

Another way of accomplishing this is to charge the taxes for an award ticket on your card, change the flights slightly (and get new ticket numbers and new tax charged) and then cancel. That only works though if you have fee-free redeposit for the award. I personally found it simpler to go the Southwest route, especially since I had lots of sign-up bonus points to match.

If you have a credit on your Citi card, you can call them up and request them to send you a check for the balance, if you don't want to put any additional spend on the card.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:01 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by ZapperO
Can anyone confirm that this SouthWest Premiere Pass approach outlined below actually works? I have about 6 PP cards between various family members that all have not earned ANY flight rewards but yet have the original 20k TYP spend bonus from opening the account...this could be a very helpful approach to earn some more TY points.
This definitely works. I ended up requesting a refund for my final set of transactions, and it posted within 2-3 weeks. However, only one credit card was used for the charges. If you're interested in doing this, and are planning on going the refund route, it might be easiest to purchase a separate set of senior tickets for each credit card. I would also wait a few weeks before requesting the refund from Southwest.

For the non-elite Premier Pass cards, you'll need to have ~60K worth of miles (since flight points are only credited at a 3:1 rate). That is ~11 cross-country RTs (eg OAK-FLL, OAK-MHT).

Also, it is really easy to request Citi to send you a check for any credit balance on your account (it usually takes <1 wk after you ask for it, though they will tell you 7-14 business days).
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Originally Posted by sy7
This definitely works. I ended up requesting a refund for my final set of transactions, and it posted within 2-3 weeks. However, only one credit card was used for the charges. If you're interested in doing this, and are planning on going the refund route, it might be easiest to purchase a separate set of senior tickets for each credit card. I would also wait a few weeks before requesting the refund from Southwest.

For the non-elite Premier Pass cards, you'll need to have ~60K worth of miles (since flight points are only credited at a 3:1 rate). That is ~11 cross-country RTs (eg OAK-FLL, OAK-MHT).

Also, it is really easy to request Citi to send you a check for any credit balance on your account (it usually takes <1 wk after you ask for it, though they will tell you 7-14 business days).
Thanks for the details. I just went through and did a separate set of bookings for each card. All of the cards are Elite, so fortunately I don't need ~11 cross countries RTs....just 4 or 5 (to play it safe). I plan to go the refund route as I can't possibly use that much credit with Southwest.

I will post the outcome of all of this once the refunds post and hopefully once all of the TY flight points post.

My only remaining question is about how quickly PP Elite TY flight points will post and whether it matters if the dates of travel are before or after the closing date for the CC statement?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:55 pm
sy7

The flight points will post in the next statement after the date of the first flight on the ticket.

For example, if your statement closes on 4/15, and you purchase a ticket that has the first flight starting on 4/10, all flight points for that ticket will post with your 5/15 statement. If the first flight starts after 4/15, the points will post with your 6/15 statement.

Technically flights that start before 4/14 or so should post with your 5/15 statement, but in my experience, flights that start too close to the statement closing date might not post until the following statement.

Hope this is clear!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Flight Points, Purchase Points, Thank You points?

OK, I just saw the info here from sy7 and astryker about your flight points have to matched by purchasing before they equal thank you points. And I didnt know that was the case.
But lo and behold a reminder is listed at the bottom of my march statement.
Is this new in late '08 or '09?

I am confused becuase I havent charged $150k on my credit card over the 3 years I have had it - more like $30k - so where did the TY points come from?
Can anyone confirm that Flight points need to be matched $1 for 1 flight mile?

I searched the forum and dont see that info in more detail anywhere else, but if I missed it I apologize in advance...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.