Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Innovative ways to earn Citi ThankYou flight points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Prestige cardholders will not earn Flight Points for flights booked after October 2014. See THIS thread.
Print Wikipost

Innovative ways to earn Citi ThankYou flight points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamflyer
The last two comments and my own experience goes against Happy's authoritative post regarding the demise of flight points on award tickets. Who knows, maybe it will go away at some point...
I would love to earn flight points as much as anyone, but dont count on it.

Now if the $50 is a cut off, I soon would have an interesting case to deal with Citi. BTW, that also would mean your $20 experiment on the TYP redemption you anticipating or have already done, may not give you flight point. Who knows until 2 statements later.

I had a ticket originally ticketed at $243xx, fully refundable. Then it was re-ticketed with new itinerary with additional charge of $34xx. Flights happened in December. So we need to see January statement to see if flight points would post. If not, then the original e-receipt and additional charge e-receipt plus boarding passes will be faxed. it is a REVENUE ticket so it would be interesting to see how it would turn out.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Happy
I would love to earn flight points as much as anyone, but dont count on it.

Now if the $50 is a cut off, I soon would have an interesting case to deal with Citi. BTW, that also would mean your $20 experiment on the TYP redemption you anticipating or have already done, may not give you flight point. Who knows until 2 statements later.

I had a ticket originally ticketed at $243xx, fully refundable. Then it was re-ticketed with new itinerary with additional charge of $34xx. Flights happened in December. So we need to see January statement to see if flight points would post. If not, then the original e-receipt and additional charge e-receipt plus boarding passes will be faxed. it is a REVENUE ticket so it would be interesting to see how it would turn out.
Assuming this hit your credit card in two parts (original plus adder), I think your original flight for $243xx will post and the changed flight for $34xx will not. There was never a refund against the ticket number that cost $243xx, correct? Had the extra charge exceeded $50, they would have both posted. I am guessing on the $50. My data points say it is more than $40 and less than ~$70.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by jeelele
Would report in a month if regular paid tickets less than $50 earn flight points or not. That will clarify the criteria currently being used by Citi for awarding flight points to various itineraries.
Originally Posted by Happy
Originally Posted by Flyer737
Assuming this hit your credit card in two parts (original plus adder), I think your original flight for $243xx will post and the changed flight for $34xx will not. There was never a refund against the ticket number that cost $243xx, correct? Had the extra charge exceeded $50, they would have both posted. I am guessing on the $50. My data points say it is more than $40 and less than ~$70.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyer737
Correct. No refund on the original ticket and an new ticket issued on the additional charge.

Statement closes on Jan 26. First flight was Dec 3rd.

I will send them fax if they do not show on the Jan 26 statement.

BTW, the Dec 27 statement did not have charge but a payment line. I haven't seen the paper statement yet come to think about it. Went to Citi site to download it, and PDF form is NOT available yet! I dont know WHY sometimes the PDF form is available right away sometimes isn't. Request one and will see when it would become available.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
A little off base, but I've noticed that point totals for hotel bookings on the Thank You Network have gone up significantly in the past month or so! I'm wondering if this has to do with the cessation of Citi's relationship with Expedia.

Before, I expected a straight 1 point - $.01 conversion, which was not great but at least I knew what to expect. Now I'm seeing that the points have been devalued by anywhere from 15-30% for the same bookings on Expedia. Almost seems like it's not worth charging the LAX-HKG tickets on the PremierPass only to have to spend $10,000 to get the flight points from the trip which are now severely devalued.

Has anyone else noticed this or is this just me?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
A little off base, but I've noticed that point totals for hotel bookings on the Thank You Network have gone up significantly in the past month or so! I'm wondering if this has to do with the cessation of Citi's relationship with Expedia.

Before, I expected a straight 1 point - $.01 conversion, which was not great but at least I knew what to expect. Now I'm seeing that the points have been devalued by anywhere from 15-30% for the same bookings on Expedia. Almost seems like it's not worth charging the LAX-HKG tickets on the PremierPass only to have to spend $10,000 to get the flight points from the trip which are now severely devalued.

Has anyone else noticed this or is this just me?
no longer handled by expedia. It seems the flights have improved (no more bonus fee from expedia ~800points). But the hotel list has gotten much worse.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by virmaior
no longer handled by expedia. It seems the flights have improved (no more bonus fee from expedia ~800points). But the hotel list has gotten much worse.
Never really used TY points for flights because I wanted flight points from paid fares, but I'll have to keep that in mind. Maybe will just have to use the TY points I have for gift cards or statement credits, as crappy as the redemption rates are...
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
...use the TY points I have for gift cards or statement credits,...
I don't understand why you lump these together. Gift cards can return $0.01 per point, as good as any other use of ThankYou points. Statement credits are $0.007 or worse.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't understand why you lump these together. Gift cards can return $0.01 per point, as good as any other use of ThankYou points. Statement credits are $0.007 or worse.
Sorry if I seemed to lump these together, as the redemption rates are totally different. I agree that it's much better to get $.01 for gift cards than $.07 for statement credits.

I guess what I meant to say is that those two things are pretty much the only rewards that I'm interested in, now that hotel redemptions have been devalued.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
For GCs, only when you redeem at 10K level and the choices are very limited.

For example, Sears no longer has $100 GC offered. Now you are gauged by the 6K for $50 version. Luckily there is still a Land's End $100 10K, so you can order Land's End and use it at Sears or buy a Sears GC at K-Mart with the Land's End. For whatever reason, Sears automotive centers universally said they do NOT know if they can use Land's End GC when I called around our county. (Need tires)
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:18 pm

Here is a way

Offer to cater for your friend's big event and say that you would be happy to buy the ingredients etc. Use your credit card to charge everything and have them write you a check. In ayddition they will write the check for your services. Not only did you earn points for a free ticket you earned spending money for the hotel etc.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:29 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Not sure anyone has posted this yet, but Premier Pass Elite is being/will be converted to Thankyou Premier, therefore, if you have one and plan to continue carrying it, you can apply for Thankyou Premier now to get 20K bonus points (annual fee free 1st year) after 1K spending, and as soon as your Premier Pass Elite Card is converted and you get your 20K points, cancel the other Thankyou Premier. Your Thankyou Premier that comes from the conversion will carry the same annual fee as the old card ($75) and not the $125.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kiam
Not sure anyone has posted this yet,
Please read the forum Announcement which includes links to the discussion already in progress:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...tices-440.html
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by kiam
Not sure anyone has posted this yet, but Premier Pass Elite is being/will be converted to Thankyou Premier, therefore, if you have one and plan to continue carrying it, you can apply for Thankyou Premier now to get 20K bonus points (annual fee free 1st year) after 1K spending, and as soon as your Premier Pass Elite Card is converted and you get your 20K points, cancel the other Thankyou Premier. Your Thankyou Premier that comes from the conversion will carry the same annual fee as the old card ($75) and not the $125.
There isn't anything innovative about this. It is a simple churn if I understand your proposal correctly.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:53 am

I was offered 3500 TYPs for the PPE card back in April/May of last year which I accepted. I just found out that flight points did not get matched to those retention bonus points. I know that bonus points no longer earn matching flight points (and I was among the ones to report this). However, I thought that this practice stopped more towards Aug/Sept 2010.

Perhaps, Citi should educate retentions rep about this inability to earn matching flight points on the retention bonus as the retention reps still continue to falsely claim that it works. Misleading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.