Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:52 pm

I have been doing 2 personal cards every 65 days or so for my husband and me the last 6 months. Lat time I decided to do 2 Mastercards on the same day for hubbie about 2 hours apart. I got the same confirmation number, so didn't think they had processed 2 separate applications. That was the case when I called 2 days later. They only saw one application and it was approved. So I did the American Express application for him. It was approved when called. Before we had a chance to activate it, we got a call from the fraud department. They told us they needed to verify all online applications now. So I'm not sure what is going on at citi, but glad they didn't cancel it.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Not sure why you or anyone would do two cards at the same time, just for the very reason you gave. If you do a card every 30+ days it allows you to do the spending much easier and doesn't raise all the red flags your application did which does nothing but draw attention to your account and your activity. (i.e. fraud dept)

Jim
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Not sure why you or anyone would do two cards at the same time, just for the very reason you gave. If you do a card every 30+ days it allows you to do the spending much easier and doesn't raise all the red flags your application did which does nothing but draw attention to your account and your activity. (i.e. fraud dept)

Jim
For me, two applications at the same time resulted in one hard inquiry.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lyst
Before we had a chance to activate it, we got a call from the fraud department. They told us they needed to verify all online applications now. So I'm not sure what is going on at citi, but glad they didn't cancel it.
Originally Posted by CandymanJim

Jim
Citi system now can detect applications from SAME IP address and the Fraud Dept would get involved if apps are from same IP address being sent consecutively - they want to determine whether this is from ID theft/ or from those "Credit Repair" outfits. This was explained to me by a Fraud Dept rep when he called to verify if we had submitted 4 apps consecutively from same computer. We did, because we missed cycles due to our 1.5 month long trip and were 75 to 90 days from prev cycle respectively. So we wound up having applied same time.
In our case all 4 apps were submitted within an hour span. I do not realize that apps submitted days apart would still trigger Fraud Dept review.

The Fraud Dept guy was happy with his verification with one extra question, "was the computer used to submit app, a home computer or not?" It happened was the computer in the office and I told him so. I asked if Citi now can recognize the "home" computer? The answer is No. Unlike Chase or BofA, Citi does not have that ability.

However the Fraud Dept has nothing to do with the approval dept as he had to transfer me to the approval dept to find out the app status. The funny part is, one app rec'd instant approval, 2 deferred, and the approval emails already hit inbox when Fraud Dept called. 1 was denied by computer as it was the 8th inquiry within 6 months. I was going to call for reconsideration because I needed it for 1MM status. Since the Fraud Dept called, I might as well ask for the status...

The approval dept rep looked at the credit report, said all inquiries were from Citi, therefore I would have some leeway... He stopped short of approving me on the spot, but I found out 2 days later that the app was approved on the same day after the guy said to submit for reconsideration...

I attribute the successful reconsideration on the fact that eventhough double apps do not combine inquiries on our EX report, they were all in a pair on the same date... which may make the reconsideration much easier.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:55 pm

Reapply timeline

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Today I got an email rejecting the Amex, on the basis of "You have submitted multiple applications for credit."
So for Middle Seat and I, I believe the general sentiment from previous posts and other threads is that we have to wait an additional 60 days from this rejection to reapply?

I just wanted to verify, so I can set my Outlook reminder.

Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AUSMatt
So for Middle Seat and I, I believe the general sentiment from previous posts and other threads is that we have to wait an additional 60 days from this rejection to reapply?

I just wanted to verify, so I can set my Outlook reminder.

Thanks.
Correct, and set your Outlook to at least 70-75 days or more from that instead of the 60 if you want to play it safe. Else, each rejection would push your clock further.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by mkpkmp
For me, two applications at the same time resulted in one hard inquiry.
Adding another data point to this, as I just pulled my Experian report today. 2 cards approved in mid May - 1 hard pull. 2 cards approved in July - 1 hard pull.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, UA.
I have question about "1MM status" - Is this what you accumulate over the time?
Which balance do they use ?

Program to Date Miles = balance
or
Total Available Award Mileage = balance

Thanks!
Lee
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by moon4fun
I have question about "1MM status" - Is this what you accumulate over the time?
Which balance do they use ?

Program to Date Miles = balance
or
Total Available Award Mileage = balance

Thanks!
Lee
Program to Date Miles

For answers to other questions about AA, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eck-out-2.html
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:37 pm

I read through the FAQ and scanned through most of these pages, so I "get it" in terms of the "wait at least 60 days since the last application" and the timing for Personal Cards vs Business.

If you have an account(s) already, do you call in to cancel the account(s) before the 60 days are up so that you can reapply? (I was reading and it seems like consolidating accounts don't work very well). Do you have to cancel the existing account first to apply for a new one and get the bonus, or can you cancel later and have multiple citicard accounts (up to whatever the maximum is allowed?)
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
If you have an account(s) already, do you call in to cancel the account(s) before the 60 days are up so that you can reapply? (I was reading and it seems like consolidating accounts don't work very well). Do you have to cancel the existing account first to apply for a new one and get the bonus, or can you cancel later and have multiple citicard accounts (up to whatever the maximum is allowed?)
I used to use consolidation. I haven't tried since early august, but it looks like this loophole is closing. You don't need to call. Just send them a message in the secure message center, and <= 1hr M-F, they will close it. (I don't know about the weekends).

They let me keep about 5 or 6 cards open at a time, but I've had other cards with citi for 6 or 7 years now. This is a YMMV issue; they seem to vary the max # depending on the phase of the moon and its conjunction with jupiter.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:20 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Conolidation?

Why do folks prefer consolidation to simply sending an email via the citionline tool and closing. This it would seem to me that to close would provide available line for the next application...rather than moving the line to the other consolidate into citi card and lowering the line available for citi to provide for the next set of accounts.

What am I missing?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:06 am

The whole issue about whether to close an account before opening up another is very confusing for me as well.

I have seen several posts say that you do not need to close an account before opening another. On a web site (frugal something or other), the author said the same thing and then added that Citibank will let you know when you have too many cards.

Is there some negative consequence for closing an account that I am not getting???

For one thing, I am amazed that Citibank doesn't reject an application when a person opens the exact same credit card they already have open!!! Does this mean that I could somehow get 6 Citibank AAdvantage Mastercards open in my name if I have no other Citibank credit cards??? If not 6, can I somehow get 3 open at the same time???

This is truly something I don't understand and I hope someone can clarify with their own experience.

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:26 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Things used to be that Citi wouldn't allow you more than 3 personal cards at a time (based upon my knowledge of their credit policy 10 years ago). It seems clear things have changed since then....that said, it seems simplest to just spend within 60 days; close and re-apply. I really don't get the consolidation motivation.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by nyc6035
Things used to be that Citi wouldn't allow you more than 3 personal cards at a time (based upon my knowledge of their credit policy 10 years ago). It seems clear things have changed since then....that said, it seems simplest to just spend within 60 days; close and re-apply. I really don't get the consolidation motivation.
The motivation could be to maintain your current CL. We've personally tested both patterns: Mrs. C cancels everything but one Citicard and reapplies, Mr. C consolidates onto one, cancels the others.

Mrs. C's CL across her Citicards used to be 70k+
Mr. C's CL across his Citicards used to be 70k+

After last 2 churns, Mrs. C is only getting a max. of 10-15k per AA card now, where previously it was over 20k (when you could do up to 3 cards). So Mrs. C's total CL with Citi is now under 30k, where it used to be over 70k. (No changes in income, debt, credit score, etc., so this seems to be an internal credit issue with Citi).

Mr. C still has over 70k in CL and just keeps getting new Citi AA cards at 2k per new card, which seems to be their minimum. Will have to decide now if we should pay to keep this one card with the big CL and just suck it up and pay the annual fee. Would hate to replace this card with one that has a CL of, let's say 10k or so...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.