Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you are a Citigold member.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:49 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I got a promotion in the mail today: new CitiGold accounts get $50 free and the referrer gets a spiff as well. PM me if you were going to signup for CitiGold anyway and we both win.

Mods: please delete if this is against posting guidelines but since it's mutually beneficial it seemed worth posting.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 4:44 pm
zlc

Originally Posted by kiam
Forgot to mention another great things about banking with Citi as Citigold in relating to the new ThankYou Program when banking.

1. Checking Account (CitiGold type)
2. Debit Card (linked to CitiGold checking)
3. Savings Account (of any type)
4. One CD
5. At least one online Bill Payment per month
6. Direct Deposit
7. Loans, Mortgage...etc

With all these activities (7+), you will get 1200 ThankYou points each month without doing anything else. Points can be combined with credit card ThankYou points when redeemed. If you are not Citigold, with 7+ activities, you will get much less points.

Points from spending on Debit Card is not included yet.
Are you getting 1200 points for those 7? I am only getting 900, I was told that debit card/credit card does not count since they generate points by themselves while using it.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by zlc
Are you getting 1200 points for those 7? I am only getting 900, I was told that debit card/credit card does not count since they generate points by themselves while using it.

i have been getting 1200 points for ever 1 year following products.

Citigold Checking
ATM - have to use it 1X per month(buy a coke at 7-11)
CD - $500 6 month cd @ 4.5%
Checking Plus(never used it 1X 0 balance)
E-savings account
Bill pay - send my self 5 check each month
Direct Deposit - move 5 bucks from ING in and out each month and it counts
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:10 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
The base amount has to do with checking and debit card (ATM). I don't think you actually have to use it as a debit card (use it period) to get credit for it. You DO have to make a bill payment each month. I have 2 citigold in which I am primary, and I am short one product on one of the accounts, so I get 900 points on that account. I have to get checking plus on it, then I will get the full amount. I have only 1 debit card and it comes out of my other citigold account, but I believe there are months where I have not used it and still gotten the 1200. I mainly use it at Sam't club since they don't take credit cards, and I have stopped making a trip to Wal-mart to get a gift card.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by dgordon
I have only 1 debit card and it comes out of my other citigold account, but I believe there are months where I have not used it and still gotten the 1200. I mainly use it at Sam't club since they don't take credit cards, and I have stopped making a trip to Wal-mart to get a gift card.
Why dont you make a trip to Wal-mart for gift cards? Atleast you earn some miles this way
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:30 am

I used to do it, and I might again, but when it requires a special trip, I've decided it isn't worth it. I get 1 thank you point for each $3 spent with the debit card, and it seems to count cash back in getting those points, so at least I get something.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: Plat AA,CO and Delta, Avis First
You know there are other cards out there you can earn points for flying on any airline and no annual fee. There might be a transaction fee
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by SAFLYER66
You know there are other cards out there you can earn points for flying on any airline and no annual fee. There might be a transaction fee

I think you are missing the whole point. You get 1200 Thank you points just for banking with Citibank. Dont have to do anything really to get 1200 points a month.

I buy a $0.85 cent can of coke every month at 7-11. So in effect i am getting 300 points for less than 1 dollar.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:19 pm

I also have the premier pass card from Citibank and get Thank you points - 2 for each $1 spent at grocery stores and gas stations and charging any flight for anyone gives me points for the mileage - even on award travel. So without doing much, I have about 60,000 points. Also, the fee is waived because of citigold.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Are the banking points supposed to help transfer out held flight points? Seems the only way I get Flight points are by purchases on that credit card. When the 1200 banking points transfer, no matching flight points get applied. Is this correct behavior or should I call them?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:04 pm

They all get pooled into one account, if you go to their web-site and add sponsor accounts. When you redeem ( I have not redeemed yet), you would need as many flight points as non flight points. So If you had 15,000 flight points and only 10000 non flight points, you could not get a 25,000 airline ticket. However, if you had 12,500 non flight points, you could use 12,500 of your flight points to get a ticket. That is my understanding of how it works. Purchases on the card for things other than airline tickets are non flight points, as are points from other credit cards that give thank you points, and from thank you points you get from banking.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by daveland
Are the banking points supposed to help transfer out held flight points? Seems the only way I get Flight points are by purchases on that credit card. When the 1200 banking points transfer, no matching flight points get applied. Is this correct behavior or should I call them?
I think they are doing it right.

There are credit card points, and there are banking points.

With banking points, when you earn them, they are transferred to your (hopefully pooled) TY Account each month. They are yours to use and don't need to be matched.

With credit card points, they will not transfer flight points from your credit card purchases to your TY account until that same credit card has earned an equal or greater number of purchase, bonus, and/or select spend points. Once you do that, all of those points are transferred to your TY account, and are thereafter simply called TY points - they are indistinguishable from each other or from the points you earned from banking, and can be spent however you'd like.

The requirement to match flight point with purchase/select spend/bonus points is only at the point of transfer from the credit card to the TY account.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by dgordon
They all get pooled into one account, if you go to their web-site and add sponsor accounts. When you redeem ( I have not redeemed yet), you would need as many flight points as non flight points. So If you had 15,000 flight points and only 10000 non flight points, you could not get a 25,000 airline ticket. However, if you had 12,500 non flight points, you could use 12,500 of your flight points to get a ticket. That is my understanding of how it works. Purchases on the card for things other than airline tickets are non flight points, as are points from other credit cards that give thank you points, and from thank you points you get from banking.
Does this mean if I actually wanted an award I could call and point out all the banking points in there that were not matched already by flight points and they will then move over flight points to equal what non-flight points I've earned?

Unless it works as psychtobe explained in which case I only get matches on that credit card's spending and not the banking points...
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:21 am

I have never gotten an award but my understanding is that they get pooled (if you haven't done that, I was suggest doing that) and that they would see that you have enough non flight thank you points. If right now you don't, I suppose you could try and see what happens. Perhaps someone else has actually gotten a ticket.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Diners Club, Citi Chairman, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, SPG Gold, Marriott Slvr
Originally Posted by daveland
Does this mean if I actually wanted an award I could call and point out all the banking points in there that were not matched already by flight points and they will then move over flight points to equal what non-flight points I've earned?

Unless it works as psychtobe explained in which case I only get matches on that credit card's spending and not the banking points...

Banking points go directly into your ThankYou Points account.

Premier Pass/Chairman card purchase points are accrued on your card and then transfered from the card to your ThankYou Points account each month.

Flight points are accrued on your card, but do not transfer to your Thank You account unless you have enough purchase points. Therefore, banking points cannot help you "liberate your purchase points".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.