Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Citi credit card oversea transaction fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I just received the notice of change in terms regarding oversea transaction.

"For each purchase made in a foreign currency, we add an additional finance charge of 3.0% of the amount of the purchase after its conversion into US dollars. This foreign currency transaction fee will be added to the appropriate purchase balance with the foreign currency purchase."

I am thinking of canceling this card with this new fee. Does anyone know if Starwoods Amex card also have 3% oversea transaction fee?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:26 am

MilesBuzz?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
MilesBuzz?
Certainly not milesbuzz. My apology. Could the moderator move this thread to the credit card programs? Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:35 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Originally Posted by ilovetofly
Certainly not milesbuzz. My apology. Could the moderator move this thread to the credit card programs? Thanks!
As you wish
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:36 am

For years, Citi has charged the 1% Visa/MC fx fee + their own 2% fee for a total fee of 3%. I wonder if they're going to a total fee of 4% now? I haven't received this, and I have the Citi AAdvantage card.

I believe all Amex cards (including Starwood) charge a flat 2% fx fee.

When overseas, I use either my Target Visa credit card or my Umbrellabank.com debit card. Those along with most MBNA Visa/MC cards charge only the 1% Visa/MC fx fee, but nothing more. They also seem to give pretty good fx rates before the fee.

You can find much more about this topic in the Visa/MC and Amex forums here on Flyertalk.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i didn't see anything about dropping the current fees....has anyone confirmed this? also ' does the term "finance charge" have any implications like accruing interest from the post date? i will probably call them, but it is difficult for me to keep my cool when trying to find out something from citi...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:08 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
No more +1% by Visa/Mastercard

It looks like Visa and Mastercard have stopped adding automaticly the adjustment factor to the amounts.

Banks are now doing this bia a "Foreign Currency Conversion Fee", "Finance Charge" or other nice title.

My BoA now adds 3% to the $ amount, my Citi also 3%, my Household 1% (how do they do it?) and I am sure the next statement of some other provider is showing similar things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.