FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   AAdvantage Citi credit card oversea transaction fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/399757-aadvantage-citi-credit-card-oversea-transaction-fee.html)

ilovetofly Feb 13, 2005 9:39 am

AAdvantage Citi credit card oversea transaction fee

I just received the notice of change in terms regarding oversea transaction.

"For each purchase made in a foreign currency, we add an additional finance charge of 3.0% of the amount of the purchase after its conversion into US dollars. This foreign currency transaction fee will be added to the appropriate purchase balance with the foreign currency purchase."

I am thinking of canceling this card with this new fee. Does anyone know if Starwoods Amex card also have 3% oversea transaction fee?

UpgradeMe Feb 13, 2005 10:26 am

MilesBuzz?

ilovetofly Feb 13, 2005 10:33 am

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
MilesBuzz?

Certainly not milesbuzz. My apology. Could the moderator move this thread to the credit card programs? Thanks!

flipside Feb 13, 2005 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ilovetofly
Certainly not milesbuzz. My apology. Could the moderator move this thread to the credit card programs? Thanks!

As you wish :)

themicah Feb 13, 2005 10:36 am

For years, Citi has charged the 1% Visa/MC fx fee + their own 2% fee for a total fee of 3%. I wonder if they're going to a total fee of 4% now? I haven't received this, and I have the Citi AAdvantage card.

I believe all Amex cards (including Starwood) charge a flat 2% fx fee.

When overseas, I use either my Target Visa credit card or my Umbrellabank.com debit card. Those along with most MBNA Visa/MC cards charge only the 1% Visa/MC fx fee, but nothing more. They also seem to give pretty good fx rates before the fee.

You can find much more about this topic in the Visa/MC and Amex forums here on Flyertalk.

clacko Feb 19, 2005 1:44 pm

i didn't see anything about dropping the current fees....has anyone confirmed this? also ' does the term "finance charge" have any implications like accruing interest from the post date? i will probably call them, but it is difficult for me to keep my cool when trying to find out something from citi...

sven60035 Feb 21, 2005 6:08 am

No more +1% by Visa/Mastercard

It looks like Visa and Mastercard have stopped adding automaticly the adjustment factor to the amounts.

Banks are now doing this bia a "Foreign Currency Conversion Fee", "Finance Charge" or other nice title.

My BoA now adds 3% to the $ amount, my Citi also 3%, my Household 1% (how do they do it?) and I am sure the next statement of some other provider is showing similar things.