Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Citi AA Executive card July 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Citi AA Executive card July 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2023, 9:54 pm

So, if you apply today, do you lock in the lower annual fee and AUs for a year? Seems like it has to be yes, since that is what the advertised offer says.

If you value AA miles it would be kind of stupid since the sign up bonus goes up by 50k, but the spend also goes up to $10k. I still can’t see why anyone would do this, but interesting.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:21 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by lkar
So, if you apply today, do you lock in the lower annual fee and AUs for a year? Seems like it has to be yes, since that is what the advertised offer says..
Yes; card issuers can’t increase AFs during the first 12 months so you’ll lock in the $450 and any AUs you add right away for the first year
Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
As someone in the AA ecosystem with both the Executive and Aviator Silver cards and now at about 90k loyalty points in the current year my immediate take on the implications of the changes:
1. Stop spending on this card now. I'm at 23k on the way to 40k (to get the LP boost); this no longer seems necessary. Will focus on Aviator Silver spend to hit it's LP bonus thresholds.
2. At some point in time after July 23rd I should get a 20k LP boost based on my Loyalty point balance. That will be sweet.
3. My annual fee typically posts mid August. As has been speculated, I'm guessing no change to the annual fee or authorized user fee this year, but will kick in next year- we shall see.

Assuming this is correct will definitely renew for this year, and the more difficult decision will be next year. Currently have 5 AU's and if keeping the card will definitely pare down to 3 at the most. Thoughts?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I’m not sure why anyone would need both cards, but if you did have them, does that mean that $50k in spend on Barclays would get you to 75,000 lps? And another 15,000 earned gets you to 100,000? It’s just weird to think that Citi is going to give you lps for spend on a Barclays card.
Would also love to understand this better+1
Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS
So, if you apply today, do you lock in the lower annual fee and AUs for a year? Seems like it has to be yes, since that is what the advertised offer says.

If you value AA miles it would be kind of stupid since the sign up bonus goes up by 50k, but the spend also goes up to $10k. I still can’t see why anyone would do this, but interesting.
I applied today and was very surprised to get denial. Applied through my Citi account portal.
I have always received cards applied for, including CSR.
Credit score above 800, I am far below 5/24 card restriction. No hard pulls in the last year.
Response with Denial said they would send email within 15 days with explanation for denial.

I wonder if Citi or AA has put a hold on approvals for this card until the AF increase goes into effect at the end of the month.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
I applied today and was very surprised to get denial. Applied through my Citi account portal.
Credit score above 800, I am far below 5/24 card restriction. No hard pulls in the last year.
Response with Denial said they would send email within 15 days with explanation for denial.

I wonder if Citi or AA has put a hold on approvals for this card until the AF increase goes into effect at the end of the month.
1 person got approved on 7/12 with 30k limit.
source: myficoforum.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:00 pm

Interesting. Just curious why you applied now instead of waiting -- were you thinking of adding a larger number of AUs such that the extra 50k mile sign up bonus is not worth it?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Appears to be an effort to get those of us who pay the AF as discounted Admirals Club membership, keep the card in the sock drawer to start using it (Lyft, Grubhub, etc.). I have until May to decide, but as most of my travel is now on Alaska, no need for LPs as a LT PLT, renewal is highly unlikely.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:08 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anybody know if there is a similar overhaul for the Citi AAdvantage Business Cards.....?

Thanks !!
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Executive card exists because of the bundled Admirals Club membership. It competes with the United Club and Delta Reserve cards. There is no indication that Citi is changing the other AAdvantage cards (Platinum, MileUp. Business) at this time.
dw and LovePrunes like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:14 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mia
The Executive card exists because of the bundled Admirals Club membership. It competes with the United Club and Delta Reserve cards. There is no indication that Citi is changing the other AAdvantage cards (Platinum, MileUp. Business) at this time.
Thanks.... not what I wanted to hear but its good to know the facts.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: AS

I had my financial advisor look into this. Turns out that “a lack of installment loans” was the reason for decline. All houses and cars are paid and no outstanding debt. Revolving credit cards do not qualify as installment product.
Interesting to see a good credit risk be declined for lack of debt.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....“a lack of installment loans”
This can lower a credit score, but it is probably not the sole reason for a decline. Did any of your card accounts show a balance at the time of the application? Citi will decline if it appears that you are not using existing accounts.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Weirdly there's no business version of the Executive Card, like Delta and United have.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
So you only get the Lyft credit on the 4th ride of the month? And I assume the first 3 would have to charged to the Exec card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.