Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Citi Custom Cash card - 5% in top eligible category

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi Custom Cash card - 5% in top eligible category

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021 | 4:32 am
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by steve4
Which airline ?
United via Turkish
Old Jun 15, 2021 | 7:38 am

Yeah I figured that was the airline as I couldn’t find availability for several dates in the near future. I hope this is a temporary issue and doesn’t become a “new normal.”
Old Jun 15, 2021 | 9:44 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, WF, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by jags86
Unless Im mistaken, all TYP are redeemable at $0.01/pt now regardless of what product you have.
No, not as cash, unless you have Prestige.
Old Jun 15, 2021 | 9:54 am

Originally Posted by yugi
No, not as cash, unless you have Prestige.
They changed this. You can redeem TYP for $0.01 each with no minimums as a statement credit or direct deposit. There’s a $5 minimum if you want a check.
Adelphos and yugi like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021 | 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler Gold, Delta Gold, Alaska/VX Gold, SPG Gold for Life
Not sure about everybody else, but I think this looks like a great card. Haven't had any citi cards because they are pretty weak reward-wise. I don't want/need the rotating category hassle. I need to set up charges and autopay and then forget about it.
Grocery stores. (mastercards don't work at Costco...)
Restaurants. (already have 4% cashback savor card and spend more than $500 in this category irregularly)
Gas stations. (have an electric car [see below], the gas-guzzling truck stays parked, and use a visa to fill up at Costco)
Streaming services. (if you spend $500 month on netflix, disney, hulu, hbo, you have other problems than cashback???)
Drugstores. (hsa/fsa ...)
Home improvement stores. (Great backup category for when I get a project)
Fitness clubs. (wow, even equinox isn't $500 a month, troll category to make the list look big citi?)
Select travel. (spend more than $500 but not every month, ticket prices vary so much rather use a better travel reward card).
Live entertainment. (maybe if I purchased broadway/concert tickets each month, but I already get 4% on my savor in this category which I don't use)
Select transit.(DING DING - we have a winner!) Here is what I found - **Select transit is defined as car rentals, ferries, commuter railways, subways, taxis/limousines/car services, passenger railways, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, bus lines and motor home and recreational vehicle rentals. It also includes merchants that sell electricity for charging an electric vehicle.
So I easily spend a few hundred dollars on rental cars every other month (probably more now that you can't get a rental car). I'm spending at least $25 monthly on bridge and highway tolls. Now that it's safe to ride in an Uber/Lyft to the airport and short trips another $100 month. Finally, instead of gas, my supercharger bill can run $50 a month or so for the electric car. Plus this would come in handy on the occasional rail, subway, mass transit trip and I could pretty easily get close to the $500 without going over/under. I'll update flyertalk after a few months of use to confirm they actually pay these categories.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021 | 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mailbotx
Select transit.(DING DING - we have a winner!) Here is what I found - **Select transit is defined as car rentals, ferries, commuter railways, subways, taxis/limousines/car services, passenger railways, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, bus lines and motor home and recreational vehicle rentals. It also includes merchants that sell electricity for charging an electric vehicle.
Wowsers, that's crazy! Please let us know if you get 5% back for charging your electric car!

Last edited by mia; Jun 17, 2021 at 5:20 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Jun 17, 2021 | 6:01 am

Not sure about everybody else, but I think this looks like a great card. Haven't had any citi cards because they are pretty weak reward-wise. I don't want/need the rotating category hassle. I need to set up charges and autopay and then forget about it.
Restaurants. (already have 4% cashback savor card and spend more than $500 in this category irregularly)
Gas stations. (have an electric car [see below], the gas-guzzling truck stays parked, and use a visa to fill up at Costco)
Streaming services. (if you spend $500 month on netflix, disney, hulu, hbo, you have other problems than cashback???)
Fitness clubs. (wow, even equinox isn't $500 a month, troll category to make the list look big citi?)
Select travel. (spend more than $500 but not every month, ticket prices vary so much rather use a better travel reward card).
Live entertainment. (maybe if I purchased broadway/concert tickets each month, but I already get 4% on my savor in this category which I don't use)
So I easily spend a few hundred dollars on rental cars every other month (probably more now that you can't get a rental car). I'm spending at least $25 monthly on bridge and highway tolls. Now that it's safe to ride in an Uber/Lyft to the airport and short trips another $100 month. Finally, instead of gas, my supercharger bill can run $50 a month or so for the electric car. Plus this would come in handy on the occasional rail, subway, mass transit trip and I could pretty easily get close to the $500 without going over/under. I'll update flyertalk after a few months of use to confirm they actually pay these categories.
This is the great thing about this card, its customizable to the customers needs. Some need it for dining, others for groceries, travel, transit, etc.
Old Jun 17, 2021 | 8:51 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My concern about using this card for car rentals is that I don't believe it will have any car rental insurance benefits. I would likely use a different card to get the coverage. If you are otherwise covered then no issue but something to consider.
Old Jun 17, 2021 | 10:23 am

Programs: UA Million Miler Gold, Delta Gold, Alaska/VX Gold, SPG Gold for Life
Originally Posted by cjw2001
My concern about using this card for car rentals is that I don't believe it will have any car rental insurance benefits. I would likely use a different card to get the coverage. If you are otherwise covered then no issue but something to consider.
Fair point, but I use a rental car contract number that includes the "collision loss coverage" so I don't need to use a credit card to cover that risk. Thought most cards that have rental car coverage act as secondary coverage for rental cars versus primary? So you still have to use your regular auto insurance as primary. For example, [Since this is a citi card thread, I found the Costco Citi card rental coverage says]:

This means that if You have another insurance policy that will cover the cost of damage or theft to Your rental car, this benefit will cover only the amount Your other policies do not.
Old Jun 18, 2021 | 3:13 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, WF, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Costco is not a grocery store (different MCC coding), so you won't get 5x there even if accepted.
Just spend $500 once a month at a grocery store or a gas station, and you're done.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021 | 9:40 pm
30 Countries Visited30 Nights3M20 Years on Site

I phoned in today and they wouldn’t let me product change until October 1 (had a citi thank you premier card for the bonus, downgraded to rewards plus).

This card definitely isn’t worth a 5/24 slot and isn’t a game changer with the $500 monthly restriction, but still a good card. I’m thinking of getting rid of my Amex gold personal (I have a TON of Amex points, one million) and using this card for groceries 5% back and the B of A cash rewards card (plat honors) picking my category as dining for 5.25% back. Right now the Amex gold personal gets me the equivalent of 6.16% back if redeemed for airfare but it’s a hassle to use the Uber eats and grubhub/ shake shack credit every month to offset the annual fee.
Old Jun 25, 2021 | 5:46 am

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
I phoned in today and they wouldnt let me product change until October 1 (had a citi thank you premier card for the bonus, downgraded to rewards plus).

This card definitely isnt worth a 5/24 slot and isnt a game changer with the $500 monthly restriction, but still a good card. Im thinking of getting rid of my Amex gold personal (I have a TON of Amex points, one million) and using this card for groceries 5% back and the B of A cash rewards card (plat honors) picking my category as dining for 5.25% back. Right now the Amex gold personal gets me the equivalent of 6.16% back if redeemed for airfare but its a hassle to use the Uber eats and grubhub/ shake shack credit every month to offset the annual fee.
Im in a similar situation as I might not renew my Amex Gold and Green cards later this year once I get the Custom Cash and Premier cards because of hassle and redundancy. My only concern is that Citi customer service isnt as good as Amex, so I have been considering keeping the Green or just using my Blue Business Plus for travel. Luckily, I never had a travel related dispute in the past, but if I do in the future, I know Amex will be a lot more helpful than Citi.
Old Jul 5, 2021 | 3:34 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Unless Im mistaken, all TYP are redeemable at $0.01/pt now regardless of what product you have.
As others have indicated, that is not the case sadly. Can confirm that there are no $0.01/pt options for - TY Preferred, AT&T Access More, Rewards+, and Sears TY. Your only way to cash out for that on those is mortgage or student loans.
Old Jul 5, 2021 | 9:12 am

Originally Posted by brajalle
As others have indicated, that is not the case sadly. Can confirm that there are no $0.01/pt options for - TY Preferred, AT&T Access More, Rewards+, and Sears TY. Your only way to cash out for that on those is mortgage or student loans.
ok, but for purposes of the custom cash card, you can cash out TYP at $0.01/pt.
Old Jul 5, 2021 | 8:40 pm

I may have missed it, does this card have the +2yr extended warranty benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.