Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I seem to recall that Hilton Honors also closed a number of hilton accounts around that same period of time for abuse of subs and pooling based upon an initial algorithm or review that was very broad. A number of accounts that pooled were closed and then reopened if there was no evidence of card or sub abuse. I’m boarding a flight and cant find the threads at the moment.
Pooling, not subs related iirc. There were some shutdowns triggered by pooling when HH accused point selling.

Also members who habitually complained thus received compensation points. There was even a thread initiated by an FT member whose and her boyfriend's accounts were closed by Hilton which accused them complained about almost every stay they had. Then they pooled their points to the one who had status.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:07 pm

deleted, not worth arguing. I'll just wait to see how the litigation goes.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
I doubt that this was undertaken without Citi's full participation and agreement. I also continue to believe that a very likely source for all of this would be Citi's own regulators who picked up on multiple extensions of the same credit to the same people (or blenders and toaster ovens living at the same address) and have become concerned about the extensions of credit.

That could cause Citi and AA to act rapidly together and to sort out the mess after the fact, e.g., reviewing accounts and then reinstating, reaching an agreement of some kind, or terminating altogether.
Banks do not operate the way you think / believe. Banks only approve credit cards, or extend credit, in this case, UNSECURED credit to a person with SSN, has a credit history in this country, and the credit history shows to the bank said applicant is a creditworthy person..
A financial 101 might be helpful.

Besides, have you still no idea for how long the Citi scheme has been going on? It is over 10 years in one form or another, encouraging customers to apply for multiple AAdvantage cards. Even for the current fiasco, the center of the instrument that allows applicants to bypass the 24 and later 48 months interval, the infamous mailer and emailer, started from 2016...

And now Citi and AA "rapidly" move into action to remove the credit extension, after the mailer train going on for 30 months if not more?

It might be a meaningful post of yours, if the background of this is at least understood at the first place...

Last edited by Happy; Dec 23, 2019 at 8:04 pm Reason: correct timeline info
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
I would have thought the regulatory issue is too much credit extended to any one individual, rather than how many accounts they have. Doesn't Citi have limits as to how much they'll extend and will move credit lines between accounts to keep aggregate credit under control?

Also, the churners have been insisting they are only opening credit cards in their own names and social security numbers and are otherwise being honest in the credit card application. The issue seems to be how they got offer codes.
It is not insisting - it is how things work! You can ONLY open a credit card in your own name, your own SSN, your own reported income, with any bank in this country... And it has always been This Way.

You could get a liar loan on mortgage etc during the hay days of housing bubble before the financial crisis, but even at that time, a credit card application has to be in a real person's name, ssn, reported income, with the credit history associated with that ssn - that is why ID theft is such a bad thing... esp back then the security measure wasn't as robust as now.

It amazes me that after the financial crisis over 10 years ago, in 2019 there are still some unfathomable misconception how a credit card application is done, and how a financial institution handle credit card approval... Really mind boggling.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slickw
How does AA cancelling an AA account mitigate Citi's risk of credit extended to people real or imagined?
Not only that, banks would never extend credit to an imagined "person".

Cannot believe the amount of misconception shown on this thread, when such should be basics to understand personal finance, if not for anything else.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI
If an offer comes into the household, there's nothing wrong with asking the merchant if they'll honor it for another household member, and editable name fields and approved applications with another name is a pretty good indication that the answer is yes.
Except that the offers comes to an individual AA account, not a household/family AA account.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DVDBob
I don't think reserving a meal would do anything to trigger action, as miles aren't changing hands, so to speak. If the DPs from Reddit (the folks getting canceled tickets AFTER check-in - mentioned a couple of days ago) are true then perhaps the check-in process triggers something and if the account is flagged it cancels the ticket.
There are many future reward bookings being canceled - from a few weeks out to many months out, well into Sept 2020 from what I was told by those who were affected.

Check in is not a trigger. It just coincidence that the cancellation came after check in.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slickw
For those getting flights cancelled is it likely that their accounts were under review (locked) and they had no idea? Or are there reports of people with active accounts showing up at the airport (or mid-journey) to find out tickets are cancelled?
Your question is unanswerable because -

An active account can turn into locked account or terminated account within hours / days / weeks.

For example, today learned about that a person left the country when his account was active, then he found out his account now is locked while he is still out of the country. His return flight still looks OK, for now. But he is not coming back until next month... What say you?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, used my App which automatically directed me to the ExPlat desk. Had a change of plans, and called to cancel some reservations and have miles redeposited.

PS - after the welcome message, I did receive the usual recordings "prompts" asking the purpose of my call, etc.
This does not necessarily mean you are not locked,
I called to check on a new reservation last week that went pending, i received the usual prompts asking about the purpose of the call, talked to AAdvantage, then transferred to ticketing then after many holds i was informed my account is locked and will be contacted by corp security.
if your account is locked you can cancel flights and get them redeposited into your account, try to use miles is the key.
Happy and Visconti like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Troopers
Except that the offers comes to an individual AA account, not a household/family AA account.
The offer comes to an individual person. Another individual person in the same household asks if they can use it instead, truthfully completing the application with their own information. Bank says yes. How is this obviously abusive? The point of it being in the same household isn't that it's the household's AA account, but only that there's a pretty common fact pattern that's more benign than trading/selling offer codes online or setting up phony AA accounts to generate mailers.

The Flyertalk credit card boards are largely about taking advantage of American banks' eagerness to spend their marketing budgets sending people on nice trips. We all have different views on how much is too much and when it all becomes exploitive/abusive/fraudulent. Citi had (maybe still has) its internal incentives aligned in such a way that its AA marketing team pushed new applications and signup bonuses far beyond anything that could possibly make sense for the bank as a whole, and people took advantage of that. In between arguing about the morality of it all, this thread is about trying to figure out where AA is drawing the lines and why. Our views on where those lines should be may or may not align with AA's.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by WrightHI; Dec 23, 2019 at 8:00 pm Reason: Correction: AA, not Citi, in last sentences
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
An active account can turn into locked account or terminated account within hours / days / weeks.
While I'm generally not concerned, I'm aware of the potential to be adversely affected, just as with everyone else. For all I know, it could happen at any time and they just haven't gotten around to my account yet. I'm not unprepared and while I wouldn't appreciate having my miles confiscated, it wouldn't really move the needle all that much for me. To hedge, I refunded some mileage flights and replaced them with revenue ones until this thing blows over.
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:04 pm

To hedge, I refunded some mileage flights and replaced them with revenue ones until this thing blows over.
That's not a hedge. That's a double down.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by fttc
That's not a hedge. That's a double down.
LOL...I'm a degenerate gambler, what can I say?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Your question is unanswerable because -

For example, today learned about that a person left the country when his account was active, then he found out his account now is locked while he is still out of the country. His return flight still looks OK, for now. But he is not coming back until next month... What say you?
I'd say in my case I would be significantly more concerned if my flight was in a month or longer verses a few days. In his case? I'd be making plan B pronto. My AA award is plan B. If it holds I'll pay $200 to get 75K Lifemiles back and instead burn AA miles likely living on borrowed time.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WrightHI
The offer comes to an individual person. Another individual person in the same household asks if they can use it instead, truthfully completing the application with their own information. Bank says yes. How is this obviously abusive? The point of it being in the same household isn't that it's the household's AA account, but only that there's a pretty common fact pattern that's more benign than trading/selling offer codes online or setting up phony AA accounts to generate mailers.

The Flyertalk credit card boards are largely about taking advantage of American banks' eagerness to spend their marketing budgets sending people on nice trips. We all have different views on how much is too much and when it all becomes exploitive/abusive/fraudulent. Citi had (maybe still has) its internal incentives aligned in such a way that its AA marketing team pushed new applications and signup bonuses far beyond anything that could possibly make sense for the bank as a whole, and people took advantage of that. In between arguing about the morality of it all, this thread is about trying to figure out where AA is drawing the lines and why. Our views on where those lines should be may or may not align with AA's.
And I suspect the more recent tweets JonNYC posted, seem to align with what you think. Those who continue to inject the morality in this thread which should be a DP collection / how to handle adverse situation, etc thread, should read those tweets.

Or go to post in the parallel (sort of) thread in the AA forum.

From Jon's twitter feed:
"I have so many DMs from folks whose story does -not- sync up with the “they’re all a bunch of cheaters!” narrative. (And, yes, I do believe these folks, since that’s a logical query.) Folks with lifetime status and long AA histories that, again, to....me, really, genuinely just don’t fit the mould in any way. My -assumption- is that they will eventually get warnings and penalties (this is the group I’m describing— not overall per se,) but man I feel bad for some of these members, it’s a very strange situation."
I find this very telling.

While I'm generally not concerned, I'm aware of the potential to be adversely affected, just as with everyone else. For all I know, it could happen at any time and they just haven't gotten around to my account yet. I'm not unprepared and while I wouldn't appreciate having my miles confiscated, it wouldn't really move the needle all that much for me. To hedge, I refunded some mileage flights and replaced them with revenue ones until this thing blows over.
Sensible approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.