Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Despite all the pretend claims of victimization here, Reddit, etc., there remain zero examples of AA closing accounts “on a whim.”
Those who have had their accounts closed for buying/selling codes for $30-50, or submitting applications that had someone else's name on the mailer, just haven't made an appearance on FT. I recall one poster who said he applied for 3 cards in one year, two with apps mailed to him and a third from a public website, but that level of detail is just plain missing on both threads to try and evaluate "who" is impacted by the account locks or terminations. Certainly there's no requirement for anyone on FT to release the methods they used to apply for Citi AA credit cards, but the absence of that information surely makes it difficult to evaluate what criteria AA might have used. If everything is above-board and within the rules, you would think more would be posting how they applied, as the one poster I cited did, but without that level of detail it's hard to take a position one way or the other as the evidence is just not there, in public, as to "why" the accounts were closed.
sdsearch, wrp96, Visconti and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:29 am

It’s obviously not the only thing I can come up with, given my dozens of replies in these threads.

Despite all the pretend claims of victimization here, Reddit, etc., there remain zero examples of AA closing accounts “on a whim.”

AA had years to do something, give warnings, etc, and it did nothing. It then started closing accounts in mass in days without any communications. It certainly counts as "on a whim".
GUWonder, rover4618 and ricohitman like this.

Last edited by mia; Dec 23, 2019 at 9:10 am Reason: Remove personal commentary
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by xyzxyzxyz
So helpful that you linked us to threads that are now closed. Not to mention having removed comments that we were too stupid to realize are useless. Now that this thread is basically obsolete. In fact that FT is basically obsolete. What would we do without our mods. Am I right, or am I right?
I'd have to disagree with you that FT is obsolete. There's a whole bunch of activity on airline and hotel forums here, ranging from flight experiences to how to secure airline/hotel upgrades, and those forums are very busy, as they have been since when I started here. Have you had time to explore the forums here outside the credit card forums?
sdsearch and mhdena like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Thank you for the Real Data Point, Few individuals here think this is funny or they are trying to argue that the actions AA is justifiable, i believe the idea of this thread is for data points like yours to help others understand whats going on, i think the mods should keep the conversation related to data points about AA accounts being restricted, we have been reading hundreds of posts about what an individual thoughts about AA "justifiable" business actions, unrelated to the topic of accounts being restricted or not, i think we should be talking about experiences of people being stranded in airport and canceled tickets after check in, the way this thread is going is not encouraging people from sharing their experiences which doesn't help others in the same situation.
Couldn't we have a separate thread, for those affected by the shutdown, sympathetic to gamers and churners? Derogatory and name-calling and unsympathetic comments off topic and deleted.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by DVDBob
Are you locked?
I'm locked but the account where the miles came out of to book the flight is not.

My situation is probably different than most where the miles used to book the flight came from the locked account
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:55 pm

No, I understand it. The idea that AA is obligated to honor every AA mile gifted or awarded by Citi is laughable. Once those miles hit AA, it’s AA’s ballgame and AA’s rules.
Something here is laughable. So you believe that an airline can sign a contract with a credit card company and then not honor the miles that the credit card provider buys? Umm, I guess that explains a lot.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
I'd have to disagree with you that FT is obsolete. There's a whole bunch of activity on airline and hotel forums here, ranging from flight experiences to how to secure airline/hotel upgrades, and those forums are very busy, as they have been since when I started here. Have you had time to explore the forums here outside the credit card forums?
I'm glad it's working for you. The only thing I've learned from this thread lately is that my account is locked. Last post on Chase thread was a noobie question 3 days ago. I check the BofA, AS, Barclays, etc threads monthly, just to find out that in fact nothing useful has been posted in that time.

Can you briefly mention a couple of things I might have learned from the threads you mentioned in the last 30 days, bearing in mind that I have 20 years experience playing this game, and also at least scan OMMAT, VFTW and FM daily? My only status is AA Lifetime Gold , Hilton Gold, and IHG Platinum. FT is such a wasteland of threads (1,713,522 Threads, 31,294,710 Posts) that there may be a couple that would be worthwhile but I haven't found any yet. I mostly find noobie questions, and basic facts I've know for 5 or 10 years. And of course new devaluations and shut downs, but the travel blogs have those without slogging thru hundreds of useless posts on dozens of threads a day.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by walterj
Couldn't we have a separate thread, for those affected by the shutdown, sympathetic to gamers and churners? Derogatory and name-calling and unsympathetic comments off topic and deleted.
That would be an excellent idea - a practical discussion thread. Leave the arguing and theoretical debates to some other thread. It's no wonder so few people are bothering to post and discuss actual data points on here.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:41 pm

Can you briefly mention a couple of things I might have learned from the threads you mentioned in the last 30 days, bearing in mind that I have 20 years experience playing this game, and also at least scan OMMAT, VFTW and FM daily? My only status is AA Lifetime Gold , Hilton Gold, and IHG Platinum.
Well as a Hilton Diamond, AA lifetime Platinum (and UA lifetime Gold) and IHG Platinum, with 27 years of airline elite status, I'll be glad to answer that question, but I think that's taking us too far off the topic of this forum and would likely get deleted, so I'm going to pass. If you wanted to start a new thread in one of the general travel forums, perhaps Travel Buzz, I'd be glad to comment there.

FT is such a wasteland of threads (1,713,522 Threads, 31,294,710 Posts) that there may be a couple that would be worthwhile but I haven't found any yet.
You have 80 posts on FT since last month. There must be something here you find interesting to be posting that much.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:47 pm

ICan you briefly mention a couple of things I might have learned from the threads you mentioned in the last 30 days, bearing in mind that I have 20 years experience playing this game...
Not sure if you meant this as a rhetorical question, but what I find most valuable in FT are 1) the destination threads, and 2) there are members here whose expertise in their respective programs are, IMHO, other worldly. Perhaps, it's because I'm an amateur, but these guys know more than even the reps for the respective airlines/hotels; where, from a self-serving perspective, I save time by asking them instead of having to search, read blogs, or even call XXX rewards.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
You have 80 posts on FT since last month. There must be something here you find interesting to be posting that much.
Pretty sure everyone of them was on this thread about lockdowns and shutdowns. And of course it's almost certainly a total waste, other than as a chance to vent my anger and frustration, as AA would hardly go to all of this trouble, and anger and alienate so many people, only to decide: 'never mind, your accounts are all reinstated'.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People don't even know whether AA has reached out to those churners it doesn't want to fire because they are valuable customers and reached a "settlement" which includes an NDA.

The presumption that there is some statistical value to what you read here is not a smart move.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:46 pm

So as to provide something useful other than the incessant bickering, I've updated the wiki with information on how to find our whether you're locked.

PLEASE everyone on this thread, if you've got something useful to contribute (actual information) go ahead and post.

Maybe mods can make a thread about the morality of churning AAdvantage cards / AAdvantage account shutdown and the bickering can go there.

Thanks!
GUWonder, hurnik, 84fiero and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by wyogold
So as to provide something useful other than the incessant bickering, I've updated the wiki with information on how to find our whether you're locked.

PLEASE everyone on this thread, if you've got something useful to contribute (actual information) go ahead and post.

Maybe mods can make a thread about the morality of churning AAdvantage cards / AAdvantage account shutdown and the bickering can go there.

Thanks!
Why not call AA and ask the direct question rather than inferring?

It is not as though asking will cause one to be locked out. For those about to travel or who are traveling and concerned about whether their tickets remain active, this would seem to be critical.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:48 pm

When the account is suspended. Is it just a visible note on the account so whoever seeing the notes will not touch the account? Or is it like a real account status that only corp security have access to re-instate ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.