Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:38 pm

Asking. Sorry. I used a question mark, but the way I wrote that isn't clear.
NRamos0330 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I just tested the two accounts I expect may be locked, shut down -- whatever adverse status AA is putting many of us in -- by trying to book a cheap hotel, and I received the following message: "We are having problems communicating with our suppliers. Please call for assistance or try your search again." To confirm, that's the message that signifies one has been blindfolded and bound to the GrAAvy train tracks?
Yes you are on the bad list.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Asking. Sorry. I used a question mark, but the way I wrote that isn't clear.
Thanks! I hope this will resolve in a positive way soon. We have a trip booked for May 2020 and it will devastate everyone in our family if it is canceled.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Robl
Yes you are on the bad list.
It's been an honor.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by RPG
I got the "secret shutdown".

(a) When I call 800-882-8880 from the phone associated with my account, it goes to an agent right away.
(b) On a different phone, it asks for my AAdvantage number and then goes to an agent.

Alot of people are saying this is a sign you are locked or shut down- however- isn't this how their phone line normally works? They recognize your phone number and associate it with your FF account.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by stecel
Alot of people are saying this is a sign you are locked or shut down- however- isn't this how their phone line normally works? They recognize your phone number and associate it with your FF account.

Try now, if your account is locked, you can’t get to reservations. You will get to the customer service department that only opens M-F 8am-7pm
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:19 pm

I realize the chance of getting refunds for the Citi card fees incurred is close to 0%, but seems like the correct move to refund the annual fees if the sign-up bonuses are being taken away.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
I don't have a horse in this race, but I do feel for those who either are or might soon be tied to GrAAvy train tracks. We all push the envelope to various degrees, and there but for the grace of God, go I on this one. A good while ago I gave up trying to get the mailed offers everyone was talking about. Just couldn't get it to work, so I moved on. Sorry to all y'all caught up in the dragnet.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:37 pm

thanks teddy!

Last edited by stecel; Dec 13, 2019 at 6:40 pm Reason: no reply
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Willbur
I realize the chance of getting refunds for the Citi card fees incurred is close to 0%, but seems like the correct move to refund the annual fees if the sign-up bonuses are being taken away.
I can't begin to think of a reason why either AA or Citi would do so. Either the individual violated the t&c in which case a refund would be plain silly or he did not violate the t&c in which case the account ought to be unlocked.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:51 pm

TPG is saying that the T&C AA is using to shut down accounts is the part where it states "discrepancies or violations are resolved in a manner satisfactory to American Airlines" where the discrepancy seems to be having multiple sign up bonuses... What a joke.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
Try now, if your account is locked, you can’t get to reservations. You will get to the customer service department that only opens M-F 8am-7pm
I just called reservations and was following the prompts to book a redemption with miles. I made it through all the way selecting my dates and cities and never get stopped. I decided to hang up because I figured it was far enough to determine whether or not I am locked.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
TPG is saying that the T&C AA is using to shut down accounts is the part where it states "discrepancies or violations are resolved in a manner satisfactory to American Airlines" where the discrepancy seems to be having multiple sign up bonuses... What a joke.
Wow, if that is the case, then 1) dragnet is wide 2) their argument is on shaky ground.
sethMCOflyer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by stecel
If you’re in the clear it says “I’ve matched your mobile number, please tell me what you’re calling about?”
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
Have you paid an AF?

Most Citi's offers have first year fee waived fwiw. People keep their cards past first year mostly for the card benefits, such as priority boarding and free 1st checked bag for domestic flights. In fact, the card gives you almost ALL benefits that an AA Gold elite would have, except very few remaining as elite benefits such as same day non-confirmed stand by, or free MCE seat if still available when OLCI opens. Otherwise, the AAdvantage card gives you everything else just as if you are a Gold elite - and you most likely enjoy such benefits the first year for free, until the second year when the AF is no longer waived.

To sum it up, the AF of the card is for the benefits, not for a sign up bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.