Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by btw
Long time poster, posting under a new account.

I and my P2 have been locked out of our AA accounts since sometime within the past week. I'm not sure of the exact date. No other steps have been taken. No contact from AA or anything like that.

We have not sold miles, purchased mailer codes, or played any tricks with reservations like holds or bad credit cards. We have applied with mailers/emailers that we got from friends & family. That's pretty much it. A few family members created AA accounts who probably wouldn't have otherwise. But my goldfish didn't have an account or anything like that.

Our current mileage balance is around 1M each. I do know that as of right now those miles are still there.

I am surprised that this is coming from the AA side. Like others, I expected Citi to eventually just stop giving me more cards. I thought this would be a profit-maker for AA, and something they would be all for.

Some of this information is purposefully vague. You can ask questions but I'm not sure how much more I'll say. One reason we've seen so much more detail on reddit than on FT is that most of us here on FT are smart enough to not give every identifying detail possible.
Did you get the email from AA corporate security yet? What did they state as their concern?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by btw
We have applied with mailers/emailers that we got from friends & family. That's pretty much it. A few family members created AA accounts who probably wouldn't have otherwise. But my goldfish didn't have an account or anything like that.
How many accounts did you use that didn’t belong to you or P2? What was your frequency of application? Did you receive bonuses for all apps? What was the most recent app?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Happy
It does not matter for the emailer how it is generated as long as it is used by the non-intended recipient of the targeted offer.
Regardless how Citi system let it go thru, it still violates various rules, not to mention the obvious fact that the emailers are sent from AA.
What is puzzling about all of this to me is why they don't prevent it. If they can detect the rule violation and shut people down they could just as easily detect it and prevent people from applying.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btw

Which may or may not be true just like the content.
Given the madness and fearmongering in recent threads i just have to take most posts with a grain of salt...
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by drminn
What is puzzling about all of this to me is why they don't prevent it. If they can detect the rule violation and shut people down they could just as easily detect it and prevent people from applying.
Speaking as a past software developer for a very large insurance company, it is possible to code a website to validate whether or not the offer number and name match. AA would need to supply the data for Citi to validate. As with everything, there is a tradeoff - spend time and $$ on other, more important features, or spend that time and $$ to prevent a small percentage of abusers. It's obvious they decided not to implement any sort of validation. That doesn't mean AA didn't get a manual dump of data and had a human (or machine) do an audit on this data. In fact, this is more than likely what happened, assuming these reports are true. I do find it a little strange that we haven't heard more about it, but maybe its the calm before the storm.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by btw

I and my P2 have been locked out of our AA accounts since sometime within the past week
Our current mileage balance is around 1M each. I do know that as of right now those miles are still there.
If you're locked out, how do you know the miles are still there?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by bobert24
If you're locked out, how do you know the miles are still there?
Citi.com and AwardWallet will still show them.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
Citi.com and AwardWallet will still show them.
Good call on Citi. Are you sure about AwardWallet? I thought it just used your login info.

Are you locked out too?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
Good call on Citi. Are you sure about AwardWallet? I thought it just used your login info.
AwardWallet apparently has special access to your account given that it can send 5 miles per approved comment to your AA account. Points.com may also be able to view your account balance since you can redeem for gift cards through them, but haven't tried it.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by btw

I and my P2 have been locked out of our AA accounts since sometime within the past week. I'm not sure of the exact date. No other steps have been taken. No contact from AA or anything like that.

We have not sold miles, purchased mailer codes, or played any tricks with reservations like holds or bad credit cards. We have applied with mailers/emailers that we got from friends & family. That's pretty much it. A few family members created AA accounts who probably wouldn't have otherwise. But my goldfish didn't have an account or anything like that..
Thanks for your contribution - seeing this on FT makes it a lot more real to me (unfortunately)

I'm sure many of us on this forum have a lot to lose if AA decides it can just close our accounts, and if it turns out that AA will be doing this to too many account holders, some sort of class action will probably be in the cards as there's probably a law firm out there willing to take on a case where many accounts holding a million miles or so each are just wiped out. Keep us updated with whatever details you're willing to share.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Which may or may not be true just like the content.
Given the madness and fearmongering in recent threads i just have to take most posts with a grain of salt...
Originally Posted by btw
May I ask your reasons for creating a new identity just for this post? If you want to help the community, then knowing your usual s/n would be important in judging this DP authenticity. There's a shutdown thread on FT -- I have not seen anyone posting under new identities there.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:51 pm

If they take 1MM miles from you, take $10,000 from them (1 cent per mile). 1 cent per mile is what they were valued at the last time I paid taxes on a taxable AA bonus (Citi checking account).
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by wiivile
If they take 1MM miles from you, take $10,000 from them (1 cent per mile). 1 cent per mile is what they were valued at the last time I paid taxes on a taxable AA bonus (Citi checking account).
I'd take that offer except that I value these miles at >>1 CPM. The wife unit will *not* be happy moving to the back of the plane for intercon flights (nor I for that matter)
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by btw

We have not sold miles, purchased mailer codes, or played any tricks with reservations like holds or bad credit cards. We have applied with mailers/emailers that we got from friends & family. That's pretty much it. A few family members created AA accounts who probably wouldn't have otherwise. But my goldfish didn't have an account or anything like that.

I am surprised that this is coming from the AA side. Like others, I expected Citi to eventually just stop giving me more cards. I thought this would be a profit-maker for AA, and something they would be all for.

Some of this information is purposefully vague. You can ask questions but I'm not sure how much more I'll say. One reason we've seen so much more detail on reddit than on FT is that most of us here on FT are smart enough to not give every identifying detail possible.

thanks for sharing. If you don’t mind answering...

1) how often did you churn?
2) did you use emailers?
3) did you repurpose codes that belonged to a different physical address with physical mailers and emailers?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:23 am

What I'm saying is that if I paid taxes on at least some of the miles at the valuation of 1 cent per mile, I consider at least some of the miles to be my property (and hold invalid any clause of the AAdvantage terms claiming otherwise) and would confiscate up to $10,000 from AA if they confiscated 1MM miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.