Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by LWT3
If there are mass shutdowns, one would think those of us who post here would be on the front line, so some member of this group will be able to alert the rest of us. If no such reports come out of this group relatively soon, then we might be safe. It's definitely hard not knowing though.
I'm hoping this is just a little mass hysteria as noted by another member only one sketchy report of a shutdown that the poster then claims was reversed.

I held my breath and logged into my AA account and all good so far.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by gumercindo
From what I understand, placing a ticket at a later date on hold and then changing the reservation to avoid close in fee. That's one way to abuse it.
No, it's simply placing a new hold every 5 days as long as the space remains available to avoid actually booking. That's hardly a trick and I don't think it's abuse either.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Has anyone who's been shut down only used physical mailers?

Everyone I've seen so far used emailed links which contained very specific terms about who could use the link. There doesn't look to be anything wrong with using the physical mailers other than potentially how you acquired them.

I have been searching FT, Reddit and other sources and cannot find any data point for physical mailer only. This has become an such emotional issue, that facts like data points are getting lost in the conversation.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:10 pm

I agree, it’s really hard to get any good information on the subject. With other shutdowns I’ve seen Google Forms and then people were trying to find the common denominators.

Selfishly I’m hoping they’re just busting people who used the emailer codes.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:32 pm

I agree, it’s really hard to get any good information on the subject. With other shutdowns I’ve seen Google Forms and then people were trying to find the common denominators.

Nice! Most of us used emailer codes!! This is the topic of this thread!
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Nice! Most of us used emailer codes!! This is the topic of this thread!
Also mailers!
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:52 pm

You have a link to these google forums ?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:30 pm

Doesn't that seem highly unlikely? They'll go after everyone who churned cards heavily, regardless of the source of the churn.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator review

A few posts have been removed. Please continue to discuss Citi and AAdvantage products, policies and practices. Do not write about one another. Be mindful of this Flyertalk rule: Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Taunting is not acceptable.

If you think a post does not comply, click the Red alert icon in the lower left corner of the post, explain, and DO NOT REPLY to the post. Provocative posts are designed to elicit a reaction.

Last edited by mia; Dec 7, 2019 at 5:50 am
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:09 am

What is the consensus for the number of shutdowns? On Reddit, they think it is under 20. Other than one poster on FT who posted then deleted their post, any more other FT'ers shutdown by AA?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
What is the consensus for the number of shutdowns? On Reddit, they think it is under 20. Other than one poster on FT who posted then deleted their post, any more other FT'ers shutdown by AA?
The amount of people who simply used emailed links to sign up and have been suspended pending an investigation seems to me to be in the single digits.

There’s also a number of other suspensions who used emailers/mailers but with other variables that would constitute a shutdown on their own such as the flight hold trick, reservations on an old credit card, 50+ accounts at a single address, and multiple AA accounts receiving bonuses.

We really need to remove the noise and ignore all those shutdowns and focus on people who were shutdown who didn’t do anything AA wouldn’t like other than using mailer codes, and then break that down into physical codes only, and emailer codes.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:51 am

Which means that people need to update this thread if they’re affected. I’m not asking for details, but it’s be good to know. This has caused me to just stop cold turkey and hope that my award travel next year isn’t cancelled. It may be a low count so far, but the reports I saw make me assume that nearly everyone in this thread could be targeted.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
In our household, only I used emailer (only one) and my SO never did. We used mailers, mostly biz, mailed to our address only and none of the other shenanigans. Also, I have a significantly smaller balance (<500) than my SO (>500). So, if I get shut down and SO does not, then the use of emailer may be the culprit to this whole fiasco.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:37 am

The use of emailers is definitely one thing every single lockdown has in common with each other.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by shimps1
I have been on the grAAvy train for close to two years now. I applied for a Personal AA Plat card on 3/2/19, and another one on 4/4/19. I had a Business AA Plat card that was clsoed on 4/10/17. Given my recent personal apps, would it be ok to apply for the Biz card, or is Citi limiting people to 2/65 total (pers+biz) cards?
You forgot/missed one

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.