Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Secure messaging is no longer available via:
Services
  • Credit Card Services /
    • Request a Credit Limit Increase /
      • Request Your Card Agreement (at left)
However, it may be available via (but as of late May 2019 this method, too, seems to be not working):
Print Wikipost

Citi Secure Message - now read only?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
I chatted with citi to close a card and they refused and said I had to call. HOWEVER, they replied with the following:
Quote:I am sorry to inform that, Currently we are upgrading our website and the secure message center is discontinued to make room for the new option to send messages. Soon the new version of the site will be launched.
I chatted with Citi a few minutes ago and they had no knowledge of any new option, so I'm hoping that whoever you and the person in the other thread spoke with has the correct information. I think I speak for everyone when I say that I have no interest in actually calling Citi about anything.

I had never even thought of asking for bonus miles via chat, but apparently it's a thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...ecure_message/. I'll be applying for another card in a week, so it looks like I'll get to test this out soon enough.
muji likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:17 pm

As a shortcut, you can just go to: https://accountonline.citi.com/cards....do?JFP_TOKEN=

Followed by your 8-digit token that appears as the end of the URL when you are logged in.
MaxVO and NTP9766 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:52 pm

Citi SM still works for closing an account as of a few days ago, no reply but account was closed within 2 days.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Confirm the workaround SM works on closing account - did not get a response but account closed the next day. However it does not work on lowering CL.

Remains to be seen if it works consistently on requesting to match - seems to have mixed results. I did get a usual response on "your request has been forwarded" email on the request, just like the old time.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mia
Discussion is here:

Citi Secure Message - now read only?

Posts 6 and 32 explain how to use the SM system.
Post 32 is awesome.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by LWT3
Post 32 is awesome.
How so? All I get when I use that link is a 'sign in' to my account, as usual. Nothing there that seems to have anything to do with SMs. ???
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
How so? All I get when I use that link is a 'sign in' to my account, as usual. Nothing there that seems to have anything to do with SMs. ???
You have to follow the instructions, including implied instructions. The implied instruction is that you have to be logged in in order to know the token. The explicit instruction in the post was that you have to add the token to the link.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
You have to follow the instructions, including implied instructions. The implied instruction is that you have to be logged in in order to know the token. The explicit instruction in the post was that you have to add the token to the link.
I don't usually feel this clueless.

Do I have this right? I take the link listed, (https://accountonline.citi.com/cards....do?JFP_TOKEN=) and add my token (xyz123) right after the =.

Which gives me this:

https://accountonline.citi.com/cards....do?JFP_TOKEN=xyz123

Put that in as the url, and hit enter.

Because when I do that, I get this:

"AccountOnline Temporarily Unavailable"
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:46 am

deleted

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jan 12, 2019 at 7:46 pm
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:19 pm

Dunno then. The regular way to reach the SM page (via the 'request credit line increase' link) was removed some time after Tuesday, which was when I last used it. So maybe the direct link has also been disabled.

PS Tested it, and you are right, the direct link no longer works. It's chat or phone call now. Not necessarily a bad thing, since SMs were not being acted upon for many days---they've reassigned the staff.
For Citi it’s becoming death by a thousand cuts. Lower offers, single use mailers, no SM matching - could the greatest churn be coming to the end?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Robl
IMPORTANT; Workaround for SM from reader at DOC. You just go through the Services tab to credit card services tab, select credit increase and then choose email customer service on the left hand side. . Voila you can again send SM on anything you want!
I used this trick yesterday and when I went back in to see if there was reply the email option was gone.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I don't usually feel this clueless.

Do I have this right? I take the link listed, (https://accountonline.citi.com/cards....do?JFP_TOKEN=) and add my token (xyz123) right after the =.

Which gives me this:

https://accountonline.citi.com/cards....do?JFP_TOKEN=
xyz123

Put that in as the url, and hit enter.

Because when I do that, I get this:

"AccountOnline Temporarily Unavailable"
Dunno then. The regular way to reach the SM page (via the 'request credit line increase' link) was removed some time after Tuesday, which was when I last used it. So maybe the direct link has also been disabled.

PS Tested it, and you are right, the direct link no longer works. It's chat or phone call now. Not necessarily a bad thing, since SMs were not being acted upon for many days---they've reassigned the staff.
This is your Short Cut.
https://accountonline.citi.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do?JFP_TOKEN

It does NOT link you to the workaround SM even when I tried it the first time I saw Ike's post. Instead, you can find the request credit line increase from the drop down menu of "Take Me To". This saves you to go thru Customer Service tab at the top when you log in from the regular home page.

Account Online not Available is nothing to do with the Short Cut, but just Citi's random site crashes which seem to happen anytime of the day and on any day or night. I have gotten accustomed to this error. It happens with FF far more often than with Chrome fwiw. Though on my computer, both browsers would pause with a BLANK page for several seconds before bring up the account home page. after successfully logged in. Then the stupid Account Home page would make another quick refresh before it stabilizes.

It is just Citi being Citi.

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I used this trick yesterday and when I went back in to see if there was reply the email option was gone.
Folks,

The Link on the Side Bar of Email to Customer Service is indeed REMOVED. Or wording changed to Request Card Agreement, (or Account Agreement, I cannot remember the exact wordings).
Just click that - it will still bring you to the SM screen, at least for the time being. For how long it remains working - anybody's guess.

The option of the Request Card Agreement in the Customer Service Menu, does NOT bring you to SM screen. Instead, it brings you to an online Form for you to submit the request.

Therefore I suspect the redirect in the Request Increase of CL may soon get fixed and would point to the online form rather than the old SM.

You can still access Read Only SM from the old fashion way at the Contact Us button down on the bottom of home page. Though it would not get to the send screen, only the read only. I also suspect nothing fresh would show up there.
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 13, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I tried every which way above but can't get to an SM screen as of now. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it's just removed everywhere.

*Edit finally figured it out, though I doubt it will last much longer. Will try this first, then chat if I hear nothing. Thanks.

Last edited by yoshapman; Dec 13, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoshapman
I tried every which way above but can't get to an SM screen as of now. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it's just removed everywhere.
It worked this morning, followed the steps I outlined above. There is NO MORE email customer service button but the other button shown in its old place still worked, as recent as a few hours ago.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Robl

For Citi it’s becoming death by a thousand cuts. Lower offers, single use mailers, no SM matching - could the greatest churn be coming to the end?
When Corbat became CEO, his plan was to cut expenses... Majorly. What better way to cut expenses than to cut churning, bonuses, mailings, and people who utlize a 4th night free benefits to cash in on $9,000 a year?

The guy won’t even instruct his staff to design a decent website... Thas how cheap they want to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.