Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by allanfan
I used either link 3 or link 4 in the wiki at the time. At the time, the landing page for 2K spending has expired, although application link still works.

What do you mean by "wrong" link? I believe all the links in wiki are "correct".
Some of the links have landing pages that say you are not eligible if you have had a Platinum Select AA card opened or closed in the past 18 months. Not just MC, but any type of Plat. Others specify MC only. Often the application page just says "MC", so if you didn't see the landing page there is no way to know you may be excluded.

The thing I'm wondering about, Citi recently replaced my long term AA Visa with a MC, and they just emailed me they are going to do the same thing with another long term AA Visa I have open.

Does that mean I've "opened" a MC lately, or does "opened" only apply to new apps? Sometimes Citi is really sneaky about their wording, having some "spend $X in a year" being a calendar year, some being a year after you got your card, and sometimes not counting $ spent in a year if they post after the posting date of the Dec bill.

I wonder if they are going to use this to prevent those of us who haven't done anything in 18 months from getting a bonus?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:36 am

I just converted a citi dividend card to a citi aa plat advantage card...still waiting for card to arrive. It should be the same account number afaik. I was told I would not be eligible for any type of bonus or incentive. Is there any way without going through a new app to get the miles/fee waived? I understand that I probably can't get the sign up bonus but do I have a shot at a retention deal since I am a longtime citi card holder with decent spend?

Should I just not activate the card when it comes and close the account? I really don't want to cancel and reapply for a new card due to concerns I won't be approved/get the limit I currently have. Any thoughts? I have never had any AA miles cards before. Thanks!

Also I just closed a $5500k line on an old bank america amex I had, any idea how long it takes for the to show up on a report become usable credit?

edit: after doing a thorough amount of reading around here, it would seem like maybe I should not activate the card and transition it, let it fall back to the dividend card. Lower the credit line maybe in half ie 17k to say 10k...and then at least attempt to apply for the plat aa card right?

Last edited by PT612; Apr 13, 2015 at 1:42 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Arrow Triple-Checking Before Applying

Citi phone rep confirmed that I closed:
  • an AAdvantage Platinum Select VISA on 30 SEPT 2014
  • an AAdvantage AMEX in OCT 2012
  • an AAdvantage VISA SEPT 2012

After I hung up I realized that the card closed 30 SEPT 2014 was actually part of the switchover of it to a Double Cash Mastercard. My Double Cash card shows activity starting in SEPT 2014 and I remember there being some sort of multiple week transition period mentioned.

I checked my citicards.com account and the most recent AAdvantage card shows up there as closed and as a VISA, as expected.

I'm about to apply via link 9 for the AAdvantage Mastercard and based on the wording of the T&Cs for those links I fully expect to get the 50k bonus miles.

Just double-checking here....is there any reason not to proceed? Is Citi likely to pull some stunt wherein they deny the bonus miles because the AAdvantage card I last closed was changed over to a Mastercard Double Cash card?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Brugge
Some of the links have landing pages that say you are not eligible if you have had a Platinum Select AA card opened or closed in the past 18 months. Not just MC, but any type of Plat. Others specify MC only. Often the application page just says "MC", so if you didn't see the landing page there is no way to know you may be excluded.

The thing I'm wondering about, Citi recently replaced my long term AA Visa with a MC, and they just emailed me they are going to do the same thing with another long term AA Visa I have open.

Does that mean I've "opened" a MC lately, or does "opened" only apply to new apps? Sometimes Citi is really sneaky about their wording, having some "spend $X in a year" being a calendar year, some being a year after you got your card, and sometimes not counting $ spent in a year if they post after the posting date of the Dec bill.

I wonder if they are going to use this to prevent those of us who haven't done anything in 18 months from getting a bonus?
Here is my complete timeline:

before 7/30/2013, I had opened/closed multiple AA visa/MC/AMEX, etc.
on 7/30/2013, applied/approved Platinum Visa Card #1
on 4/8/2014, applied/approved Business AA (don't remember Visa or MC)
on 7/24/2014, closed Business AA
on 2/15/2015, applied Platinum MC Card #2, decision pending
on 2/16/2015, approved on Card #2
on 2/17/2015, closed Card #1

A couple remarks:
1. I assume my business AA activity on 2014 has no impact on the personal cards

2. I used the expired 2K spending link, I think it has the new terms, but I'm not sure

3. Whether I used the link for the new or old terms shouldn't matter, because as of the date my card is approved, i.e. 2/16/2015, I did not open or close a personal card in past 18 months.

4. During the SM with Citi, the CSR specifically cite my closure on 2/17/2015 as the reason I can't get 50K, which makes no sense to me because the signup bonus term should be decided as of 2/16/2015.

5. I didn't read the paper mail welcome letter, so idk if there is bonus language on it. I didn't know the significance of that mail at the time.

6. I have a hypothesis which would explain this that I'd like to try, it'll take about a month to prove or disprove. I'll report back if my hypothesis is correct.

Last edited by allanfan; Apr 13, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by meecal
Citi phone rep confirmed that I closed:
  • an AAdvantage Platinum Select VISA on 30 SEPT 2014
  • an AAdvantage AMEX in OCT 2012
  • an AAdvantage VISA SEPT 2012

After I hung up I realized that the card closed 30 SEPT 2014 was actually part of the switchover of it to a Double Cash Mastercard. My Double Cash card shows activity starting in SEPT 2014 and I remember there being some sort of multiple week transition period mentioned.

I checked my citicards.com account and the most recent AAdvantage card shows up there as closed and as a VISA, as expected.

I'm about to apply via link 9 for the AAdvantage Mastercard and based on the wording of the T&Cs for those links I fully expect to get the 50k bonus miles.

Just double-checking here....is there any reason not to proceed? Is Citi likely to pull some stunt wherein they deny the bonus miles because the AAdvantage card I last closed was changed over to a Mastercard Double Cash card?
No, as I posted above, they can be sneaky with their language. But they aren't that bad. It would be a problem if you had closed a Plat Select MC. But AFAIK, there should be no problem with having closed a Visa and opened a DC MC. (My lawyer insists I add: YMMV)...
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by PT612
I just converted a citi dividend card to a citi aa plat advantage card...still waiting for card to arrive. It should be the same account number afaik. I was told I would not be eligible for any type of bonus or incentive. Is there any way without going through a new app to get the miles/fee waived? I understand that I probably can't get the sign up bonus but do I have a shot at a retention deal since I am a longtime citi card holder with decent spend?

Should I just not activate the card when it comes and close the account? I really don't want to cancel and reapply for a new card due to concerns I won't be approved/get the limit I currently have. Any thoughts? I have never had any AA miles cards before. Thanks!

Also I just closed a $5500k line on an old bank america amex I had, any idea how long it takes for the to show up on a report become usable credit?

edit: after doing a thorough amount of reading around here, it would seem like maybe I should not activate the card and transition it, let it fall back to the dividend card. Lower the credit line maybe in half ie 17k to say 10k...and then at least attempt to apply for the plat aa card right?
well after about an hour on the phone with them, I was able to completely cancel the conversion and revert the card back, they confirmed it would be totally removed from their system as if I never had an aa card at any point. I also scaled back my credit limit on the card to free up some space. Will submit a new application for the AA plat card in a couple weeks after all the kinks have been worked out.

Any suggestions on how to maximize my chances of getting approved, or which link to use for the app? Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:51 pm

I got my citi AA business card in the mail today. No paperwork about bonus miles. Called rep for activation and asked about welcome bonus.
Rep confirmed 50000 miles bonus offer with spending^.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA UA
Originally Posted by PT612
well after about an hour on the phone with them, I was able to completely cancel the conversion and revert the card back, they confirmed it would be totally removed from their system as if I never had an aa card at any point. I also scaled back my credit limit on the card to free up some space. Will submit a new application for the AA plat card in a couple weeks after all the kinks have been worked out.

Any suggestions on how to maximize my chances of getting approved, or which link to use for the app? Thanks!
Glad everything worked out for your un-conversion. I would have kept the dividend too (also have one) if/when applying for a new AA card.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:58 am

Any Solid Data Points On Waiting Period After a Denial?

Stupidly totally forgot about an app I did almost 65 days before, and got a denial for applying too soon.

Now my 65 days are up from my approved app, and the only app in that time frame is the denied app. I've seen some suggestions that you need to wait 65 days after a denial, regardless of where you are in the 65 day cycle. Others have said you only need to wait until the approved app drops off. I really hate to wait another 2 months to reapply, especially if I don't have to do so.

Does anyone have any solid data points on this?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:02 am

Got the letter from Citi about them converting my Visa to a MC. Also mentioned that I'd get a new card number too, so I'm going to guess that this will reset the 18 month clock. This screws me since I only have a Visa AAdvantage card opened 7/13 so I'd otherwise be eligible for another 50k MC offer. Online my card is still a Visa, I wonder if I could sneak in an app for the MC. My history:

10/2011 AAdvantage Visa (closed 10/2013)
10/2011 AAdvantage Amex (closed 10/2012)
7/2013 AAdvantage Visa (currently Open)
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Stupidly totally forgot about an app I did almost 65 days before, and got a denial for applying too soon.

Now my 65 days are up from my approved app, and the only app in that time frame is the denied app. I've seen some suggestions that you need to wait 65 days after a denial, regardless of where you are in the 65 day cycle. Others have said you only need to wait until the approved app drops off. I really hate to wait another 2 months to reapply, especially if I don't have to do so.

Does anyone have any solid data points on this?
Can you call and have them re-run the app?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:17 am

I applied for a personal 50k MC 9 days ago and got instant approved. I just applied for a Business 50K MC but got the "application received" page and ask me to wait a week for their decision. I put my name as the business name and SSN as the business Tax ID. Will I have any problem with the application? I have 816 credit score.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: United, SPG
Applied yesterday for Citi Business 50k (already have 2 others) and Citi AA Gold 25k (have 4 AA Platinum Select from before merger). Was approved for both after calling in. Done this before without issue too. Easy 75k for $3,750 in min spend!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
So, in the process of "moving over" from US to AA (as a flyer), I saw the 50K Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select MC offer, with no first-year AF, and decided that 50K of free AA (exUS) miles is 50K of free AA (exUS) miles, and signed myself up. Approved. Card arrives. I do $3K spend, plenty quick.

Then I start looking at the card more and more. In spite of the fancy name, it offers me almost nothing. Check that: Nothing. No almost. I basically have all the travel benefits from AA status and can get as many points on legacy Barclays Aviator cards for
buying AA tickets, and/or better cancellation and delay insurance elsewhere. So, with the spend met, I put the card in the proverbial sock drawer. And now, after reading a post by Brugge in the Chase thread, I am reminded that the sooner I cancel, the sooner I can hit them up for another $50K.

I have not been churning cards (yet -- not that I have anything against it), but is there some reason to hold onto this card (after bonus posts) that I am not thinking of?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: United, SPG
Originally Posted by macboss
I applied for a personal 50k MC 9 days ago and got instant approved. I just applied for a Business 50K MC but got the "application received" page and ask me to wait a week for their decision. I put my name as the business name and SSN as the business Tax ID. Will I have any problem with the application? I have 816 credit score.
Recommend calling in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.