Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by micned
Your converted US Airways card is from Barclays and won't affect anything you do at Citi. Look at it closer, it's not a Citi card. You can apply for any of the Citi cards since it's been more than 18 months open/closed for those.
You are right - I'm getting confused because I logged into my CITI account and saw it said I have to activate a new Platinum Select card. They must of converted my old VISA to a platinum select chip card? I haven't applied for a citi card for some time. CITI didn't convert my VISA to a MC did they (like CHASE with IHG)? Can't see from the picture when logging into the account what it is. I need to just go through my mail

Last edited by beltline; Jul 14, 2015 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
How could you possibly covert a US Airways MC (issued by Barclays) to a Citi product? I'm assuming you are mistaken about that, and are confused by the conversion to Barlcays AAdvantage Aviator.

You should be good to go on the Citi AA Platinum MasterCard, since your previous Citi AA MC was cancelled more than 18 months ago. Since the MC is considered a different product from the Visa, it doesn't affect your eligibility for the sign up bonus on the MC either way.
Yes I was confused as I was logging into my CITI account and saw I needed to activate a new card. However after looking at my AF renewal dates it looks like I applied on 7/29/13 so they probably sent me a new card with chip as I haven't applied for a new card with CITI for quite some time.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by beltline
You are right - I'm getting confused because I logged into my CITI account and saw it said I have to activate a new Platinum Select card. They must of converted my old VISA to a platinum select chip card? I haven't applied for a citi card for some time. CITI didn't convert my VISA to a MC did they (like CHASE with IHG)? Can't see from the picture when logging into the account what it is. I need to just go through my mail
Citi is converting all of the old AA Plat cards to MC. There have been mixed reports of whether this counts as opening a new MC, thereby resetting the 18 mo clock. To be safe, apply for a new AA Plat MC before you cancel your current cards or activate the one that is being converted.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Data point - applied for Citi Business, received the "we are processing your request" notice. Checked back every day - after about 3 days gave me a message that it was declined (still waiting for the official letter to figure out why). Applied for Citi personal Platinum card on the same day of the decline and was instantly approved for $13k.
Are you 100% sure on that timeframe? You shouldn't be able to be approved for a card less than 7 or 8 days after applying for another one, regardless of whether the first one was approved. I'm kind of curious about this. Do you have dates for each of the applications?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Can you point to those? Most of the ones I remember reading which seemed to imply that at first had other facts (or missing facts) which may have made that conclusion invalid.

For example, if someone who had a Platinum card had it automatically "upgraded" by Citi from World to World Elite by Feb 2015, and they converted after that, it may because of that temporary World Elite loophole, not because of the conversion not being treated as a close.

Anyway, I'm not sure, and you're welcome to be a guinea pig. But please have all the facts really straight before you do, because otherwise it's not going to be the best of datapoints.

And, of course, keep in mind that any attempt to get a bonus again resets your 18 month clock, whether you succeed at getting the bonus or not (since Citi no longer denies you for the card if they're not going to give you the bonus, so the card is "opened" even if you get no bonus! ).

So in one sense it's more "dangerous" to "try" for bonuses at Citi now than at Chase (since Chase counts since you last got the bonus, not since you last opened or closed the card). Though, of course, for churners, the Chase world is now limited to partner cards only.
I'll have to see if I can find those posts. They were a while ago, so I'm not sure where exactly they were.

I'd be a guinea pig, but all the accounts I have that would be eligible for conversion are platinum visas, so they don't (currently) affect my eligibility for a MC. That, plus I opened a plat MC very recently, so I'm ~18 months from guinea pig status. Anybody else want to give it a shot?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by meecal
The 3 month clock starts ticking upon approval of the account
Amazing how much you can learn on the interwebs if you don't care whether it is true or not.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:31 am

Ok, i'm a little confused on the WORLD and WORLD ELITE rules. I had a WORLD card that was opened december 2013. i believe it was converted to WORLD ELITE and then closed dec 2014. Am i still eligible? I just looked at the old card, and it only says WORLD on the back, so maybe it wasn't converted?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Amazing how much you can learn on the interwebs if you don't care whether it is true or not.
are you saying that is not true? It's from the date of activation?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by bobert24
Are you 100% sure on that timeframe? You shouldn't be able to be approved for a card less than 7 or 8 days after applying for another one, regardless of whether the first one was approved. I'm kind of curious about this. Do you have dates for each of the applications?
Yep. 07/08/2015 for the (declined) platinum business card. 07/11/2015 for the (approved) platinum personal card.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by micned
You can't apply for two cards in the same day.
I didn't apply for two cards on the same day. What are you talking about?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by bobloadmire
are you saying that is not true? It's from the date of activation?
No, it's from the application date, not the approval date (if different) or activation date.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltline
US AIRWAYS MC: Opened 1/20/15 and converted to
Did you get a Barclay Red AA Aviator Card? That's what a US Airways MC converts to (but the timing varies from person to person).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 14, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I didn't apply for two cards on the same day. What are you talking about?
The rule has been Citi would decline a second application less than 7 days from the previous application - hence the 8/65 days rule that seems most are very aware of.

In your situation, your second card is only 3 days from the failed business card application - that goes against the established rule. We do not know whether it is because the business and personal cards are treated differently. However we do know that both the business and personal are subject to the same 65 days rule, i.e. Citi only allows 2 applications of ANY KIND within a 60 days period. Due to Citi system often messes up the counting of days, the advice is to pad the count by a few days, like 63 to 65 as we have seen reports on failures with only 62 days, and that causes the clock to reset... For just a couple extra days wait, impatient applicants not only waste a HP but also reset their clock for a fresh 60/65 days count.

Your 3 days interval is the FIRST being reported IIRC. I am sure others would be interested to know if it is a fluke or a policy change. Hence the poster asked about Accurate Dates of the record.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobloadmire
Excellent news! Thanks for the heads up!

Also do you know if I get the card, but don't activate it, does my 3mo start from the date I apply or the date of activation? I want this card, but I don't want to wait too long and then the offer to disappear.
When or if you activate the card is irrelevant.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kannon99
Applied for Citi Business this afternoon, it went to pending so I called in. After about 10 minutes on hold I was approved.

Last Citi Business was on 6/11, closed 11/14 (I closed account and also requested master account be closed via secure message).
Mutiple other Citi accounts open, last citi apps were 3/15, 1/15, 12/14
Does the Business card has the 18 months clause?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.