Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
That can’t possibly be worth the hassle of dealing with all those separate PNRs during IRROPS.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by joe_miami
That can’t possibly be worth the hassle of dealing with all those separate PNRs during IRROPS.
That's a good point, although we've had situations where they've had to break our group up to get where we needed to go, so separate PNRs ended up happening anyways.

Of course one problem with multiple PNRs is that for the downside case where one gets multiple bites at the travel delay claims process, it can blow up 'free baggage' coming from credit cards, which in most cases is going to be limited to the card holder and travelers on their PNR. So if we had a lot of stuff, that would get messy/costly.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:42 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
The Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefit brochure does not specifically excluded delays of over 6 hours due to missed connection, but the benefit description in general is vaguer than the Citi description. www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve2
I'm also curious about this. I've used the Citi Prestige insurance a couple of times in the past, but back when missed connections were covered even if the delay that missed the connection was fewer than 3 hours.

Now I'm trying to find an alternative that would cover me in case I miss a connection due to a delay that is shorter than 6 hours. Any advice? Would the Sapphire Reserve work in this case (e.g. delay of 4 hours causes a missed connection)?
Old May 5, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
My reading of the Penfed Pathfinder T&C is that they do cover misconnects but the benefit is low ($200) and capped to 3x a year. So it could work for a leisure traveler, but not a road warrior. Additionally, $200 is unlikely to really cover a room at a hub booked at the last minute due to a storm or something.

I've prowled around reddit but cannot find stories of people who have actually submitted a trip delay claim under PenFed either.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:17 pm

Chase Sapphire reserve text

The following information is a summary only. Please see your Guide to Benefits for complete details.

Benefit Overview

• Provides reimbursement for expenses such as meals and lodging if your common carrier (airline, bus, cruise ship, train) travel is delayed more than 6 hours or requires an overnight stay
  • Coverage is in excess of any expenses paid by any other party, including applicable insurance
  • Trip must be away from the cardholder’s city of residence and be less than 365 days in length
  • Provides coverage when the common carrier fare has been purchased with an eligible Chase card or with rewards earned on an eligible Chase card
i understand same as Citi Prestige so missed connection NOT covered unless first triop leg was delayed by 6 hours
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:36 pm

Any data points for recent claims submissions? I submitted a claim (Prestige) on June 3rd, received the "you will hear back within 14 days" email immediately, but today is the 26th and I haven't heard anything back yet.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:22 am

Virginia Surety (the company that handles Citi Trip Delay claims) seems backed up. I got a request for more information yesterday on a Price Rewind claim that I submitted on June 1.

I can't imagine morale is great with almost all the Virginia Surety administered Citi benefits going away in a couple months (which presumably means lots of layoffs).
Nirvana91 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by themicah
Virginia Surety (the company that handles Citi Trip Delay claims) seems backed up. I got a request for more information yesterday on a Price Rewind claim that I submitted on June 1.

I can't imagine morale is great with almost all the Virginia Surety administered Citi benefits going away in a couple months (which presumably means lots of layoffs).
Coverage for purchases made before September 22nd will continue after that date, so it's not like a switch is getting flipped.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
Any data points for recent claims submissions? I submitted a claim (Prestige) on June 3rd, received the "you will hear back within 14 days" email immediately, but today is the 26th and I haven't heard anything back yet.
Follow-up: I never was actually contacted by anyone, but I received an email today that indicated my claim was approved. I was approved for a slightly lesser amount than my claim, however. The reimbursement was still a good chunk of money because my expenses were pretty high (stranded in New York for about 48 hours due to WN and weather issues resulting in multiple canceled flights). In the end I received about 85% of what I requested and I am satisfied with that. I wish there was a way they could send me a checklist of what they reimbursed, what they didn't and why, but in the end I'll just be happy with what I got and sad that this benefit will be going away in a few months.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:28 pm

Follow-up: I never was actually contacted by anyone, but I received an email today that indicated my claim was approved. I was approved for a slightly lesser amount than my claim, however. The reimbursement was still a good chunk of money because my expenses were pretty high (stranded in New York for about 48 hours due to WN and weather issues resulting in multiple canceled flights). In the end I received about 85% of what I requested and I am satisfied with that. I wish there was a way they could send me a checklist of what they reimbursed, what they didn't and why, but in the end I'll just be happy with what I got and sad that this benefit will be going away in a few months.
Did you submit itemized tips on your receipts? Those have not been reimbursed as of late, IME.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Did you submit itemized tips on your receipts? Those have not been reimbursed as of late, IME.
I'm not sure what "itemized tips" means. Do you mean if the meal was for multiple people, breaking down the tip (and presumably the food as well) so that you are only claiming a portion of the tip for reimbursement?

Of the ~5 meals I had for reimbursement I think only 1 had more than one person's meals on the overall receipt, and yes, for that one I did break the tip down so that I was only claiming a 20% portion of the portion of the meal that I myself ate.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ShootinPutin11
I'm also curious about this. I've used the Citi Prestige insurance a couple of times in the past, but back when missed connections were covered even if the delay that missed the connection was fewer than 3 hours.

Now I'm trying to find an alternative that would cover me in case I miss a connection due to a delay that is shorter than 6 hours. Any advice? Would the Sapphire Reserve work in this case (e.g. delay of 4 hours causes a missed connection)?
From the T&Cs: "...Covered Trip is a period of travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence)...". Reasonable to expect that if a 4 hour delay causes a missed connection, return to your primary residence is in turn delayed by more than 6 hours, or requires an overnight stay, you should be covered. I expect the same would apply to intermediate destinations.

https://www.travelinsurancereview.ne...s/travel-delay is a pretty comprehensive list of delay insurance options, none are less than 5 hours.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:12 pm

I'm not sure what "itemized tips" means. Do you mean if the meal was for multiple people, breaking down the tip (and presumably the food as well) so that you are only claiming a portion of the tip for reimbursement?

Of the ~5 meals I had for reimbursement I think only 1 had more than one person's meals on the overall receipt, and yes, for that one I did break the tip down so that I was only claiming a 20% portion of the portion of the meal that I myself ate.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear -- in cases where the tip is broken out separately from the overall charge (which is true in most cases), Virginia Surety has silently denied paying out the tip portion of the bill; only the total+tax were covered for me.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Sorry, I wasn't very clear -- in cases where the tip is broken out separately from the overall charge (which is true in most cases), Virginia Surety has silently denied paying out the tip portion of the bill; only the total+tax were covered for me.
Interesting! Even with that information I still can't figure out an exact accounting of what was covered and what wasn't, but it seems pretty close to what you're saying above. Have you found them to do the same thing with taxis/rideshares as well, or is that only for restaurants?

A few years ago I had a claim that was reimbursed in FULL, and that claim definitely included tips for meals and taxis, so I just kind of assumed that was still the case.

I'm not the type of person to go back and forth with them over things like this - perhaps that makes me a sucker that isn't getting what I'm entitled to, but I just can't see it worth the time/effort. As long as I've received a major chunk of my claim I'm pretty happy overall. Perhaps that's what they're counting on though. I've had claims that have been more than the annual fee for the whole card, always nice when one of those gets approved for nearly the full amount.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:13 pm

Interesting! Even with that information I still can't figure out an exact accounting of what was covered and what wasn't, but it seems pretty close to what you're saying above. Have you found them to do the same thing with taxis/rideshares as well, or is that only for restaurants?

A few years ago I had a claim that was reimbursed in FULL, and that claim definitely included tips for meals and taxis, so I just kind of assumed that was still the case.

I'm not the type of person to go back and forth with them over things like this - perhaps that makes me a sucker that isn't getting what I'm entitled to, but I just can't see it worth the time/effort. As long as I've received a major chunk of my claim I'm pretty happy overall. Perhaps that's what they're counting on though. I've had claims that have been more than the annual fee for the whole card, always nice when one of those gets approved for nearly the full amount.
I just checked a claim from the beginning of 2018, and tip was also silently excluded from that amount. I'm not sure on ground transportation, but my guess would be that it would be excluded if noticed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.