Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by PointsforHolidayBoy
Yes, I could still use my card account. So are you saying that I'm in phase 1?
As far as we know, everyone who had their TY account frozen, eventually had their cards closed and their TY balance removed. But there have been variations:

In the first post in the thread, thehawk's cards were closed, but he still had access to the TY account and was able to redeem most. Soon after, they seemed to adopt the strategy of freezing the TY account first ("for review", but with only one outcome). Most recently, people have reported more like the initial behavior, their card is declined, the website tells them that the cards are closed, and they may have a short time to try to redeem.

But yes, you are in shutdown mode. Your petition is very timely....
Old May 30, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by Bean
The loan checks do seem to be a common theme with the shutdowns.
I'd be interested in the % of the shutdowns that involved student loan / mortgage checks.
FWIW, I just cashed a bunch of SL checks. Accounts are still open...
Old May 30, 2013, 11:10 am

Should I be shutting down my Thank You account? Would that save my other accounts?
Old May 30, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
...What I think triggered the review was that I redeemed my points for a student loan rebate of $250 last week.
If only last week, better check and make sure that the check hasn't bounced.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:14 am

Should I be shutting down my Thank You account? Would that save my other accounts?
You mean cancel the TY cards? No-one knows. Someone did that last week, but their account wasn't under review, so it will be hard to tell if that did anything. My guess (and just a guess) is that if your Citi relationship is being looked at, all the cards will be closed (because you are a security risk remember). But only Citi knows....
Old May 30, 2013, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I know of one guy who, when is TY Account went under review and was locked, went and pre-emptively shut down every single Citi credit card he had -- in hopes that this would avoid the blacklist that was sure to follow, and thus be able to sign up for new accounts in the near future.

Too early to know if that strategy worked, but, it is a thought.

Probably won't help much with your petition however if you've closed your accounts yourself.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:26 am

Can you just shutdown my thank you accounts?

I want to keep my Mastercard. I have a 12 year account with Citi. I can't believe they'll be shutting all my cards down for this.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:53 am

I want to keep my Mastercard. I have a 12 year account with Citi. I can't believe they'll be shutting all my cards down for this.
If you get shutdown, you will be told it was for security reasons. So there would be no sense in allowing you to keep any cards.

But as I said, no-one here knows, and it might be worth a try to close your TY cards. Since you are at least very likely to lose those, you have little to lose.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:08 pm
jmw

One of your helpers in your petition might be from Citi. That's the way I would bust you if I were working for them.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmw
One of your helpers in your petition might be from Citi. That's the way I would bust you if I were working for them.
That would be too diabolical. From my years of experience with Citi, they just aren't that clever.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:29 pm

Citi Mole

Originally Posted by jmw
I thought about that. A mole?

Well, the petition is still going public.

It's hard to say what triggered the review. My account was initiated for review yesterday. But last week, I also redeemed a check.

In any event, I accepted the risk there might be some retaliation for my petition.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Yes thanks for posting a link that confirms my point. Maybe you didn't read it? Or if you did, maybe you can point out to the rest of us where this shows you have to go through US Postal Inspectors to make an accusation of mail fraud?

Again just to be clear I am driving a lawsuit where we are spending, ooh, maybe around $1.5m a year in legal fees with a central focus on mail fraud. We did not discuss this case with the US Postal Inspectors. We filed suit in a federal court. So this is a bit closer to home than running around google trying to find pointless links.

It was this exact connection that made me think of the applicability of mail fraud to what Citi is doing here. The difficulty in this case would be demonstrating that Citi devised the scheme to defraud customers, but frankly I could see a reasonable case being made that they made an offer to solicit business using a bogus 5% offer and then purposefully retracted that and confiscated the bait they used. Frankly one could easily weave in wire fraud allegations if some of the solicitation was made by television commercials too.
What about the retention offer on the category bonus albeit for a short 3 months duration?

Several of us got such retention offers and suffer the same fates as those who took the new cards.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
I know of one guy who, when is TY Account went under review and was locked, went and pre-emptively shut down every single Citi credit card he had -- in hopes that this would avoid the blacklist that was sure to follow, and thus be able to sign up for new accounts in the near future.

Too early to know if that strategy worked, but, it is a thought.

Probably won't help much with your petition however if you've closed your accounts yourself.
This is the question I'm struggling with too. I appear to be in phase 2 -- thank you account under review and frozen but cards still working. On the one hand, I want to fight if they close me down. But, at the end of the day, I'm only looking at losing about 80k to 100k in points if I shut down voluntarily. I don't want to give up the right to fight if it's not going to get me anything.

But a "closed at customer's request" and a hope of staying on citi's good side seems like it might be worth letting those points go -- since they are likely as good as gone anyway.
Old May 30, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bait and Switch - Important Update

Around 2:45 EST, got a call from TY Dept in SD, informing me the closure of TY account and TY cards (and other Citi cards closed) cannot be reversed because the purchase of GCs at CVS are considered is an "abuse" to the program, even though I only bought 2 GCs at less than 10% of the card's credit line. That the security dept said I have committed "Fraud" therefore the cards were closed regardless GC has NEVER been listed as a forbidden item to buy in any T&Cs one can find, nor "Fraud" is ever defined in writing in any of the T&Cs.

She claimed that because "fraud" and "abuse" were committed, Citi has the right to close accounts and confiscate all points earned pass and present.

I pointed out that Citi made a retention offer, but never told customer that GC purchase was forbidden. When customer bought GCs, (and in this case, so
little of them), Citi took away the bait, and used the excuse to confiscate customer's prior years' earning, thus get away with its liability to pay out the rewards. A bait and switch in its worst form.

I told her that since I did not have phone recording facility, I was in a distinct disadvantage position, when it comes to the need to retrieve the phone records so we could verify exactly what she said as representing Citi's position on this, I wanted her to send me a letter in writing with the definitions she told me how the "fraud" and "abuse" are defined by Citi so I can have it in writing to take it to arbitration or other channels. She said a customer cannot dictate how Citi words its letter but she would send a letter on the account closure which is final.

She did not know my AA and HHonor cards were also closed. Then she said it was because i committed "fraud" to purchase GCs at merchant's where it earned category bonus. I asked her to clarify whether GC purchase itself is considered "fraud" and "abuse" on any card, or it is ONLY when purchased with cards with category bonuses? She said she did not know that she had to check with Citi's legal dept.

Again she reiterated the decision to closed my accounts and confiscated all my points earned from prior years was final. She would send me a letter.

I would let the community know what exact wordings are on the letter.

So Citi did tell me, verbally, what the reasons were, "fraud" and "abuse" on 2 GCs purchases on each of the Preferred cards that had retention bonus offers, and this allows them to take away 188K TYPs earned 4 years ago.

@ma91pmh, I would appreciate your assessment here on this latest admission by Citi.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 7, 2013 at 10:14 am
Old May 30, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes they will because they use the excuse that one has committed "fraud" therefore they can shut down your accounts.

I got a verbal definition from SD office that the security dept considers buying GCs are committed Fraud and Abuse of the program, regardless the amount involved.

Dont know how in depth the hunt is penetrating, however people who never redeemed any checks got shut down last weekend as well.

Essentially anyone ever bought any GC on a card with the GGD category bonus is at risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.