Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Why does CITI need your consent for the arbitration clause to be binding on You ?
It is a contract. A contract is only binding if you agree to it.

As noted, under SD law, there probably was an agreement. But virtually every contract requires agreement.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:33 pm

It sucks

Originally Posted by Happy
Nothing in writing received yet. Some bogus reasons were cited on the phone including one related to multiple TY cards, totally ignore the fact that 1) different card types - Premier, Preferred and Professional. 2) The Origins of the Preferred started in 2006 and 2008 from 2 different cards that were converted, including one started out as an AMEX TY card that Citi discontinued. Even having AU on 2 TY cards was being used as an excuse for the dislike by Citi as to earn bonus points. I never know having an AU can earn bonus points from Citi, as that never happens to me! GC purchases at CVS was cited but the person said she would take into the consideration of how little I had purchased. Sadly I did not have phone recording facility on my end.

As late as on Friday around 2:30pm Sioux Falls time, I was told over the phone by the person at President's Office, that she "would not make a decision to whether she would unfreeze my TY account until Next Week." and she supposedly would then call me back on that decision.

Of course that has turned out to be a blatant lie.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by billybayswater
Thoughts on whether it's a bad idea to use VR to hit spend on a new AA card? Seems like this wave of shut downs is just for the 5x TYP program, but it seems so draconian that I'm almost afraid to use Citi for manufactured spend at all now.
I've been wondering about this, too.

I don't have any TYP cards, never have (and I'm certainly not planning to get one now). But I do have a few AA Citi cards (all 1x), and have been planning to include one or two more in my next AOR. I typically only hit the "manufacture" button pretty lightly on any card ($500-$1000 a month max, per card). Now, with the current ongoing witch hunt, I"m wondering if ANY Citi card is safe to use.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy

I don't have any TYP cards, never have (and I'm certainly not planning to get one now). But I do have a few AA Citi cards (all 1x), and have been planning to include one or two more in my next AOR. I typically only hit the "manufacture" button pretty lightly on any card ($500-$1000 a month max, per card). Now, with the current ongoing witch hunt, I"m wondering if ANY Citi card is safe to use.
I would be wary! We believe that buying VR/GC isn't against the TY T&Cs, but still get shut down, so the fact that it also isn't against AA T&C doesn't help..

Now on the other side, as MM says, it is only x1, but if there is indeed a witch hunt against this type of spend, I would hold off for now. Also, as it is only x1, missing the opportunity isn't so bad.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy

That would be quite a sight to see a blogger get shut down for buying VR...
Old May 27, 2013, 5:47 pm

I'm serious about writing a petition.

Would people be up for signing it against Citi's Witchhunt?
Old May 27, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
It is a contract. A contract is only binding if you agree to it
It is a credit card agreement. A consumer need not voice agreement to a change before it is binding

Last edited by Alcibiades; May 27, 2013 at 6:23 pm
Old May 27, 2013, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointsforHolidayBoy
I'm serious about writing a petition.

Would people be up for signing it against Citi's Witchhunt?
I am sure you would.

Once you are ready for it to be submitted then let the community to know where to sign.

By the way, Congrats for passing the CA Bar with flying color! Lots of hard work for sure (reminding me my own CPA exam years back).

And thank you for your volunteering on the petition.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I followed their tcs...
Some of you keep saying this to make yourselves feel better but if you are so proud of following the TCs, why do you have such a hard time accepting the fact that Citi is also following the SAME exact TCs that you are following? Specifically, closing your account for whatever reason the bank feels is appropriate. You seem to forget it is a two way street way up there on your soap box.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Resources

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Consumer Dispute Resolution

Citi ThankYou Preferred Agreement

Citi ThankYou Rewards Terms & Conditions

Equal Credit Opportunity Act

ECOA Regulation B

§ 202.2 Definitions.

For the purposes of this regulation, unless the context indicates otherwise, the following definitions apply.
(c) Adverse action--(1) The term means:
(ii) A termination of an account or an unfavorable change in the terms of an account that does not affect all or substantially all of a class of the creditor's accounts; or

§ 202.9 Notifications.

(a) Notification of action taken, ECOA notice, and statement of specific reasons-- (1) When notification is required. A creditor shall notify an applicant of action taken within:

(iii) 30 days after taking adverse action on an existing account; or

(2) Content of notification when adverse action is taken. A notification given to an applicant when adverse action is taken shall be in writing and shall contain a statement of the action taken; the name and address of the creditor; a statement of the provisions of § 701(a) of the Act; the name and address of the federal agency that administers compliance with respect to the creditor; and either:

(i) A statement of specific reasons for the action taken; or

(ii) A disclosure of the applicant's right to a statement of specific reasons within 30 days, if the statement is requested within 60 days of the creditor's notification. The disclosure shall include the name, address, and telephone number of the person or office from which the statement of reasons can be obtained. If the creditor chooses to provide the reasons orally, the creditor shall also disclose the applicant's right to have them confirmed in writing within 30 days of receiving the applicant's written request for confirmation.

(b) Form of ECOA notice and statement of specific reasons--(1) ECOA notice. To satisfy the disclosure requirements of paragraph (a)(2) of this section regarding section 701(a) of the Act, the creditor shall provide a notice that is substantially similar to the following:

The federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act prohibits creditors from discriminating against credit applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age (provided the applicant has the capacity to enter into a binding contract); because all or part of the applicant's income derives from any public assistance program; or because the applicant has in good faith exercised any right under the Consumer Credit Protection Act. The federal agency that administers compliance with this law concerning this creditor is [name and address as specified by the appropriate agency listed in appendix A of this regulation].

(2) Statement of specific reasons. The statement of reasons for adverse action required by paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section must be specific and indicate the principal reason(s) for the adverse action. Statements that the adverse action was based on the creditor's internal standards or policies or that the applicant, joint applicant, or similar party failed to achieve the qualifying score on the creditor's credit scoring system are insufficient.

§ 202.16 Enforcement, penalties and liabilities.

(b) Penalties and liabilities--(1) Sections 702(g) and 706(a) and (b) of the Act provide that any creditor that fails to comply with a requirement imposed by the Act or this regulation is subject to civil liability for actual and punitive damages in individual or class actions. Pursuant to sections 702(g) and 704(b), (c), and (d) of the Act, violations of the Act or this regulation also constitute violations of other federal laws. Liability for punitive damages can apply only to nongovernmental entities and is limited to $10,000 in individual actions and the lesser of $500,000 or 1 percent of the creditor's net worth in class actions. Sections 706(c) provides for equitable and declaratory relief and section 706(d) authorizes the awarding of costs and reasonable attorney's fees to an aggrieved applicant in a successful action.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:58 pm

If you wish to elevate, you may write to Richard Cordray, Chief of Consumer Financial Protection giving all facts and data of your case for them to investigate and copy to CEO of Citi bank.

If the penalty from Citi is excessive compared to errors, let CFPB figure out.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:01 pm
wcj

And what, your soap box is higher than his? This attitude is becoming more prevalent as everyone has their own line of what they perceive is okay. We have the it's probably okay to maybe buy one VR to hit minimum spend, but two is pushing it and thus, the one that bought two (or perhaps a few more than two, lol) is a bad, bad, man. It's the Im fine, but those "others" aren't.

C'mon, this isn't the playground, no need for spite or judgment. Rather, if you haven't bought a VR or GC, then this thread should have no interest for you and you obviously would not have anything to contribute that would be constructive.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Bottom line is that unless the T&C's say that you cannot purchase VR's, then there's nothing wrong with purchasing them, whether it's 1 or 100. Certain stores sell them, and you are allowed by the Citi T&C to buy things from that store (assuming they accept V and MC), therefore anything in that store you are allowed to buy, and as many as you want.

Let's say I spend $20K/month in my business expenses. I can choose to purchase $20K worth of VR's if I want, or $20K of GC's, to pay my vendors, or just pay them directly. That's most certainly allowable. We're all talking about this subject now because of the swift action Citi has taken, which most of us feel is within Citi's rights, but it is not in their rights to confiscate our TYP balances.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:17 pm

I think that swintec's point was that Citi's action is also within the T&Cs, following the chain:

a) We can close a card for any reason
b) Once the card is closed (not important)
c) Once all sponsor accounts are closed, the TY account may be closed
d) Once the TY account is closed, all unredeemed points will be lost

(and elsewhere the statement that TY points have no value outside the program).

So, we can't justify our claims by saying we follow T&Cs without noting that so do Citi.

But that ignores whether these actions are really enforceable when other consumer protections may apply. I can sign T&Cs saying you can kill my first-born son if I am 30 days late, but if the bank acted on that.....
Old May 27, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Besides the CFPB and the OCC you can also file a complaint with the New York State Department of Financial Services.

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumer/fileacomplaint.htm

The more complaints they receive the more likely that regulators will take action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.