FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reasons-not-disclosed.html)

Marathon Man May 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 20789629)
My experience is pretty much the same as Happy's -- I have been told that I can continue to accumulate points, and indeed points are still posting to my account even though it is under review. I cannot, however, use them. I hope they will give me a chance to do so before shutting me down, but that seems unlikely.

You must sue them
For they are stupid

Mountain Trader May 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 20789536)
Well i guess what i mean is...

When they post can i use them?

I suppose what ill do is see them, use as many as i can quickly, and then see if it lasts.

At least you'll have the pride of ownership.

Marathon Man May 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Since this deal is riddled with possible threats much like trench warfare of WW1, I think the best thing to do is get as many little gains as possible while the getting is good.

silver6054 May 22, 2013 11:52 am

As posted elsewhere by the Mileage Professor, the 5x TY card (not the preferred) is available at branches, with the same 5x GGD for 12 months, 15K points for $1000 spend. I just checked in mine and they printed out a flier for me (also includes the 30K offer for the Premier).

So I guess they STILL don't think it is a bad idea, just so long as they can stop you if you earn too much.

iahphx May 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 20793469)
As posted elsewhere by the Mileage Professor, the 5x TY card (not the preferred) is available at branches, with the same 5x GGD for 12 months, 15K points for $1000 spend. I just checked in mine and they printed out a flier for me (also includes the 30K offer for the Premier).

So I guess they STILL don't think it is a bad idea, just so long as they can stop you if you earn too much.

Yeah, this probably isn't a great development for the folks who already have the card. It would be better if Citi just "forgot" about the folks who still have "the deal," and not worry so much how they're using their cards.

On a positive note, perhaps we can all find a branch next year and reapply. :)

silver6054 May 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20794984)

On a positive note, perhaps we can all find a branch next year and reapply. :)

Yes, and though it hasn't bothered Citi in the past, this way we would apply for a *different* card, the Thank You rather than Thank You Preferred, so we don't have two TYP!

marble123 May 22, 2013 6:44 pm

What level of churn has triggered account closures? Has anyone been shut down doing $10k/month?

thehawk75 May 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by marble123 (Post 20795668)
What level of churn has triggered account closures? Has anyone been shut down doing $10k/month?

RTFT

But, in a word: yes!

iahphx May 23, 2013 6:54 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 20795891)
RTFT

But, in a word: yes!

Not familiar with that acronym, at first I thought it meant "Read the Flyertalk Thread." But by googling it, I see it's not that kind. :)

Seriously, we really don't have a good handle on what level of spending will get you shut down. I think there was one report of a new account that was shut down below 10K. It seems like the vast majority of shutdowns were for "crazy" spending: north of 50K. There have also been folks getting in trouble for asking for a mortgage check.

Has there been anyone shut down for spending under 20K who didn't have a brand new account and didn't ask for a mortgage check? I haven't heard of that person. At least not yet.

silver6054 May 23, 2013 6:58 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 20797950)
Not familiar with that acronym, at first I thought it meant "Read the Flyertalk Thread." But by googling it, I see it's not that kind. :)

Seriously, we really don't have a good handle on what level of spending will get you shut down. I think there was one report of a new account that was shut down below 10K. It seems like the vast majority of shutdowns were for "crazy" spending: north of 50K. There have also been folks getting in trouble for asking for a mortgage check.

Has there been anyone shut down for spending under 20K who didn't have a brand new account and didn't ask for a mortgage check? I haven't heard of that person. At least not yet.

I think thehawk mentioned shutdowns (maybe new accounts) at the 50-60K level of TYP, which is only $10-12K

glocklt4 May 23, 2013 7:20 am

My account is still up and got a bunch more TY points deposited yesterday.

us1549 May 23, 2013 8:42 am

I charged 2k on my first statement and still kicking :)

mittenfingerz May 23, 2013 10:30 am

I'm still up and running at ~20k/month. Maybe transferring the points to another TY account before redeeming has concealed my "activities".

ramalama8 May 23, 2013 11:06 am

Originally Posted by stupidzbu (Post 20778413)
Seriously, the banks play their dirty tricks and make billions of dollars. Just look at the mortgage backed security fiasco from the real estate bubble. They have no ethical limits and are in it to make as much as possible.

Why is this ever a talking point? Since when did one unethical behavior warrant another?

Let me make this clear: I am not suggesting that buying VR and cashing them out is unethical -- heck, I do it myself.

But why even bring up the questionable actions of another? To make one feel better about their own behavior? Just leave this type of stuff out of it.

ramalama8 May 23, 2013 11:07 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz (Post 20799032)
I'm still up and running at ~20k/month. Maybe transferring the points to another TY account before redeeming has concealed my "activities".

$20k spend at GGD? or 20k points earned?