FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reasons-not-disclosed.html)

AFAM-DFW Feb 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 26212518)
You want to share some details about what you did that resulted in that shutdown? Might save someone a similar fate...

It looks like there are many roads to the blacklist. WMBP, churn, overpaying account, multiple payment sources and someone looking at your account when they are in a bad mood.

With so many ways to go wrong, I'm not sure what's safe.

yoyo Feb 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215 (Post 26211450)
was it a completely shutdown? I was shutdown two weeks ago with one card remaining open, 7 being axed.

complete shutdown. including corp card.

johnnie198x Apr 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Just found out my Prestige was closed early March. Never checked mail, and it never shows online that the cards were closed. Also never notice the TYP balance.
Probably reasons: churned too many AA Exe and AA Plat. WMBP with all of them, but not this Prestige.
Lost 60k TYP, had no grace period to redeem. Any recommendations on what actions to take? I'm out of the country, so court is not an option. Thanks.

deant May 1, 2016 12:17 am

How did you find out that your card was closed "early March"? Since it has been almost 2 months since the card was closed, I suspect that you have no recourse. You say that it never showed online that the account was closed. Did you look at the CL or try to use the card in those 2 months? How do you know that there was not a grace period to redeem the TYP?

johnnie198x May 1, 2016 2:27 am

Originally Posted by deant (Post 26559926)
How did you find out that your card was closed "early March"? Since it has been almost 2 months since the card was closed, I suspect that you have no recourse. You say that it never showed online that the account was closed. Did you look at the CL or try to use the card in those 2 months? How do you know that there was not a grace period to redeem the TYP?

While doing recon for app, I was told I have problem with existing accounts, so I called in and was told the card was closed on 3/8. TYP rep told me there is no grace period and all points forfeited if the card is closed by the bank.
For 2 months, I logged in like 1-2 times, there was no small line of "Alert: this account is closed" I never paid attention to the available credit or the TYP balance.

fromfall98 May 24, 2016 9:29 am

Stumbled upon this thread today and WOW!!!! I had no idea about these shutdowns!!! I just started buying Simon GC a week back, guess will stop it now!!!!

Too much to lose to get few thousand points / miles!

esckey Nov 18, 2016 8:25 am

Originally Posted by SuperKirby (Post 20510154)
Reading this thread and just adding a comment. I am SO surprised to why there is no cap with Citi cards! Especially at 5x. I've been with so many different companies which all have caps. Obviously Citi's fault for not entering one simple cap into their computer system.

what is it you gyts are getting 5x with at citi?

Agreed... if you are going to shut down accounts... why not put a cap on it instead and just be up front and put limits on crap... I mean you ban a big spender... congratulations you lost a user an X dollars of money from their spending and you get a bad reputation.

However AMEX did this years ago, the no cap thing. Shut down numerous people for a couple years on a certain card.... Then they put a cap on stuff and I haven't heard as many complains about shut downs from them. Although if anyone needs to show big inflated numbers right now, AMEX is in desperate need of showing big numbers right now.

NoonRadar Mar 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW (Post 26213830)
It looks like there are many roads to the blacklist. WMBP, churn, overpaying account, multiple payment sources and someone looking at your account when they are in a bad mood.

With so many ways to go wrong, I'm not sure what's safe.

Calling their executive office with a knock knock joke should restore accounts that were shut down due to their bad mood.