FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reasons-not-disclosed.html)

glocklt4 May 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz (Post 20799032)
I'm still up and running at ~20k/month. Maybe transferring the points to another TY account before redeeming has concealed my "activities".

I am considering doing this too. We don't have a TY Premiere anymore and travel is much cheaper with 33% bonus on that card. Another family member has one and can just book for us.

mittenfingerz May 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ramalama8 (Post 20799258)
$20k spend at GGD? or 20k points earned?

$20k spend at CVS :D

lkar May 23, 2013 4:10 pm

I would definitely transfer if you have a family member with premier. Citi has a monopoly on the whole thing, running both the banking side and rewards side so it it wants to get aggressive it can start clawing stuff back, but it's one more step they would have to take.

I wouldn't let the points sit too long in the transferee account. They have to get redeemed within 90 days anyway to avoid expiration.

tigerhunt2011 May 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 20801032)
I would definitely transfer if you have a family member with premier. Citi has a monopoly on the whole thing, running both the banking side and rewards side so it it wants to get aggressive it can start clawing stuff back, but it's one more step they would have to take.

I wouldn't let the points sit too long in the transferee account. They have to get redeemed within 90 days anyway to avoid expiration.

Am I the only one getting antsy thinking the "family transfer" scheme and the reports of Chase closing down UR accounts when doing that?

silver6054 May 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011 (Post 20801112)
Am I the only one getting antsy thinking the "family transfer" scheme and the reports of Chase closing down UR accounts when doing that?

Well, the transferability of TYP is marketed by Citi as a feature. Which of course says nothing about them not being able to shut you down for using it!

Stoughton May 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 20801158)
Well, the transferability of TYP is marketed by Citi as a feature.

As is the ability to earn unlimited points.

lkar May 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton (Post 20801559)
As is the ability to earn unlimited points.

Well, it's easy to allow people to earn unlimited points if you just are going to shut them down if they take you up on it.

stevento May 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Have there been reports of Citi taking away transferred points?
I'm sure they can do that, if they can cancel checks, they can take away their own points..but have they?

nrr May 24, 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 20789629)
My experience is pretty much the same as Happy's -- I have been told that I can continue to accumulate points, and indeed points are still posting to my account even though it is under review. I cannot, however, use them. I hope they will give me a chance to do so before shutting me down, but that seems unlikely.

They may as well deposit 1,000,000 TY points--if they know you can't use them...but the number looks nice on your statement.:D

[Many years ago a check for $24.00 (drawn on my Citibank checking acct) was misposted as $10,000,024.00 by the receiving bank--so an offset deposit for $10,000,000--it looked nice on my statement.:D]

Preacher7 May 24, 2013 6:06 am

Statement closed yesterday. TYP earned showing in my CC account today. But...they're not showing in my linked account at thankyou.com. How long do they take to get transferred over there so I can redeem them?

dogbyte May 24, 2013 10:01 am

The points transfer over within 24 hours or so.

silver6054 May 24, 2013 10:05 am

Happy, any news? I thought originally you were going to hear or escalate on Wednesday.

fetchercity May 24, 2013 7:49 pm

ALL Citi Cards Closed Today

I'd like to add my depressing data point.

ALL of my Citi cards were closed today. I have a Citi TYPreferred, a Citi AA, and a Citi Forward. I should also mention that I've had a Citigold checking account with them for the past three months. I've had the Citi AA for over a year, and the TYP and the Forward for the past four months. The TYPr was approved through a hidden link that got me 5X on ALL purchases for the first six months - that link was closed a long time ago.

Needless to say, I was using the TYP as my primary card for all normal spending as well as manufactured spending. In the past four months, I had put about 20-25k/month on the card. Like I said, a mixture of real and manufactured spend. Some at CVS, Safeway, Rite Aid, etc. I bought VRs, Visa GCs, etc.

Card was denied for a small purchase today at a local grocery store. Came back home, logged into my online account, and saw that all three cards had been closed. Called customer service and after a relatively brief call, the rep told me that the "Security Investigation" crew had closed the account, but that they were unwilling to speak to me further about the account.

I feel like this is probably a lost cause, but do I have any recourse?

silver6054 May 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Was your TY account frozen at any point, or had you not tried? People haven't recently reported closure as the first step.

gloreglabert May 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 20807592)
Was your TY account frozen at any point, or had you not tried? People haven't recently reported closure as the first step.

Since this is fetchercity's first post in this thread, I'm guessing that he wasn't paying attention to his TY account. From the looks of things, unless you try to make a redemption and notice that your TY account is locked, you could be under investigation for weeks and not realize it until your cards get closed.

Of course, if that's not the case, then this gets much scarier.