FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reasons-not-disclosed.html)

js80 Oct 7, 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464 (Post 21561970)
For only <10K TYP, I'd let this go.

I'm certainly going to let it go. I didn't mean to imply that I was actually considering calling in over this. Just wanted everyone following this thread to be aware and on the lookout for this kind of thing.

The good news is that the ~80k points I was expecting from my latest statement posted correctly. So this 10k loss was probably just a one time fluky thing.

The only explanation I can think of is that I cancelled one of my two Premiers back in July. I thought I was careful to make sure that I had redeemed all points associated with that sponsor account, but perhaps I made a mistake. Still, if Citi were expiring/forfeiting those points, I would have expected to see a line item for it in my points history. I guess it will remain a mystery.

Bender464 Oct 7, 2013 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by js80 (Post 21568650)
I'm certainly going to let it go. I didn't mean to imply that I was actually considering calling in over this. Just wanted everyone following this thread to be aware and on the lookout for this kind of thing.

The good news is that the ~80k points I was expecting from my latest statement posted correctly. So this 10k loss was probably just a one time fluky thing.

The only explanation I can think of is that I cancelled one of my two Premiers back in July. I thought I was careful to make sure that I had redeemed all points associated with that sponsor account, but perhaps I made a mistake. Still, if Citi were expiring/forfeiting those points, I would have expected to see a line item for it in my points history. I guess it will remain a mystery.

^ ^

kayjay Oct 7, 2013 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by js80 (Post 21568650)

kayjay Oct 7, 2013 12:26 pm

I see no reason that you not pursue this matter if you haven't been playing games with your account. Nothing in this thread or my own personal experience (I have slowly reduced my 400K plus account to just over 200K through flight usage) leads me to believe that a call to inquire about a missing 10K point would result in cancellation of your card.
I am not a fan of Citi TY and have told them so many times (usually resulting in bonus points. However, in Citi's defense, they are in the business to make money and despite the opinion of many posters they are not stupid.. The indiscriminate closing of accounts for no justifiable reason is no way to make money.

I doubt that the number accounts closed is more than I minute fraction of the total TY cards out there.

Basically there is no reason for non-abusers to run scared.

us1549 Oct 7, 2013 11:30 pm

let's be serious, the fact that we're posting in this thread means we're playing games. I doubt anyone got their acct shut for 1x MS.

ma91pmh Oct 8, 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Kalun47 (Post 21571746)
let's be serious, the fact that you're posting in this thread would mean you're playing games. I doubt anyone got their acct shut for 1x MS.

if you'd read the thread, you would know some folks who did next to no ms got caught up in the waves

lacuadra Oct 9, 2013 11:36 pm

As far as my TYP I just put a few dollars here and there. Just dont find the CitiTYP that appealing so I rather use my Chase cards for UR points.

Same story with my Bank of America card. I have no use for that one so I use it here and there every few months. I used to keep my Discover card in the drawer but lately I have found it to be very useful.

I have an AAdv and a HH which I use constantly so Citi gets some of my business too

How do you guys accumulate so many points per statement?

lacuadra Oct 9, 2013 11:42 pm

80k points per statement?

Wow that is like 160 VR! I doubt there are that many VR in all the CVS in my town. Or are you spending this 80k in real purchases ?

mshah Oct 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by lacuadra (Post 21583810)

Wow that is like 160 VR! I doubt there are that many VR in all the CVS in my town. Or are you spending this 80k in real purchases ?

How did you get to number 160? It's only 32 VRs :D

LoveMountains Oct 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by mshah (Post 21587198)
How did you get to number 160? It's only 32 VRs :D

Nah. Should be only 31.749181466415318980057545391408. Don't forget the fees. :)

lacuadra Oct 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by mshah (Post 21587198)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lacuadra

How did you get to number 160? It's only 32 VRs

I am kind of new to MS so I thought 80k point = 160 vanilla cards at 500 points each.

I was converted to the CTP from another useless Citi card. It is the oldest of my cards (27 yrs) and free so I use it for my toll subscription which is less than ~$20 a month and it is paid off every month.

js80 Oct 11, 2013 8:02 am

Originally Posted by lacuadra (Post 21583810)

Citi TYP 5X, for 12 months. It appears to no longer be available though.

happyvoid Oct 13, 2013 3:20 am

5x pts for all purchase

js: was it for all purchases? and which citi card was it? Was it a direct sign up link?

Bender464 Oct 13, 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 21599258)
js: was it for all purchases? and which citi card was it? Was it a direct sign up link?

The referred to is the Thank You Preferred 5X Gas, Groceries, Drug Stores. It definitely is no longer offered.

skywind Oct 15, 2013 8:47 am

Something fishy is happening.

My statement cut yesterday showing 200K points posted and transferred to thankyou account. I login into thankyou account today and no points show up from the new statement. I look at the history and it seems the points always show up in the thankyou account activity the next day after statement cut (and then redeemed by me). And so this is something new to me.

Wondering what is going on/brewing.