FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reasons-not-disclosed.html)

thewire76 Oct 27, 2013 5:59 am

Originally Posted by apuraja (Post 21671850)
what's the best way to liquidate Walmart GC we get from TU points? I'm signed up as a bulk seller @ cardpool, card zen, raise and others .. getting no more than 92/100 even though I do $$$$/month

Sent you some ideas via PM

greek2me Oct 27, 2013 6:31 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4 (Post 21623090)
Looks like I'm past halfway point too. Time to ramp it up towards the finish line :P

Also have just 5-6 months to go and going to ramp up to another level. Anyone with experience doing $15k+/mo spend on their 5x TY want to chime in on how far they have taken it? I have $20k CL on my card. I do not think I will risk doing early payments to try to exceed that CL. But looking to do just under my CL each month (say 30 total trans/mo, with $15k at CVess in 3-4 trans and rest spread across other 5x places).

guyinmotion Oct 27, 2013 7:28 am

Originally Posted by wcj (Post 21560701)
I think the recommended use is quarterly, but I could be wrong.

How about those of us who spend most of our time overseas (9+ months). If this is indeed the recommended use rule, then I better switch my cards to NF Trans fee cards so that I can use them overseas on a monthly basis and avoid the risk of having them closed by Citi.

dedkends Oct 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by greek2me (Post 21676176)
Also have just 5-6 months to go and going to ramp up to another level. Anyone with experience doing $15k+/mo spend on their 5x TY want to chime in on how far they have taken it? I have $20k CL on my card. I do not think I will risk doing early payments to try to exceed that CL. But looking to do just under my CL each month (say 30 total trans/mo, with $15k at CVess in 3-4 trans and rest spread across other 5x places).

You should be fine spending at those levels. FWIW I have not had any problems w/total monthly spend that exceeds CL.

Marathon Man Oct 27, 2013 5:09 pm

I have done two months over $60k spend on a $6,500 CR lim. Fast cycle, pay thru transfers from citi checking, etc. I also just took the big risk of leaving 200+k TYP in the acct as the new statement cut and got another 340k the other day. Today we sat at the dining room table burning thru 500k points for our summer travels and I'm left with a measly 50k TYP now lol. Guess I gotsta go out there and get er up again!

I am doing this in part to get the points but also to shove it to citi who burned so many people back in May. I have always gone with the mind set that they could shut me down at any time and so I have to work fast with redemption--this being the only time I ever left any points in. Other months of 40,45, 50k spend I spent them ASAP. I will probably refrain from leaving any in during a statement cut again but we knew we needed to see all points in order to make the plans fit with flights and hotels booked thru the TYP site and all.

My card is still 99.9% MS and it's an even split so far between GC and PP products. I plan to do this til I can no longer. Then I will try a new.

:)MM

guyinmotion Oct 28, 2013 12:04 am

Forgive me if I am late in the discussion, but is Citi offering Point promotions and then closing on those who rack up the points thru legitimate spend? If there is no cap on how many TY points you can earn, why not honor the promo offer?

lacuadra Oct 28, 2013 12:17 am

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

I guess Citi never took into consideration the large number of uninsured Americans who have to pay for their prescriptions at CVS....

Marathon Man Oct 28, 2013 6:01 am

Originally Posted by guyinmotion (Post 21680316)
Forgive me if I am late in the discussion, but is Citi offering Point promotions and then closing on those who rack up the points thru legitimate spend? If there is no cap on how many TY points you can earn, why not honor the promo offer?

They did a big witch hunt in may
Most who got axd have sued and to daye many have won a settlement.
Yup, nothin wrong with our spend according to the tcs

Originally Posted by lacuadra (Post 21680345)
I guess Citi never took into consideration the large number of uninsured Americans who have to pay for their prescriptions at CVS....

Or nice rich people who buy tons of groceries to probably donate them

zenride Oct 28, 2013 6:18 am

Credit limit increase datapoint:

Email notices received at 7-9 month mark stating automatic CLI has been given, or else a link to apply manually with no credit bureau inquiry. Received $2-3k increase.

guyinmotion Oct 28, 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 21681141)
They did a big witch hunt in may
Most who got axd have sued and to daye many have won a settlement.
Yup, nothin wrong with our spend according to the tcs

Thanks for filling me in. I am a bit concerned now. I keep most of my finances with Chase and a bank in Asia. I was considering using Citi products and services to the mix for greater security and more flexibility. I am now having second thoughts. Maybe I should try not to fix what is not broken??

By the way, this is around the same time I was due some TY points from a CC sign-up offer I had met the requirements for (my first citi product, testing the waters) and never received the points. I was then told my application didn't have an sign-up offer even though I applied through their website that had been running sign-up offers non-stop. I didn't have any paper or email to prove it so I gave up. I wonder if this witch hunt you speak of was somewhat related.

zenride Oct 31, 2013 9:11 am

Does anyone know if Citi's 12-month promotional offers end on the anniversary date of account approval or if they last until the end of the 12th statement?

Marathon Man Oct 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by zenride (Post 21700961)
Does anyone know if Citi's 12-month promotional offers end on the anniversary date of account approval or if they last until the end of the 12th statement?

Good q

With my amex blue i think it cut off mid statement so it was exact annual

Maybe call citi the 11th month to ask them. At that point, hey, whats there to lose?

zenride Oct 31, 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 21703461)
Good q

With my amex blue i think it cut off mid statement so it was exact annual

Maybe call citi the 11th month to ask them. At that point, hey, whats there to lose?

ummm... everything that might have been earned during the 11th & 12th month? :eek:

ThePointsCollector Oct 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 21678871)
I have done two months over $60k spend on a $6,500 CR lim. Fast cycle, pay thru transfers from citi checking, etc. I also just took the big risk of leaving 200+k TYP in the acct as the new statement cut and got another 340k the other day.

:)MM

How do you manage to cash out 60K in MS? How many BB and AP accounts do you have?

LoveMountains Oct 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector (Post 21704198)
How do you manage to cash out 60K in MS? How many BB and AP accounts do you have?

MM is well known to have an extended family that allows him to manage 50 AP and BB accounts for them.

Was it a serious question from a guy/gal with 850+ posts???