FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reasons-not-disclosed.html)

thehawk75 May 6, 2013 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ddavid1101 (Post 20707888)
Just redeemed 100K. My next statement hits May 20th. I'm at $11,200 in spend for the month(Just under the 60K pts per month listed above). My credit limit is $8,500. I make multiple payments throughout and mix spend though all at 5X places.

The 60K points is merely the lowest number per month earned of those who 'reported' their shut down. This limit could be lower, or there may not be a floor at all...

I have 7 CC with citi and multiple accounts with decent balances and a Citigold client. I have been an customer for almost 10 years and was a former employee.

I had 6 CC's with them, was also Citigold (still am actually but, I plan to change that soon), and had been a customer for 16 years.

This did not save me from closure. Granted I was never a former employee, however.

I have my fingers crossed. I hope I'm not shut down. There would be lots of accounts to be closed.

You may, or you may not. If you are going to play this game, however, make sure you are redeeming out those TYPs. They can and will ultimately make those go 'poof' the instant you are flagged.

dogbyte May 6, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks for the information. I spent quite a bit this month and I am fairly concerned about getting shut down. I haven't been closed to hitting 60k TYPs per month, but clearly Citi is aware of the issue now. By shutting down your TY account, they are purposefully preventing you from redeeming your TYPs. Previously, some people have speculated that the shutdown was due to massive spending out of proportion to your credit limit, which may pose a security risk. That certainly does not seem to be the case if they are shutting down your TY account first. I wonder why the link to apply for the card is still active. Maybe one department is not communicating with the other?

ma91pmh May 6, 2013 4:52 pm

this is like chase aarp all over again

jewsus May 6, 2013 6:26 pm

My TY account was locked a couple of weeks ago after I redeemed a decent amount of points. Received the checks, deposited and they bounced. Called my bank and apparently Citi put a stop payment on them. It appears even cashing out doesn't always work, however, there is no harm in trying.

I guess I'm waiting for my card to be shutdown and then AA. Not sure what I can do proactively to avoid AA other than close my card and keep my fingers crossed. Any suggestions?

Artemk May 6, 2013 7:30 pm

Wow, some scary stories here...

Could someone point me a thread where exit strategies are discussed? Or maybe just describe options in a few words...

My favorite thing was MRs or tickets when I need them, but don't have any plans until fall - now afraid to keep 200K points in the account...

Happy May 6, 2013 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by jewsus (Post 20708612)
My TY account was locked a couple of weeks ago after I redeemed a decent amount of points. Received the checks, deposited and they bounced. Called my bank and apparently Citi put a stop payment on them. It appears even cashing out doesn't always work, however, there is no harm in trying.

I guess I'm waiting for my card to be shutdown and then AA. Not sure what I can do proactively to avoid AA other than close my card and keep my fingers crossed. Any suggestions?

Were most of your TYP balance from the current 5x card?

Can you still access your TYP account?

Originally Posted by ctbarron (Post 20708912)
For those who have been shut down, are ALL Citi CC's closed, even those (AA, Hilton, etc) without ThankYou points? I'd guess yes but would be interested to hear.

Didn't you read the last few pages starting from early April?

Go back to thawk75's earlier posts - apparently all cards are shut down.

ctbarron May 6, 2013 7:37 pm

For those who have been shut down, are ALL Citi CC's closed, even those (AA, Hilton, etc) without ThankYou points? I'd guess yes but would be interested to hear.

Artemk May 6, 2013 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 20708883)
Were most of your TYP balance from the current 5x card?

Right now - 50-50, but things changing with every statement :)

Bender464 May 6, 2013 8:44 pm

:td: :(

Artemk May 6, 2013 9:41 pm

Somewhat on topic - how do I see where my TYP balance came from? Per CSR points earned first would be spent first - how do I see how many points from what card do I have?

Thanks.

silver6054 May 6, 2013 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk (Post 20709435)
Somewhat on topic - how do I see where my TYP balance came from? Per CSR points earned first would be spent first - how do I see how many points from what card do I have?

Thanks.

There may be a better way, but you can log in to the Thank You site (if of course you still can!) then My Account>Points Summary

This takes you to a page with date ranges (looks like 12 months max) and a drop down that defaults to all accounts but you can select individual sponsor accounts.

This then gives you all the points, earned per month, by that sponsor account

dfw_plt_aa May 6, 2013 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by jewsus (Post 20708612)

You can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau stating that Citibank is writing checks that bounce for your credit card rewards.

https://help.consumerfinance.gov/app/creditcard/ask

Then if they close your credit card you can complain to their regulator that they retaliated against you for filing a government complaint.

http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/compla...complaint.html

gloreglabert May 6, 2013 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa (Post 20709544)
Then if they close your credit card you can complain to their regulator that they retaliated against you for filing a government complaint.

http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/compla...complaint.html

Unfortunately, proving something like that would probably be next to impossible.

thehawk75 May 6, 2013 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk (Post 20708872)
Wow, some scary stories here...

Could someone point me a thread where exit strategies are discussed? Or maybe just describe options in a few words...

My favorite thing was MRs or tickets when I need them, but don't have any plans until fall - now afraid to keep 200K points in the account...

The simple answer is: Don't keep TY Points in the account!!

This thread itself has discussed cashing out at 1cpp. Not going to spell it out again, go and research into it. It's well known, but, I loath to spell this out with pictures and arrows like some deal-killing-referal-pimping-bloggers like to do...

Originally Posted by ctbarron (Post 20708912)

Yes, as mentioned well previously, all accounts will be closed, or rather I should say, I have yet to hear of a report where this has not happend after a 'Security Investigation'

Happy May 6, 2013 11:26 pm

Eligible Purchases definition

I think one important element that we all seem to overlook - buried in the T&Cs about earning reward must be from eligible purchases. It also spells out what are not considered eligible purchase, and Cash Advance is definitely one of those. I guess Cash Equivalent might also be mentioned.

While folks are taking the loophole of merchants coding, that cash equivalent is coded as purchase, but in the interpretation of law, this may not stand up if Citi claims such is Cash Equivalent, therefore should not earn points.

I doubt Citi would swiftly shut down TYP accounts and cards without first let its legal / compliance dept to go over things. That may explain why the early shut downs are not as swift when the legal team still studied the matter.

Those who suggest file complains with CPFB need to understand that who violates the T&Cs first. Or better yet, go to the UR award forum to read various threads about Chase shut down accounts - there are posters filed CPFB complaints and Chase still firmly refused to return the confiscated UR pts.