FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reasons-not-disclosed.html)

gloreglabert Mar 31, 2013 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 20513992)
Ikar,

Thanks for sharing.

The CS reps are talking to me, and being very friendly, just none of them are able to tell me why the accounts were closed because the security department left no notes, but, obviously what they say stays until they (or someone higher up) says otherwise. I've been promised a call from someone in the Presidential unit before Wednesday this week. I have no doubt this will be an uphill battle, that very likely can't be won -- but we'll see soon enough.

What are you planning to say? Are you going to come clean with what you were doing?

swintec Mar 31, 2013 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 20513992)
Ikar,
I have no doubt this will be an uphill battle, that very likely can't be won -- but we'll see soon enough.

What battle are you going to try and win exactly? Are you going to tell them what you were doing so they can drill things further down and possibly cause issues for the rest of us?

The less eyes you have on your activity the better.

You were playing the game and "lost". As much as it hurts and stings, the best thing that can be done is move on. I think the Citi black list would be the worst as who knows what sort of promos and cards they have coming down the pipe.

thehawk75 Mar 31, 2013 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by swintec (Post 20514369)
What battle are you going to try and win exactly? Are you going to tell them what you were doing so they can drill things further down and possibly cause issues for the rest of us?

The less eyes you have on your activity the better.

You were playing the game and "lost". As much as it hurts and stings, the best thing that can be done is move on. I think the Citi black list would be the worst as who knows what sort of promos and cards they have coming down the pipe.

Your post is nonsensical? What battles? Perhaps get my accounts opened? Perhaps find out 'why' my accounts were closed? You think it better to just say 'oh, accounts closed, I'll just move on?'

What am I going to 'lose' at this point? My accounts have been closed. I have a hunch it's a 'blacklist' at the moment. You think they'll just let me apply for all of my cards all over again if I just stay quiet and not talk to the presidential unit?

And if you think my talking to them will somehow mess it up for the rest of you ... uhm... puh-lease.

swintec Mar 31, 2013 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 20514792)
Your post is nonsensical? What battles? Perhaps get my accounts opened? Perhaps find out 'why' my accounts were closed? You think it better to just say 'oh, accounts closed, I'll just move on?'

And if you think my talking to them will somehow mess it up for the rest of you ... uhm... puh-lease.

I said battle because your other post said it would be an uphill / losing battle.

Yes, you bringing attention of the activities to further departments could very well cause further problems. the department that did it is more than likely just some security monkeys doing their job and may not necessarily care about the nature of the charges they see. the higher up the chain you go, not so much.

you lost the game this time. take your punishment. ;)

jcmitchell21 Apr 1, 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by swintec (Post 20515038)
I said battle because your other post said it would be an uphill / losing battle.

Yes, you bringing attention of the activities to further departments could very well cause further problems. the department that did it is more than likely just some security monkeys doing their job and may not necessarily care about the nature of the charges they see. the higher up the chain you go, not so much.

you lost the game this time. take your punishment. ;)

Quote is added to the list of advice people shouldn't take.

Asking why your credit card was shut down and seeing if it's possible to ever apply to Citi again is not something that could affect the rest of us.

He's not alerting Citi to anything they don't already know, as they have already shut his card down.

swintec Apr 1, 2013 9:35 am

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21 (Post 20516626)
Asking why your credit card was shut down and seeing if it's possible to ever apply to Citi again is not something that could affect the rest of us.

1) you honestly need to ask why it got shut down? Good lord.

2) Simply trying to apply for a Citi card in the near or long term will tell you if you are able to get another.

Neither of your points are a reason to call and get further departments and eyes on your account and activity.

lkar Apr 1, 2013 10:11 am

I dunno -- I'm not sure the "don't call" mantra really applies when your account has been shut down. If the worry is that thehawk75 will be damaging his relationship further with citi by calling, I think that's his call to make. And if he worries about reports to credit agencies, it's certainly fair game to try to get the thing reversed. If the concern is that it's fruitless and never going to get reversed, that seems likely -- again, though, seems like his call to make. If the concern is that by calling he's going to make it hard for others, I'm not sure I agree this is a substantial concern, but I understand the issue. It seems like a pretty extreme case.

Anyway, I don't think this is like calling to upgrade a mistake fare when the deal is still alive, or anything like that. Just my .02.

jcmitchell21 Apr 1, 2013 10:29 am

Originally Posted by swintec (Post 20516940)

2) Simply trying to apply for a Citi card in the near or long term will tell you if you are able to get another.

Neither of your points are a reason to call and get further departments and eyes on your account and activity.

His account is already shutdown, additional scrutiny is irrelevant. If my account was shutdown, Citi's president could look at as far as I'm concerned.

therivler1 Apr 1, 2013 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21 (Post 20517248)
His account is already shutdown, additional scrutiny is irrelevant. If my account was shutdown, Citi's president could look at as far as I'm concerned.

Not irrelevant. Extent of shutdown/blacklist is unknown.

Shutdowns happen. It's part of the risk. Take your lumps, move on, and try again in a few months for a different card.

jcmitchell21 Apr 2, 2013 7:18 am

Originally Posted by therivler1 (Post 20518275)

Shutdowns happen. It's part of the risk. Take your lumps, move on, and try again in a few months for a different card.

You can blindly take your lumps, I'll take a verified, albeit BS, reason and seek out due points.

thehawk75 Apr 2, 2013 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21 (Post 20517248)

Originally Posted by therivler1 (Post 20518275)

jmitchell21: ^

swintec, therivler1: ? ? :confused: ?? :o ?? wow!!!

You're on a FT Credit Card forum, and suggesting to use use a hard inquiry to basically test if I'm blacklisted or not?? ok...

There's no doubt I'm blacklisted. What do you mean by 'extent' ? Blacklisted generally means; good bye, f*ck off, don't ever come back. When there's nothing left to lose, why not actually go through the channels and talk to people who did this? High Tier customer service is still treating me like a valued customer (and equally confused), as is Citigold. If in the least I really would like to get this other department's BS reason as jmitchell suggested and then move along. But, perhaps in the conversation a potential better outcome (for me) can be arranged after a little politeness, maybe playing dumb... and well anything else. Why not try?

You seriously think as things are 'right now', that by not talking to them will result in my being able to apply for a new credit card with them in a few months/years ? This is seriously one of those times that you 'have' to talk to them. Why the confusion? As previously mentioned by another member, this is not some 'mistake fare and I'm calling to confirm if I can really get it' or something.

And for those of you interested in an actual update... nope... nothing from Citi yet. No letter that they apparently sent in the mail has arrived, nor a call from their Presidential Unit -- although they did say by Wednesday originally... so... another day to wait I guess.

therivler1 Apr 2, 2013 7:18 pm

last im gonna say on this. An issuer like Citi can be worth tons in the future more than what you lost here. I am extremely doubtful anything good will come of you harassing them.

if you are sure you are blacklisted, then why continue? Even after 5 years, there are some people that cannot get Citi cards b/c of a previous blacklist. Some can after 6 months, others 2 years. Which one are you in? Unknown. What puts one person into a longer category versus another? Unknown. Catch my drift yet?

try to have a bit longer of a time frame in mind. 1 hard inquiry is a pittance.

do whatever you feel comfortable with.

swintec Apr 2, 2013 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 20525838)
You're on a FT Credit Card forum,

You are right, forgot where I was.. I extended to high of expectations for the group here. Lots of things change over the years, I can see the typical user and mentality here has not. This has contributed to the downfall of many good deals and opportunities over time.

If you do not understand why you were shut down (despite typing your activity out just a page or so back) go re-read what you typed previously. Do you just need to hear it from someone answering the phone saying they are Citi bank to believe it or what?

jcmitchell21 Apr 3, 2013 8:56 am

Originally Posted by swintec (Post 20527243)
You are right, forgot where I was.. I extended to high of expectations for the group here. Lots of things change over the years, I can see the typical user and mentality here has not. This has contributed to the downfall of many good deals and opportunities over time.

If you do not understand why you were shut down (despite typing your activity out just a page or so back) go re-read what you typed previously. Do you just need to hear it from someone answering the phone saying they are Citi bank to believe it or what?

I'm just excited about swintec's sudden contribution level.

Henry II Apr 3, 2013 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by therivler1 (Post 20526194)
last im gonna say on this. An issuer like Citi can be worth tons in the future more than what you lost here. I am extremely doubtful anything good will come of you harassing them.

if you are sure you are blacklisted, then why continue? Even after 5 years, there are some people that cannot get Citi cards b/c of a previous blacklist. Some can after 6 months, others 2 years. Which one are you in? Unknown. What puts one person into a longer category versus another? Unknown. Catch my drift yet?

try to have a bit longer of a time frame in mind. 1 hard inquiry is a pittance.

do whatever you feel comfortable with.

It is highly unlikely to fight successfully for the Citi blacklist action. It will only worsen the individual situation (longer period of blacklist, etc.) and cause Citi to screen for more candidates for account closure/blacklist. This is according to past experience from people and some wisdom from experience. Therivler1 summed it well here. Just an input.