FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reasons-not-disclosed.html)

PointsforHolidayBoy May 27, 2013 10:11 pm

We can go back and forth on the legal aspects of this. I'm sure that's what will eventually happen to citi.

But for the purposes of the thread, I think people are voicing a similar theme that's not so technical.

We've entered into an agreement with Citi. And I think, most reasonable people will agree that those who have abused those perks by spending let's say $83K in the month shouldn't be allowed to keep abusing. Right?

Than there are those who are taking advantage. And that's less questionable.

But all in all, Citi is wiping away Thank You accounts and blacklisting clients. I think most of us will agree that both actions is just inherently unfair. I've been a loyal client of Citibank for 12 years now.

I've had years without a late payment. I've had a few late payments while I've been on holiday, an average of once a year the last two years. Citi reversed these by the way. I think Citi has definitely made money off of me, if not off interest, off the 3% merchant fee it charges.

Now, I'm afraid. My Aadvantage account has a $20K credit line. If it's wiped out, then my credit will be affected as it'll affect the credit utilization rate. I have a card I applied for. I thought I could use it to purchase a $15 starbucks card at a drug store. I drink starbucks often and would like to save money. But now, I don't know. I don't know what I can do without me being accused of practicing black magic.

And that, I think we can agree is truly unconscionable with Citi's action. I just think we need to voice those concerns to citi, as they also know that incredible damage A&F faced with it's last online petition. It sort of equalizes the power balance, I think.

Marathon Man May 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by PointsforHolidayBoy (Post 20821355)
We can go back and forth on the legal aspects of this. I'm sure that's what will eventually happen to citi.

But for the purposes of the thread, I think people are voicing a similar theme that's not so technical.

We've entered into an agreement with Citi. And I think, most reasonable people will agree that those who have abused those perks by spending let's say $83K in the month shouldn't be allowed to keep abusing. Right?

Than there are those who are taking advantage. And that's less questionable.

how do we know a person who spends $83 has abused anything?
who comes up with the line where one ammt is ok and other is "too much" You? Is it based on someone's notion of what is 'normal or usual?'

Maybe citi does... but like I said I would think that a judge would help decide who is right or not.

As for being afraid about all things Citi... I have been a gold customer for 7 years. I have an equity line with them and never had a late payment with any card or account. My wife has Citi and I would not like to lose it, but hey, I have to go full on into this should they try to take these points and shut me down, for in my own heart, I know they are wrong. If I dont fight it and put everything on the table, I have only myself to blame. Maybe I do just for getting this 5x card and actually buying things in stores on it like I am allowed to do anyway. But then, had citi done a better job on their part, maybe none of us ever would have to begin with. Again, they offered the card to us and we took it. Not the other way around.

silver6054 May 28, 2013 6:20 am

MM: did your statement post yet?

Marathon Man May 28, 2013 6:39 am

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 20822652)
MM: did your statement post yet?

Everything still open as of now. My statement cut sometime betwixt midnight when I went to bed and 7am when I woke up. It shows all points on the statement PDF. But these wont move to TYP until tomorrow, according to all persons who have told me about their own history and how it works. At that time I will redeem. Oooooh! the suspense! They still have time to find and nab me!

kaiotes May 28, 2013 9:34 am

I reached out to the SD office again. after the run around, i get a response of you will get a letter in the mail on the reason. we have closed your account, you will not get your pts back.

after much pressing, she said you can file a formal complaint to the office of the president in writing.. (the same place where i verbally complained)...

I opted for a fax number than a mailing address
877-762-2990

I don't think writing in will do much...
I'm waiting on cfpb and AGO to see if they will be of help.

CVG_Kid May 28, 2013 9:53 am

Originally Posted by cITistolemyTYP (Post 20823586)
I don't think writing in will do much...
I'm waiting on cfpb and AGO to see if they will be of help.

Thanks for your data point. May I also suggest you file an OCC complaint after receiving your letter from Citi. I would specifically site an ECOA Reg B violation regarding specific notification if it's a one liner like Hawk75's. That represents a $10,000. fine to Citi per occurrence. I'm not a lawyer but it appears to me their notification is insufficient.

The OCC also overseas the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti Money Laundering both of which may not be used to violate ECOA Reg B. BSA/AML used to target a particular product or marketing promotion also seems suspicious to me.

Please report back your results and thanks again for the data point.

Alcibiades May 28, 2013 10:08 am

OCC complaints concerning credit cards are now transferred to the CFPB

iahphx May 28, 2013 10:46 am

All my Citicards were shut down this weekend as well (I found out while on vacation trying to buy gas). At first I thought it might be a fraud alert, but then when the rep couldn't tell me the reason for the closure, I knew what happened. And then I came to see all the new shutdowns reported here.

Since getting the Preferred card earlier this year, I've probably averaged 15K in monthly spending; some for your typical gas and groceries and other routine purchases, and more at drugstores. I'd only spent a few thousand on my current cycle after seeing all the reports here, although I did drain my TY account in the past 2 weeks of almost $1000 in TY points with flights and gift cards. Not sure if that had anything to do with the shutdown, but I obviously wasn't going to leave the points there.

I'm not really sure what to do here. I'm pretty sure Citi won't just start listening to our complaints. I'm not sure if the Feds will. I actually don't mind very much that Citi shut down my Preferred card. I mean, that's a lousy thing to do, but it's within the realm. I don't think they have the right to confiscate my remaining TY points (under 30,000 worth), and I don't think it's right for them to shut down all my other Citi credit cards. That might hurt my overall credit rating, and do material harm to me.

It would be helpful if everyone keeps updating us on their situations, and what government responses they've received.

bdumb May 28, 2013 2:03 pm

New promo?

I applied, got approved and received the Citi 5x Preferred card through the link posted on the Frequent Miler's site awhile back...everything has been going smoothly, 5x on $5-6,000/month, successful point reduction via GCs. Today I received a promo letter detailing 2x TYP on dining, entertaining and 1x on everything else effective late July...this is after receiving another promo about a month back giving 5x on 5 different categories with a ceiling of 2500 TYP and expiring end of June. I'm not really sure what to make of these changes nor why I've chosen to share this in my inaugural post.

dw May 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by bdumb (Post 20825356)
Today I received a promo letter detailing 2x TYP on dining, entertaining and 1x on everything else effective late July...

Word is this will be the new earning structure for TY Preferred cards as of late July, so it's not a promo.

bdumb May 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 20825439)
Word is this will be the new earning structure for TY Preferred cards as of late July, so it's not a promo.

Thanks for your response! I'm curious if this 2x TYP earn rate replaces what I thought was a 1 year 5x rate on drug, gas and grocery?

Marathon Man May 28, 2013 2:36 pm

got an email from citi this afternoon saying the statement cut. So i had seen its results but now that the email came, so then did the points!

I instantly went on the site and redeemed them all (was short just by a hair for the flights I wanted for our family and so the system let me pay another $20) and I booked 4 people to GCM for next April vaca! Woo hoo!

now it's time to get er ramped up and loaded for next month. If I get shut down, at least THIS trip is already confirmed in full with the airline. I also CALLED the airline to get ITS record locator, which is different from the citi TY one.

So far so good. but the thing still has holes in my opinion and if it craps out for me in the future I'll still vigorously go after my points with Citi!

:)MM

silver6054 May 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Great, how many points did you get on the TYP?

stupidzbu May 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 20825541)
got an email from citi this afternoon saying the statement cut. So i had seen its results but now that the email came, so then did the points!

I instantly went on the site and redeemed them all (was short just by a hair for the flights I wanted for our family and so the system let me pay another $20) and I booked 4 people to GCM for next April vaca! Woo hoo!

now it's time to get er ramped up and loaded for next month. If I get shut down, at least THIS trip is already confirmed in full with the airline. I also CALLED the airline to get ITS record locator, which is different from the citi TY one.

So far so good. but the thing still has holes in my opinion and if it craps out for me in the future I'll still vigorously go after my points with Citi!

:)MM

are you sure they can't cancel this like the stop payment on the checks?

silver6054 May 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu (Post 20825848)
are you sure they can't cancel this like the stop payment on the checks?

The belief is that once it goes to a third party (airlines, giftcards) it is harder for Citi to undo, whereas putting a stop payment on a check they issued is easier.

Also, given the craziness of the process, it might be that MM isn't in their sights at all. Yet, at any rate.