Search

Problems with Citi Application

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Problems with Citi Application

Hi Y'all,

I'm new to this forum.

I already have an AAdvantage Mastercard (10 years) now. I tried to apply for an AAdvantage Visa and AmEx.

Problem 1:

I was rejected for both because it said that my credit report showed that I had an AAdvantage Credit Card already.

Problem 2:

So, I applied for the Thank You Citi Card and then they said we won't even review the application because you've applied for two cards already.

Is there anything I can do to get around these two problems?

PC
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:15 pm

Welcome to FT.
1. If your AA Mastercard is not the oldest card, you might want to cancel it and then apply in a few months.
2. Wait for a few months and apply again.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Nelumbo,

It might not still work though, right? Because doesn't my credit history still show that I had the card. I think they use Experian.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
Welcome to FT.
1. If your AA Mastercard is not the oldest card, you might want to cancel it and then apply in a few months.
That is awful advice and will do nothing but hurt your credit score.

If you want the new AA card that has AC access, call Citicards and ask them to transfer your account to the new card.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:37 pm

Welcome to FT Bluehazard!

1. There is no set formula for the Citi MC -> Visa -> Amex. I would have considered asking if you could move your Credit Line around to open up at least one of the cards.

Did you try calling the reconsideration line?

2.How long did you wait to apply for this CC after the Citi AA cards?

If it wasn't more than 65 days that would have been a problem as well.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi Travel Abstract, no I didn't wait 65 days. Though, I am waiting now. In the meantime, I applied for the Chase business card.

But moving the credit line wasn't the main reason I didn't get the card; the reason was that customer already has had an AA Citicard. There must be some way around this.

Any ideas? I can call for a reconsideration I suppose. But I think they're trying to stamp out travel hackers.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bluehazard
Hi Travel Abstract, no I didn't wait 65 days. Though, I am waiting now. In the meantime, I applied for the Chase business card.

But moving the credit line wasn't the main reason I didn't get the card; the reason was that customer already has had an AA Citicard. There must be some way around this.

Any ideas? I can call for a reconsideration I suppose. But I think they're trying to stamp out travel hackers.
did you get approved for CHASE BIZ card? which one? INK BOLD?
Real biz you have or just the ebay and sole propreitor story?

thanks
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by nitrobass24
That is awful advice and will do nothing but hurt your credit score.

If you want the new AA card that has AC access, call Citicards and ask them to transfer your account to the new card.
Would this transfer come with the signup bonus for the new card?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just applied for both the Citi Visa and Amex cards. I have had both before. I was approved instantly. Cancellations were all about a year ago, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I only hope they don't pull some crap like denying the bonus in a couple of months because I'm a previous card holder. However, this is my third or fourth go around with these cards. and I've always gotten the bonus miles in the past, so I'm optimistic.

By the way, I was given quite large credit limits (>$15K) on each card, so can I assume from that I have a decent credit score?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
Would this transfer come with the signup bonus for the new card?
Probably not, but it doesnt hurt to ask.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigLar
I just applied for both the Citi Visa and Amex cards. I have had both before. I was approved instantly. Cancellations were all about a year ago, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I only hope they don't pull some crap like denying the bonus in a couple of months because I'm a previous card holder. However, this is my third or fourth go around with these cards. and I've always gotten the bonus miles in the past, so I'm optimistic.

By the way, I was given quite large credit limits (>$15K) on each card, so can I assume from that I have a decent credit score?
I think the difference between you and me, is that my oldest card is the AAdvantage Mastercard for 11 years. I only pay $50 annual fee on it, and I call every year for them to waive it.

I really want this Thank You Premier. Maybe, I should transfer my creditline onto Thank You Premier and then cancel my Aadvantage.

What do you think?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:33 am

Not the OP, but a related question. My dad has a citi aa business card from years ago. Will that impact his ability to get the personal cards?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dagaetch
Not the OP, but a related question. My dad has a citi aa business card from years ago. Will that impact his ability to get the personal cards?
From just that information, probably not.

Even if he has some other Citi cards (he might not even be aware of it), if he's got a decent credit score it should be no problem. Citi wants customers, and if it costs them a few miles to get them, that's OK with them. I don't think they go out of their way to find reasons to reject people.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, but what about me. I have awesome credit and they rejected me for having an Aadvantage card.

Can anyone else confirm they recently got an Aadvantage card even after having one on their credit score history?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:50 pm

Citi application declined, worth reconsideration?

So my girlfriend just applied for the TYP Visa and was denied. She did not do the two browser trick because she does not want four cards at the same time. She has a credit score of 819. The reasons were too few accounts currently paid as agreed and too many accounts with balances. She has three active accounts. One revolving account had a balance of 200 dollars and the other 500 dollars. She already paid them off in full and always does. She has an auto loan with less than 1000 left on the balance. She earns 34k per year and has rent of 700. Her average revolving credit history is 4 years right now.

My question is should she write a reconsideration letter or should she attempt to have the application reapplied to the MC version of the card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.