FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   [Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1266831-expired-citi-premier-50-000-ty-bonus-pts-500-worth-fee-free-first-year.html)

factory81 Oct 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Is this card classified as amex, visa, mastercard, or discover?

I just want to know for bill paying purposes

Happy Oct 10, 2011 10:11 pm

World Mastercard.

The Application has the card's picture and you can read up the card right on Citi website.

Happy Oct 10, 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 17248373)
Happy,

That's interesting. I have redeemed two tickets in 2007 and 2009 and have never noticed any points expired/expiring. I had no activities on the PP elite cards since 2009. Thankyou points website only let me see activities for the last 12 months and I only have monthly Citigold points. How do I see the flight points as well as expiration date? I only see points expiring in 90 days as zero in the summary.

Thank you.

Tickets redeemed using TYPs dont earn flight points I am sure you know about this. Only the tickets charged on PPE card would earn your flight points. Citi now has a $50 threshold for flights to earn flight points - i.e. a Southwest ticket costs $49.99 would earn 0 flight points for example. Talk about tickets redeemed in 2007 and 2009, especially 2007... Still have almost $4000 worth of combined airline credits from the canceled tickets not used up yet... (but they are giving me headache when it comes to renew their "lives...) And of course the tickets bought with those vouchers earn miles. :)

Flight points do NOT show up on TYN because they are not TYPs. They are on your statement and that is the ONLY place you would see them.

Click that 90 days tab, then it will let you see the expiration dates of ALL points from ALL TYP cards. If you haven't used your PPE since 2009, you probably should use it a little bit so Citi could not eventually canceled your card for Inactivity - this could cause trouble down the road because there has at lease one reported case that a card being closed for Inactivity is coded WRONG in Citi's system as being closed by the bank (with adverse action). Either you put some charge on it so it is not inactive for extended time, or closes the card yourself since you dont use it any more.

booyaa Oct 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 17253202)
World Mastercard.

The Application has the card's picture and you can read up the card right on Citi website.

Actually, you can pick between Mastercard or Visa when filling out application.

Minimum credit line for World Mastercard is $2000, $5000 for Visa Signature.

booyaa Oct 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 17253219)
Tickets redeemed using TYPs dont earn flight points I am sure you know about this. Only the tickets charged on PPE card would earn your flight points. Citi now has a $50 threshold for flights to earn flight points - i.e. a Southwest ticket costs $49.99 would earn 0 flight points for example. Talk about tickets redeemed in 2007 and 2009, especially 2007... Still have almost $4000 worth of combined airline credits from the canceled tickets not used up yet... (but they are giving me headache when it comes to renew their "lives...) And of course the tickets bought with those vouchers earn miles. :)

Flight points do NOT show up on TYN because they are not TYPs. They are on your statement and that is the ONLY place you would see them.

Click that 90 days tab, then it will let you see the expiration dates of ALL points from ALL TYP cards. If you haven't used your PPE since 2009, you probably should use it a little bit so Citi could not eventually canceled your card for Inactivity - this could cause trouble down the road because there has at lease one reported case that a card being closed for Inactivity is coded WRONG in Citi's system as being closed by the bank (with adverse action). Either you put some charge on it so it is not inactive for extended time, or closes the card yourself since you dont use it any more.

http://new.citi.com/2011/09/citi-car...listened.shtml

They recently introduced "new Citi ThankYouŽ Cards, which offer unlimited points that never expire." Now I wonder what happens with my OLD Citi (Forward) card that earns ThankYou Points, points that are merged with the TYPs from my NEW ThankYou Premier card.

Happy Oct 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17253271)

Dont know about that. In the past this is a World Mastercard without Visa option.

I would pick World Mastercard given most Chase cards are Visa Signature.

One needs to have both Mastercard and Visa because hotel promotions often are linked to either Mastercard or Visa, so you want to have both so you can take advantage.

I also find out our county's Driver License renewal does not take Visa but take MC (with 3% convenience fee though).

factory81 Oct 10, 2011 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17253271)

Dang, if I knew that I would have selected Mastercard. I got the 30 day message with the Visa. I figure with a smaller credit requirement they make consider offering me the card. I am doubtful I will be approved for this. Although I have the 2 citi AA cards and have already spent more then $6500 on them (and they are both paid in full). I hope they approve me based on the quarter of a year worth of history I have with them.

Anyone know the chase recon line?

booyaa Oct 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by factory81 (Post 17253327)
Dang, if I knew that I would have selected Mastercard. I got the 30 day message with the Visa. I figure with a smaller credit requirement they make consider offering me the card. I am doubtful I will be approved for this. Although I have the 2 citi AA cards and have already spent more then $6500 on them (and they are both paid in full). I hope they approve me based on the quarter of a year worth of history I have with them.

Anyone know the chase recon line?

You meant Citi? Citi is 1-888-201-4523. If you created a new online account user id in Step 4 of the application process, you can also keep trying to log into that. If it gives error, then either denied or still pending. If it asks for 3-digit secure code, then approved. Saves from calling.

Mine took about a week before they gave me approval decision.

fiveninerzero Oct 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Do they pull Experian too? I have 8 INQ in the last 2 years on EX, with 0 on the other 2. I am starting to wonder what the point of having 3 credit bureaus is if anyone is only going to pull Experian.

booyaa Oct 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by fiveninerzero (Post 17253510)
Do they pull Experian too? I have 8 INQ in the last 2 years on EX, with 0 on the other 2. I am starting to wonder what the point of having 3 credit bureaus is if anyone is only going to pull Experian.

Depends on where you are (or your address rather) geographically. Upstate NY, Citi pulls Equifax but is the only bank that does so. So my Experian and Transunion are hit pretty heavily by AMEX and Chase right now.

Happy Oct 10, 2011 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17253299)
http://new.citi.com/2011/09/citi-car...listened.shtml

They recently introduced "new Citi ThankYouŽ Cards, which offer unlimited points that never expire." Now I wonder what happens with my OLD Citi (Forward) card that earns ThankYou Points, points that are merged with the TYPs from my NEW ThankYou Premier card.

The conversion was done in March. TYPs earned prior to conversion remain carrying expiration date, even the cards have been converted to the NEW version.

You can see the details of your TYPs at your account - click the points expire in 90 days tab even it says 0. It will then open up a screen which shows ALL the TYPs you have from different cards - then you can see if your TYPs from Forward card have expiration date or not. My guess is, your TYPs from Forward card remain having expiration date.

booyaa Oct 11, 2011 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 17253580)
The conversion was done in March. TYPs earned prior to conversion remain carrying expiration date, even the cards have been converted to the NEW version.

You can see the details of your TYPs at your account - click the points expire in 90 days tab even it says 0. It will then open up a screen which shows ALL the TYPs you have from different cards - then you can see if your TYPs from Forward card have expiration date or not. My guess is, your TYPs from Forward card remain having expiration date.

HAH! Thanks, Happy. I did go to that page earlier after reading your previous post up there but didn't see any expiring points. I just went to that page again and realized I didn't click on SHOW ALL. My soonest expiration date for Forward is 12/31/2014. Hah...not worried. Got this card in 11/2009

Happy Oct 11, 2011 10:04 am

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17253655)
HAH! Thanks, Happy. I did go to that page earlier after reading your previous post up there but didn't see any expiring points. I just went to that page again and realized I didn't click on SHOW ALL. My soonest expiration date for Forward is 12/31/2014. Hah...not worried. Got this card in 11/2009

Each new earning posted to your Forward card should extend the expiration. Dont know how long though because it seems each type of cards has different length. PPE was the shortest at only 18 months. Other non-travel related cards have 2 to 3 years or even longer.

booyaa Oct 11, 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 17255609)
Each new earning posted to your Forward card should extend the expiration. Dont know how long though because it seems each type of cards has different length. PPE was the shortest at only 18 months. Other non-travel related cards have 2 to 3 years or even longer.

Oh? My Forward card had like 20 or 30 expiration dates. They werent sorted by date so I didn't bother to see if they were a certain period after each statement date.

Happy Oct 11, 2011 11:18 am

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17255972)
Oh? My Forward card had like 20 or 30 expiration dates. They werent sorted by date so I didn't bother to see if they were a certain period after each statement date.

In this case your Forward card does not work the same way as PPE card then.

It seems to work like other Citi general cards that the dates are based on the dates when the points are earned.

Say if the period is 3 years from 11/2009 - points earned on 11/2009 would have different dates than points earned on 04/2010 or 07/2011 for example.

They dont work like airline programs that any activity extends the expiration. They are FIXED period from the dates the points are earned.

Also when you redeem points, the usage is a FIFO system - the points earned the earliest are used first for redemption - regardless from which card the points are from.