FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   [Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1266831-expired-citi-premier-50-000-ty-bonus-pts-500-worth-fee-free-first-year.html)

superking Oct 28, 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by glu800 (Post 17351680)
I dunno if this was already discussed somewhere in the thread, but actually UR points are worth only $0.0125 per point when redeeming airline tickets through the UR Travel Tool, while TYPs are worth $0.0133 per point when redeeming through the TY Travel Center. Not a huge difference, but it's a 25% bonus versus a 33% bonus.

I was just approved for the TY Premier card yesterday! Hopefully the TY Travel Center flights match Kayak and the UR Travel Tool... looking to book some obscure domestic Laos flights worth about $400 :D

UR points are transferable to many airline miles, make it much more valuable than the 33% bonus if you use it to book flights during peak seasons.

For example, ticket from US to Asia on Continental is 65,000 miles in the summer and the cost would be $1700 + $100 in taxes, so effectively it's 2.5 cent per mile...

glu800 Oct 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by superking (Post 17351840)
UR points are transferable to many airline miles, make it much more valuable than the 33% bonus if you use it to book flights during peak seasons.

For example, ticket from US to Asia on Continental is 65,000 miles in the summer and the cost would be $1700 + $100 in taxes, so effectively it's 2.5 cent per mile...

Yes, I know. But there are lots of cases where UA/CO, BA, or KE miles are useless because many airlines that fly to obscure places aren't part of any alliance... hence my need to book them using TY points or UR points. For example, I need 3 domestic tickets on Lao Airlines next spring.

Personally, I would definitely save my UR points so I can transfer them to UA/CO when needed. But for someone debating whether to redeem TYP or UR points directly for airfare, I'm just saying TYP gives a slightly better redemption rate.

andysiz Oct 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by glu800 (Post 17351680)
I dunno if this was already discussed somewhere in the thread, but actually UR points are worth only $0.0125 per point when redeeming airline tickets through the UR Travel Tool, while TYPs are worth $0.0133 per point when redeeming through the TY Travel Center. Not a huge difference, but it's a 25% bonus versus a 33% bonus.

I was just approved for the TY Premier card yesterday! Hopefully the TY Travel Center flights match Kayak and the UR Travel Tool... looking to book some obscure domestic Laos flights worth about $400 :D

But don't forget the valuable bonuses on UR cards (5x bonus for Freedom; 2x bonus on SP on dining/travel; the % and 10-point bonus for linking Freedom with Chase checking account, 7% dividend year-end bonus on SP; UR Mall).

glu800 Oct 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by andysiz (Post 17352011)
But don't forget the valuable bonuses on UR cards (5x bonus for Freedom; 2x bonus on SP on dining/travel; the % and 10-point bonus for linking Freedom with Chase checking account, 7% dividend year-end bonus on SP; UR Mall).

That's true. On the whole, I would agree that the Sapphire Preferred card is more rewarding than the TY Premier card. A lot more benefits and opportunities to earn bonus points! But for those who can, just apply for both of them! :D

mia Oct 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by andysiz (Post 17352011)

Weigh these against Citi Premier's bonus at supermarkets, pharmacies, and gasoline stations plus the Flight Points feature which allows you to earn double on all spending.

Brewmaster Oct 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Does anyone know if the points can also be redeemed for hotels and rental cars? If so, do you also get the 33% bonus like you do with airfare? I was thinking that this card, if it covers travel expenses other than airfare, could be a nice supplement when you don't have enough miles/points for hotels, rental cars, etc.

glu800 Oct 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Brewmaster (Post 17352915)
Does anyone know if the points can also be redeemed for hotels and rental cars? If so, do you also get the 33% bonus like you do with airfare? I was thinking that this card, if it covers travel expenses other than airfare, could be a nice supplement when you don't have enough miles/points for hotels, rental cars, etc.

Not 100% sure, but according to the terms:

"Get 33% more value for your ThankYou Points when you redeem for airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center. Enjoy this benefit on any airline with no blackout dates"

Looks to me like airfare only. I have not set up my TY Rewards account yet though so I can't test it out. Maybe someone who has access now can comment.

astrogator Oct 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Any idea when this offer will expire?

Compfreak Oct 29, 2011 3:09 am

I don't think they're offering instant approvals for this card, at least not online. :(

echip Oct 30, 2011 3:12 pm

From what I've read, Citi treats transactions from financial firms as cash advance.
I am just wondering does Citi charges cash advance for Amazon Payments transactions even if you select "goods and services". Anyone know?

glu800 Oct 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by echip (Post 17361803)
From what I've read, Citi treats transactions from financial firms as cash advance.
I am just wondering does Citi charges cash advance for Amazon Payments transactions even if you select "goods and services". Anyone know?

No they don't, at least not for the Citi AA cards. If you select goods and services you should be fine.

mikey110890 Oct 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by bk3day (Post 17326539)
FYI, I too was approved (in late August 2011) under the Citi Premier offer that required the $125 annual fee and have already been charged that fee & met my min spend.

Last week, I sent a secure message to Citi asking that the $125 annual fee be refunded based upon the new offer & my history as a Citi customer.

Just got Citi's reply that the $125 fee will be credited back to my account. ^:)

Thanks for sharing this. I got off my ... and I also got the $125 annual fee credited from my August start date with this card.

nicad2000 Oct 31, 2011 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Compfreak (Post 17355087)
I don't think they're offering instant approvals for this card, at least not online. :(

Actually, mine was approved instantly. Albiet with a relatively low limit.

jjmiller69 Oct 31, 2011 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Compfreak (Post 17355087)

I got a E-mail 2 or 3 days later with approval and credit limit. Some say it's taken 1 week to 1 month for the E-mail. Good luck :)

playlife Oct 31, 2011 5:28 pm

I applied to for both the visa and mastercard version of the card. Both got approved and when i activated it, the csr said the 50k offer is attached to each card. 100k TY points!!