FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   [Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1266831-expired-citi-premier-50-000-ty-bonus-pts-500-worth-fee-free-first-year.html)

jonny1 Oct 7, 2011 8:51 am

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...-premier-card/

Get started with 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you make $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months - redeemable for great rewards, including $500 in gift cards or $665 in airfare when you redeem through the ThankYou Travel Center

Enjoy no foreign transaction fee on purchases when you use your Citi ThankYou Premier Card

Annual Fee: $125.00 However, this fee is waived for the first 12 months.

Detail:
Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you make $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months - redeemable for great rewards, including $500 in gift cards or $665 in airfare when you redeem through the ThankYou Travel Center.3

1 ThankYou Point for every $1 you spend on purchases. Plus, earn 1.2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent - that's 20% more points - when you use your card at supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores, commuter transportation and parking merchants.2

Earn points for the miles you fly when you purchase a ticket with your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.2

No foreign transaction fee on purchases, as long as you use your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.1

Receive an annual complimentary domestic companion ticket (within the continental USA) and a 15% discount when booking air travel through our travel benefits provider, Spirit Incentives.3

Get 33% more value for your ThankYou Points when you redeem for airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center. For example: 50,000 points can be redeemed for $665 in airfare, which would typically require 66,500 points. Enjoy this benefit on any airline with no blackout dates.

Earn an anniversary bonus on points earned from purchases every year.2 The longer you are a cardmember, the bigger the bonus will be - up to 5% after you are a cardmember for 4 years or more.

Earn bonus points when you sign up for Paperless Statements and Account Online.3

With no points cap and no expiration of points, there’s no limit to the points you can earn.

Redeem ThankYou Points for almost anything, from a large selection of gift cards including dining, entertainment and retail - to valuable rewards such as electronics, travel rewards, home goods, books, charitable donations or even cash.

Enjoy two simple ways to redeem your points for the rewards you want. You can either visit thankyou.com where your rewards are just a few clicks away, or you can redeem points by calling
1-800-THANKYOU (1-800-842-6596).

Igor718 Oct 7, 2011 8:55 am

what airlines do these transfer to???

mia Oct 7, 2011 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Igor718 (Post 17235536)
what airlines do these transfer to???

None. ThankYou Points can be used to purchase airfare through the booking engine on thankyou.com, in which case they are worth $0.0133 each. Otherwise, they can redeemed for giftcards and are worth $0.01 each or less.

ThankYou Rewards is more complicated than most card programs, and Citi tinkers with it periodically. If you invest the time to fully understand and use the Flight Points feature you can earn > 2.66% with this card, but if you are looking for instant gratification this probably isn't the card for you byond the initial bonus which is actually worth $665 (not $500).

Extensive discussion is in the Credit Card Programs section of Flyertalk.

jonny1 Oct 7, 2011 9:11 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17235576)
None. ThankYou Points can be used to purchase airfare through the booking engine on thankyou.com, in which case they are worth $0.0133 each. Otherwise, they can redeemed for giftcards and are worth $0.01 each or less.

ThankYou Rewards is more complicated than most card programs, and Citi tinkers with it periodically. If you invest the time to fully understand and use the Flight Points feature you can earn > 2.66% with this card, but if you are looking for instant gratification this probably isn't the card for you byond the initial bonus which is actually worth $665 (not $500).

Extensive discussion is in the Credit Card Programs section of Flyertalk.

I guess i can't get this awesome offer becos i recently got approved and have the citi aadvantange amex and citi aadvantage visa?
points from this card is totally different from the miles earned from citi aadvantage cards right? i can't combined the citi points and miles to use once for international trip?

Igor718 Oct 7, 2011 9:14 am

MIA ... thanks for clarifying.
not worth it for me.

mia Oct 7, 2011 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17235618)
i can't combined the citi points and miles to use once for international trip?

The AA cards AAdvantage miles which are redeemed through American Airlines. The Premier card earn ThankYou Points which are redeemed through Citi. There is no way to combine or exchange between these two rewards programs.

In principle you could purchase an economy class ticket using ThankYou Points, and then use AAdvantage miles to upgrade to business class (but you need to verify availability for the upgrade award, and understand the co-payment required) -or- you could use miles to purchase one ticket and the points to purchase another ticket.

jonny1 Oct 7, 2011 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17235761)
The AA cards AAdvantage miles which are redeemed through American Airlines. The Premier card earn ThankYou Points which are redeemed through Citi. There is no way to combine or exchange between these two rewards programs.

In principle you could purchase an economy class ticket using ThankYou Points, and then use AAdvantage miles to upgrade to business class (but you need to verify availability for the upgrade award, and understand the co-payment required) -or- you could use miles to purchase one ticket and the points to purchase another ticket.

thanks, can i book international trip to asia, INDIA from the 50k thank you points and than pay the balance with card?

thank you points and chase sapphire prefered card points are about the same?

MilesTalk Oct 7, 2011 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17235824)
thanks, can i book international trip to asia, INDIA from the 50k thank you points and than pay the balance with card?

You would be able to pay $665 worth of your ticket with the 50,000 points and the rest would have to be paid in cash.

jcmitchell21 Oct 7, 2011 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17235618)
I guess i can't get this awesome offer becos i recently got approved and have the citi aadvantange amex and citi aadvantage visa? Why not? the only reason is the 60 day 2 app rule.
points from this card is totally different from the miles earned from citi aadvantage cards right? i can't combined the citi points and miles to use once for international trip? Someone correct me if I am incorrect in thinking. Could you use these points to pay for the high tax/fees of an award booking?

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17235824)
thanks, can i book international trip to asia, INDIA from the 50k thank you points and than pay the balance with card? The card can pay for anything you want to use it. The points on the other hand ...

thank you points and chase sapphire prefered card points are about the same? basically, except they don't transfer. but these kind of points can be great if you need to take a mileage run for status. your flight is paid for by points and you earn elite miles.

factory81 Oct 7, 2011 1:20 pm

I think this offer is okay. The 2.5k spend and $125 annual fee is kind of meh, but $665 worth of airfare isn't a bad deal. What if I spend $400 and have $265 remaining and need to pay for the remainder of a ticket with cash, can you redeem 265 + personal out of pocket cash?

mnscout Oct 7, 2011 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by factory81 (Post 17236940)
I think this offer is okay. The 2.5k spend and $125 annual fee is kind of meh, but $665 worth of airfare isn't a bad deal. What if I spend $400 and have $265 remaining and need to pay for the remainder of a ticket with cash, can you redeem 265 + personal out of pocket cash?

Considering the annual fee is waived for the first year it's $125 better than just OK. Too bad I got on a CC enrollment spree just a week ago. Won't probably get approved with all the recent inquiries.

LAX_Esq Oct 7, 2011 2:01 pm

Anyone who got this last time around try to churn it?

eknock007 Oct 7, 2011 2:31 pm

I got a 30-day message. I guess I am a no go. Had some trips planned through Memorial Day weekend and would have liked to paid the airfare with this card.

beltway Oct 7, 2011 2:56 pm

One additional benefit that I don't recall seeing mentioned: the TYP redemption options for gift cards are better -- both in number and value per point -- than for "vanilla" Citi TYP-earning cards such as CitiForward. Discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...giftcards.html

Happy Oct 7, 2011 7:51 pm

For those who are considering this card, they should take some time to understand how the reward system works, especially the "flight points" earned when you use the card to purchase an airline ticket. You earn flight points at 1 flown mile = to 1 flight point when you use the card to purchase the ticket. So if you buy a Transcon ticket with a flown miles of 5,000, using this card, you earn 5,000 flight points.

Flight points by themselves are useless. However they will turn into Thank You point when they are matched at 1 to 1 ratio with the "Purchase Points", i.e. the points earned via spending. In the past, the sign up bonus is eligible to match the flight point. Dont know if it is still the case or not. If it is still the case, that you have another potential 50K worth when you buy tickets using this card.

The points can ONLY be used at Thank You Network - Citi's TYP award redemption site. By default, you cannot use the TYPs to pay for taxes or anything, on the award ticket redeemed from AA or any airline - TYP has NOTHING to do with any airline. It is a Citi In-House reward program.

With this card, you can redeem the TYPs for Gift Cards at 1 penny per point value, such as $50 would be 5000 pts.

However, the biggest value of the TYP is to redeem for airline tickets when you hold this card, if the full airfare is paid by TYPs, you get a 25% discount. i.e. if the ticket costs $400, it only costs you 30,000 TYPs to redeem. Flights must be booked from TYN site which offers most flights you can find directly from airlines own sites. In my experiences, 100% match. The 25% discount only available when the FULL airfare is paid by TYPs. If you use Point + Cash, you lose the 25% discount.

The tickets redeemed with TYPs are revenue tickets and they earn miles. (they dont earn flight points, even if you use Point + Cash).

This card also has 0% forex fee.

It is a good card for those who fly a lot because of the "flight point" feature.

Some of us have this card (the previous version) since 2006 when it was first introduced. Even after 2 major devaluations, it is still a "keep" card. :)

jonny1 Oct 7, 2011 9:02 pm

what's the difference between this and chase sapphire prefered ?

sapphire one has bit higher spending requirement but in terms of rewards it is same, 50k miles worth $500 in store giftcards or $625 airline ticket.
both are airline miles. which one is little better? thanks

jasonz9238 Oct 7, 2011 9:18 pm

Would I get the signup bonus for this card if I already have the regular version of the thankYou card, not the Premier version.

Happy Oct 7, 2011 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17238732)

sapphire one has bit higher spending requirement but in terms of rewards it is same, 50k miles worth $500 in store giftcards or $625 airline ticket.

2 different banks. 2 different programs with completely different rules and structure on award redemption.

Details can be found on Chase web site for Sapphire Preferred - assumed you mean the Preferred version as Sapphire alone is yet again another program.

Details can be found on Citi web site for Premier Card.

Neither is airline miles.

Which is better all depends on how you want to use it. Sapphire Preferred's Ultimate Reward program has more flexibility outside gift card or airline tickets.

jonny1 Oct 7, 2011 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 17238829)
2 different banks. 2 different programs with completely different rules and structure on award redemption.

Details can be found on Chase web site for Sapphire Preferred - assumed you mean the Preferred version as Sapphire alone is yet again another program.

Details can be found on Citi web site for Premier Card.

Neither is airline miles.

Which is better all depends on how you want to use it. Sapphire Preferred's Ultimate Reward program has more flexibility outside gift card or airline tickets.

all the talk about 50k or 20k bonus miles are not reward mainly for airline ticket purchase?
what else is MILES than?

thank you!

Happy Oct 7, 2011 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17238844)
all the talk about 50k or 20k bonus miles are not reward mainly for airline ticket purchase?
what else is MILES than?

thank you!

Sapphire Preferred card earns Ultimate Reward Points.

Premier Card earns ThankYou Points.

They are NOT airline's programs, therefore the "currency" is not Miles. Only the "currency" of airline's loyalty program is MILES, such as AA miles, UA/CO miles, US miles, BA miles, etc etc

Both programs allow you to "purchase" airline tickets with each program's earned points as if the points are "cash". The tickets purchased using these points are Revenue tickets that earn miles just like tickets you pay cash for.

Award tickets purchased (redeemed) by Airline Miles do NOT earn you anything.

To further complicate things, points have FIXED value while miles DONT.

Both the UR points and TYPs are at $0.01 per point when redeeming Gift Card, and at $0.0133 per point when redeeming airline ticket.

Miles can worth as little as $0.01 or as much as $0.15 - all depends on how you use them. As a matter of fact, this morning I am shown an example that the mile could worth almost $0.18 a mile.

To give you a very basic example, very often a Transcon coach ticket on sale could be around $200 to $250 - that would cost you 25K AA miles - so the mile could worth as little as $0.01.

Or, a First Class ticket JFK to HKG easily cost $12,000, and it costs 135K AA miles - so the mile could worth as much as $0.08.

I hope the above is not too math-challenging to understand.

pcharles Oct 7, 2011 9:46 pm

OMG!!!!! I NEVER THOUGHT....

I thought the metallica song "one"'was based off a movie/book, but it's actually a real life character.

"One"'could graduate from spoon feeding and start a new trend for oneself called reading, and research.

I for "one" am going back to stabbing myself in the "eye"' ( right after these brief messages....)

Happy Oct 7, 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by pcharles (Post 17238860)
OMG!!!!! I NEVER THOUGHT....

I thought the metallica song "one"'was based off a movie/book, but it's actually a real life character.

"One"'could graduate from spoon feeding and start a new trend for oneself called reading, and research.

I for "one" am going back to stabbing myself in the "eye"' ( right after these brief messages....)

"Facepalm"

But think about it this way, the way it goes, he would not pass the stage of redeeming for gift card... There is NO WAY he would figure out how to redeem for a ticket to India/Nepal. So you would have one less competitor for your award seats. ;)

pcharles Oct 7, 2011 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 17238877)
"Facepalm"

But think about it this way, the way it goes, he would not pass the stage of redeeming for gift card... There is NO WAY he would figure out how to redeem for a ticket to India/Nepal. So you would have one less competitor for your award seats. ;)

"One" can have the award ticket, I'm buying.... "one way" only!

Only if "One" can get oneself to the airport by oneself. Tough to do though, knowing the story of "one".

Gets or Got his gun, it doesn't matter, there's only "one".

Sorry folks... Ill go look for an eye patch...
(backing to letting the thread get back on track)

CreditRocks Oct 7, 2011 11:18 pm

It's amazing how much some of you know about all the various programs. Thanks Happy for explaining a lot of the questions!

aubreyfromwheaton Oct 8, 2011 12:03 am

back in december 2010 i was approved for AA citi amex and declined for the AA citi visa (personals). my wife was approved for AA citi visa and declined for the AA citi amex. (personals).

this was despite following post #2 in the AA citi thread. maybe we had cookie trouble etc i don't know.

few months later applied for AA biz, but withdrew my app after they wanted all the documentation etc.

in any event, will applying for this Premier card affect anything with trying to get AA citicards in the future. (and should I cancel the current AA cards before waiting to the 18-24 month mark before reapplying for the AA cards again?)

to me 150K AA >>> Premier 50K

Kay_nyc Oct 8, 2011 5:37 am

Great find. I know that you get the 33% bonus when book airfare through the Thanks You Point's travel agents, what about hotels? Does the bonus only apply to flights, or to any reservations made through the program's travel agent?

factory81 Oct 8, 2011 7:07 am

Not to bring this entirely off topic, but this post here makes me feel like I have found a pretty good deal on my AZO - ORD - DFW - JAC trip. First class is 50k R/T. YUP fares are coming in no less than $1657. I find my miles to be worth over 3 cents a mile in this instance here. Now if only I wasn't flying first class on MD80's and 757's

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 17238856)
Sapphire Preferred card earns Ultimate Reward Points.

Premier Card earns ThankYou Points.

They are NOT airline's programs, therefore the "currency" is not Miles. Only the "currency" of airline's loyalty program is MILES, such as AA miles, UA/CO miles, US miles, BA miles, etc etc

Both programs allow you to "purchase" airline tickets with each program's earned points as if the points are "cash". The tickets purchased using these points are Revenue tickets that earn miles just like tickets you pay cash for.

Award tickets purchased (redeemed) by Airline Miles do NOT earn you anything.

To further complicate things, points have FIXED value while miles DONT.

Both the UR points and TYPs are at $0.01 per point when redeeming Gift Card, and at $0.0133 per point when redeeming airline ticket.

Miles can worth as little as $0.01 or as much as $0.15 - all depends on how you use them. As a matter of fact, this morning I am shown an example that the mile could worth almost $0.18 a mile.

To give you a very basic example, very often a Transcon coach ticket on sale could be around $200 to $250 - that would cost you 25K AA miles - so the mile could worth as little as $0.01.

Or, a First Class ticket JFK to HKG easily cost $12,000, and it costs 135K AA miles - so the mile could worth as much as $0.08.

I hope the above is not too math-challenging to understand.

MJLouise Oct 8, 2011 7:28 am

I got this even with the $125 ann fee and still consider it a good investment, to help pay for domestic econ tickets for a family of four. Those type of tix are hard to get with FF miles. Booking through the TY points portal offers many more choices, especially time-wise for a family on a tight time-line, than airline's FF low mileage flights.

Different purposes, different uses, different value for different situations.

krpjr Oct 8, 2011 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 17238732)

Just get both!

factory81 Oct 8, 2011 9:46 am

Originally Posted by MJLouise (Post 17240009)
I got this even with the $125 ann fee and still consider it a good investment, to help pay for domestic econ tickets for a family of four. Those type of tix are hard to get with FF miles. Booking through the TY points portal offers many more choices, especially time-wise for a family on a tight time-line, than airline's FF low mileage flights.

Different purposes, different uses, different value for different situations.

Actually now that I realize your approach I see the unique value of Chase Sapphire and Citi TYP. I see the free annual companion fare. This must be worth quite a bit. Say I fly YUP fare, does my partner fly YUP with me as well? The yearly bonus is quite nice and encourages loyalty. But 60k points for $665 of airfare is mehhhh. AZO - MXP is like $1500 or 40k AA miles. The 33% reward bonus I guess is there to try and compensate at the time of redemption though, plus the anytime any airline thing. You can always pull out a great reward redemption that works if time is on your side.

I really agree with your statement regarding the lack of flights. Quite pathetic and very inconvenient in nearly all travel situations. Being able to book on "any airline, anytime" with this card is quite awesome.

TYP are a different game. I am learning that dollar amounts of flights don't always correlate well with reward redemption', but with TYP it is all about bottom dollar airfare pricing and conversion of points with 33% bonus to dollar figures.

CVG_Kid Oct 8, 2011 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc (Post 17239739)
Great find. I know that you get the 33% bonus when book airfare through the Thanks You Point's travel agents, what about hotels? Does the bonus only apply to flights, or to any reservations made through the program's travel agent?

You do receive the discounted point redemption but be aware of the alternatives and rack rates. Looking in Asia I found that Agoda.com had better rates than the ThankYou engine with discount. Domestically I would wager that Priceline is a better value than ThankYou plus discount as well.

FlyingBoat Oct 8, 2011 1:37 pm

FYI, I called the Premier Card line but was not able to get the $125 annual fee credited for being a CitiGold member. Then I called the CitiGold number and they were able to credit the fee.

gtu2004 Oct 8, 2011 1:55 pm

I just applied for the citi cards in this thread: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2919195
for 150k bonus miles today. does anyone know if i am still eligible to get this thank you card offer?

Happy Oct 8, 2011 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton (Post 17239184)
back in december 2010 i was approved for AA citi amex and declined for the AA citi visa (personals). my wife was approved for AA citi visa and declined for the AA citi amex. (personals).

this was despite following post #2 in the AA citi thread. maybe we had cookie trouble etc i don't know.

few months later applied for AA biz, but withdrew my app after they wanted all the documentation etc.

in any event, will applying for this Premier card affect anything with trying to get AA citicards in the future. (and should I cancel the current AA cards before waiting to the 18-24 month mark before reapplying for the AA cards again?)

to me 150K AA >>> Premier 50K

It all depends on how many cards Citi is willing to give to you (depends on your credit profile of course).

In general Citi allow you to have 4 to 5 cards at the same time.

Happy Oct 8, 2011 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by gtu2004 (Post 17241521)
I just applied for the citi cards in this thread: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2919195
for 150k bonus miles today. does anyone know if i am still eligible to get this thank you card offer?

As long as your credit profile supports it, and you do not violate the limit of 2 applications every 60/65 days.

In other words if you just got your AA cards, your next Citi card application must be at least 60/65 days from the previous application date.

Happy Oct 8, 2011 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by factory81 (Post 17240491)
TYP are a different game. I am learning that dollar amounts of flights don't always correlate well with reward redemption', but with TYP it is all about bottom dollar airfare pricing and conversion of points with 33% bonus to dollar figures.

The beauty of TYPs are you can use it to redeem the Revenue tickets at a 25% discount (the same as 33% bonus - same value, just different math approach depends on the "base" being used).

This is particularly useful for some hardly discounted domestic flights that either you dont want to waste your miles or there are simply no award availability (the reason why the routes are hardly discounted - there are enough demand for the routes - hence hardly any award availability).

Happy Oct 8, 2011 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc (Post 17239739)

Flights and hotels are readily bookable on the website.

However, hotels are NOT a good use for the points for several reasons:

1) The rates are not competitive. The hotel descriptions is often too generic. You would do a lot better by using Booking.com, Priceline, or myriad of other hotel discount-booking sites.

2) The booking is NOT in your name when you booked - your name is not communicated to the hotel UNTIL the week or the days before your arrival. It is all explained in the FINE PRINT when you book - unfortunately it can only be viewed when you log in.

ddfr Oct 8, 2011 6:39 pm

confused

Sorry if this is a silly question but I am confused----can the reward of this card jus be redeemed for cash.

And would it be $500 or $665? I am confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Doug

Happy Oct 8, 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by ddfr (Post 17242506)
Sorry if this is a silly question but I am confused----can the reward of this card jus be redeemed for cash.

And would it be $500 or $665? I am confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Doug

No. The reward cannot be redeemed for cash, unless it is for paying back Student Loan (one of the reward options of TYP) - but at an inferior rate, i.e. 1 pt is worth less than 1 penny.

It is $500 if using to redeem for Gift Cards at $100 for 10,000 TYPs. It is $665 if using to redeem for airline tickets. When redeem for airline ticket, you get a 25% discount on the airfare, so a $400 ticket only cost you 30,000 TYPs. Or, a $665 ticket only cost you 50,000 TYPs. ($665 x 0.75 or 50,000 x 1.33 - they represent the SAME thing).

ddfr Oct 8, 2011 7:08 pm

gift cards

@ Happy thank you very much.

Are the gift cards, in effect, cash are there a lot of restrictions how the cards can be used?

It is $500 if using to redeem for Gift Cards at $100 for 10,000 TYPs. It is $665 if using to redeem for airline tickets. When redeem for airline ticket, you get a 25% discount on the airfare, so a $400 ticket only cost you 30,000 TYPs. Or, a $665 ticket only cost you 50,000 TYPs. ($665 x 0.75 or 50,000 x 1.33 - they represent the SAME thing).