Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by Happy
You probably got the Preferred - it does NOT have the same benefits as the Premier card which is the card discussed in this thread.

Preferred carries 3% forex fee, does not earn flight points, does not offer 25% discount on air fare redemption, does not have 15% discount on air ticket booked thru TY Network (not redemption), does not have annual companion ticket... Oh, when redeeming gift card, a $50 card costs you 6K TYP instead of 5K under the Premier card...

The only reason one would want a Preferred card instead of a Premier card would be the 5x earning at grocery store and drug store for the first year if you have a lot of spend in that area (think expensive prescriptions). Otherwise, I see no point of getting the Preferred and avoid the Premier.

In short, you are taking a product that has a whole lot less benefits, just because it is a no fee card? And you would take it any day of the week? I must say I fail to understand the logic behind it.

The Premier card 1st year fee is waived. On top of that you can always try for a retention offer if you want to keep it beyond the 1st year, or you can cancel it. Rinse and Repeat.
Precisely. Thank You Premier and Forward is easily the duo to have. Just like Freedom and CSP. I really dont understand getting the Preferred, except in rare upcoming spend pattern scenarios, and only for the first year.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by roki
Precisely. Thank You Premier and Forward is easily the duo to have. Just like Freedom and CSP. I really dont understand getting the Preferred, except in rare upcoming spend pattern scenarios, and only for the first year.
I got the preferred that has 5X on everything for 6 months, no annual fee. Short lived card, no longer offered. It goes straight to the sock drawer when the promo ends though.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
I got the preferred that has 5X on everything for 6 months, no annual fee. Short lived card, no longer offered. It goes straight to the sock drawer when the promo ends though.
That's fair. Also, the TY Preferred right now is 5x on groceries, drugstores, and gas for the first year, so, depending on spend, that is a good deal for that year. It's also 0% APR for 12 months, so depending on the person, it could have some very reasonable uses.

But, in terms of a keeper card--waste of a credit slot with Citi, IMO.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, KF Gold/PPS
To roki, Flyer4512 and Happy....I got the TY Premier card, not the Preferred. My parents have the Preferred, been meaning to tell them to switch to another one instead.

There is but one more deal that not many have access to that gets me no annual fee every year as well as no authorized user fee. I'm not a churner like most of you on here, so I am content just staying with this card. But I can confirm 100% I was approved for the TY Premier, with a 20k point bonus with $1k spend in 3 months.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:23 pm

When does the 3 month timer expire? Application date? Activation date? Approval date?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by srs507
To roki, Flyer4512 and Happy....I got the TY Premier card, not the Preferred. My parents have the Preferred, been meaning to tell them to switch to another one instead.

There is but one more deal that not many have access to that gets me no annual fee every year as well as no authorized user fee. I'm not a churner like most of you on here, so I am content just staying with this card. But I can confirm 100% I was approved for the TY Premier, with a 20k point bonus with $1k spend in 3 months.
As far as I know...the only way to get the annual fee waived permanantly on the TY Premier card is to be grandfathered in from the Premier Pass with the CG waiver, or to be an employee of the company (like me).

I'm sure others would be interested to hear as well how you got this waived...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by srs507
There is but one more deal that not many have access to that gets me no annual fee every year as well as no authorized user fee.
Can you provide more information on this statement as to how and who has access to this special offer of no annual fee for a Premier card?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, KF Gold/PPS
Originally Posted by roki
or to be an employee of the company (like me).
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
When does the 3 month timer expire? Application date? Activation date? Approval date?
Date of approval.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Instant approvals for MC and Visa from the link in Post 603 today.

Also noticed that the offer has a 0% purchase APR for 12 months. That will actually come in handy and make it much easier to meet the minimum spend quickly.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ryanw777
I just got my card and called to activate it and verify the signup offer and he said it came back as 25k points after $2k spend rather than 50k points after 2.5k spend. He said he would process a dispute on it.

Any other ideas of what I should do? I used the link from the op

Thanks
The OP's link did show 25K points with 2K spending. I guess you should have used the link from post 603. Not sure if anything can be done at this point. You might send citi a secured message to request the additonal 25K points?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Smile

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Instant approvals for MC and Visa from the link in Post 603 today.

Also noticed that the offer has a 0% purchase APR for 12 months. That will actually come in handy and make it much easier to meet the minimum spend quickly.
I am going to try to convince the wife to sign up. Wish me good luck.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:33 am

Can anyone provide me a 50k links that is verified to work visa and mc? Also, how does the companion tix work here? Any experience?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by cfuss
Can anyone provide me a 50k links that is verified to work visa and mc? Also, how does the companion tix work here? Any experience?
Post 603. I signed up for the mastercard with that link and a Citi rep confirmed the sign-up bonus of 50k.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by cfuss
For the companion ticket you go to the spirit web site. It will ask you for the first five digits on your card. Then it will give you a choice of companion ticket or 15% off purchase. What I have noticed is your choices are limited. But tomorrow they may have different choices. Also by putting in a airport 20 miles away I get different choices. So go into the site often and get used to it. By doing this you get used to how it works and can keep up on changes. Good luck, I saved $350 dollars on last companion ticket and both still got EQM's. When I used it they did charge taxes on 2nd ticket, but still a good savings. Also there is a Citi companion thread that may also help?

PS the 603 link still is working according to others?

Last edited by jjmiller69; Aug 4, 2012 at 10:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.