Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Bergen, NO: Clarion Havnekontoret vs No13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

Any thoughts on these two Choice properties? The Clarion can be had for 16k points/night, while the No13 (part of the presumably more upscale Ascend Collection) is a mere 12k per night. The Clarion appears to be in the Bryggen area but more remote from the city center, while the No13 is more centrally located but also maybe a bit more mundane.

We booked the Clarion, based on Rick Steves' recommendation, but I'm wondering if the No13 may be a better option.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Any thoughts on these two Choice properties? The Clarion can be had for 16k points/night, while the No13 (part of the presumably more upscale Ascend Collection) is a mere 12k per night. The Clarion appears to be in the Bryggen area but more remote from the city center, while the No13 is more centrally located but also maybe a bit more mundane.

We booked the Clarion, based on Rick Steves' recommendation, but I'm wondering if the No13 may be a better option.
I never heard of the No13 before, but I would caution against assuming that Ascend Collection is more "upscale" than Clarion. I've stayed in one Ascend collection property which is a decent-but-otherwise-typical two-story motel, with themed illustrations on the room walls which make it "unique", and that "uniqueness" being the only thing that qualifies it into Ascend Collection. And when it first joined Ascend Collection its breakfast didn't have any eggs (cold or hot) or any hot food of any kind (though they've expanded the breakfast a bit since then). Nothing even close to upscale about it IMHO.

So I suggest reading up on what specifically the No13 is like (detailed hotel descriptions plus any detailed reviews), and not assuming anything just based on its being in the Ascend Collection.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:45 am

No13 gets sold out pretty quickly because it's much cheaper. But I agree with sdsearch, I would not assume it's nicer than Clarion.

I stayed at Clarion Admiral a few weeks ago and it was lovely. My room had an amazing view of Bryggen and the breakfast was top notch.

You can do a cash+points option with Choice too if you don't want to spend the 16k on Clarion. However, if you want a nicer hotel, definitely go for Clarion. Since Havenokontoret is so close to Bryggen, you'd be at the center of the tourist area so lots of transportation options and plenty of things to do, like the fish market and Floibanen being right there.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by meraki
No13 gets sold out pretty quickly because it's much cheaper. But I agree with sdsearch, I would not assume it's nicer than Clarion.

I stayed at Clarion Admiral a few weeks ago and it was lovely. My room had an amazing view of Bryggen and the breakfast was top notch.

You can do a cash+points option with Choice too if you don't want to spend the 16k on Clarion. However, if you want a nicer hotel, definitely go for Clarion. Since Havenokontoret is so close to Bryggen, you'd be at the center of the tourist area so lots of transportation options and plenty of things to do, like the fish market and Floibanen being right there.
Thanks, that's what I figured. We'll only be there for 24h so definitely want to see as many of those things as possible.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:02 am

Oh I wasn't even in Bergen for 24 hours, more like 16 hours, half of it spent sleeping. The parts of the city I did see were all in the central area where the fish market, Mt Floyen, and Bryggen are, all of which is within a 10-15 min walking distance from both Clarion hotels and the walk is not hilly at all.

Something I forgot to mention is that if you take Flybussen from the BGO airport, the last stop is Bryggen, which would get you almost directly in front of Havenokontoret.

Have a good time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.