FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bergen, NO: Clarion Havnekontoret vs No13
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:38 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Any thoughts on these two Choice properties? The Clarion can be had for 16k points/night, while the No13 (part of the presumably more upscale Ascend Collection) is a mere 12k per night. The Clarion appears to be in the Bryggen area but more remote from the city center, while the No13 is more centrally located but also maybe a bit more mundane.

We booked the Clarion, based on Rick Steves' recommendation, but I'm wondering if the No13 may be a better option.
I never heard of the No13 before, but I would caution against assuming that Ascend Collection is more "upscale" than Clarion. I've stayed in one Ascend collection property which is a decent-but-otherwise-typical two-story motel, with themed illustrations on the room walls which make it "unique", and that "uniqueness" being the only thing that qualifies it into Ascend Collection. And when it first joined Ascend Collection its breakfast didn't have any eggs (cold or hot) or any hot food of any kind (though they've expanded the breakfast a bit since then). Nothing even close to upscale about it IMHO.

So I suggest reading up on what specifically the No13 is like (detailed hotel descriptions plus any detailed reviews), and not assuming anything just based on its being in the Ascend Collection.