Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Hey, thanks for trying to keep it civil here. . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hey, thanks for trying to keep it civil here. . .

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Isn't always right? I can concede that. Is it generally right? You know it.

Of course, now you bring personal taste into the equation. If you're willing to pay $40 more for an HGI, then that works for you and no one can question that. On the other hand, tonight I could have chosen an HGI located 12 miles away from the beach and paid $120 or a Quality Inn in a good location on the Virginia Beach oceanfront (and a former Hilton to boot) for $65.

And from the point of view of leveraging a hotel loyalty program to get free nights? Even before Hilton's recent changes, it was a challenge to earn a free night off staying at Hilton properties. My earnings for my last three nights at a Doubletree property, even with the Double Points promotion currently running--5000 points. A night at the HGI I just mentioned and before any changes go into effect from the recently announced "enhancements" to Hilton's program? 35K. So, for just another 18 nights, I can get one night at a mid-level HGI--unless I want a one-bedroom suite at the HGI, in which case I'll have to spend over 60K points. Not to worry, that's only another 15 nights.

In the Choice program, all rooms available on points are generally available for the same point cost--a room for one, a room for two, a suite for a family. And we're getting spoiled by Choice's decision to make their go-to promotion "stay two, get 8K points." As noted throughout this forum, for significant portions of the year, 8K will get you a room at a lot of properties around the world. I'm going to Italy in three weeks. For 48K points, I'll get five nights in properties in and around Rome. If done under the 8K promotion, that's 12 nights of hotel stays to earn those points.

Both Hilton and Choice have made some changes to their programs in the past year. Choice introduced a new 30K redemption level. For purely Choice redemptions, 30K is the highest you'll pay (there's an association with the Preferred Hotel Group, not a Choice chain, that requires more--but even there, 60K is the top of the heap). Hilton? Well, let's put it this way, if you want an HGI in New York City, be prepared to pay a minimum of 60K and with their new, seasonal pricing, as much as 80K.

Is Choice elegant? Almost always, certainly not (again, that association with PHG is the big exception). I know from my experience in Rome last year that the Comfort Inn Bolivar is certainly not that: Hotel Bolivar. But, can I efficiently earn enough Choice points to fund travel at comfortable hotels in a lot of properties in countries outside the US I might not have otherwise tried? You bet.

I currently have 340K Hilton points and 170K Choice points (with the deduction already done for my Rome stays next month). I'll guarantee you that my Choice points will get me much further than my Hilton points.
Given the title of this thread we certainly shouldn't bicker!

I personally have pretty much given up on Hilton. I make a point of trying to earn my Marriott Megabonus nights and then devote myself to Club Carlson or Choice. I agree with you that Choice has some fantastic properties in Europe, and as a tourist sometimes I would rather stay in the central but less fancy Choice hotel than the more upscale European business hotel.

My wife travels a lot, as in frequently five days a week, and the relative luxury that the Hilton and Marriott properties offers her is important. She is after more than just low price and free hotel rooms, although they are a nice bonus.

I just bought 20,000 Choice points because my balance was so low. I will be taking advantage of the new bonus to try to get enough points or five or six discounted European nights for this summer, if they are available. So I'm halfway aboard, if not all the way (I usually travel with my own comforter, as I can't stand bedspreads and blankets that aren't triple-sheeted or covered with a freshly washed duvet cover, which few if any Choice hotels do).
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
Given the title of this thread we certainly shouldn't bicker!

I personally have pretty much given up on Hilton. I make a point of trying to earn my Marriott Megabonus nights and then devote myself to Club Carlson or Choice. I agree with you that Choice has some fantastic properties in Europe, and as a tourist sometimes I would rather stay in the central but less fancy Choice hotel than the more upscale European business hotel.

My wife travels a lot, as in frequently five days a week, and the relative luxury that the Hilton and Marriott properties offers her is important. She is after more than just low price and free hotel rooms, although they are a nice bonus.

I just bought 20,000 Choice points because my balance was so low. I will be taking advantage of the new bonus to try to get enough points or five or six discounted European nights for this summer, if they are available. So I'm halfway aboard, if not all the way (I usually travel with my own comforter, as I can't stand bedspreads and blankets that aren't triple-sheeted or covered with a freshly washed duvet cover, which few if any Choice hotels do).
Essentially, we agree on the philosophy of "earn here, burn there." I did redeem at a couple of properties on a vacation to Northern California last summer, but I tried to get good value for those, keeping my redemptions to 8-10K. If I can find a Choice property for $90 in the US, I'm hard pressed to do a redemption unless I'm just trying to stretch my vacation budget by saving a bit here and there.

The European (and some other countries, such as Japan, where I've seen 8K redemptions) properties are where it's at right now in this program. I'll find some value in my Hilton points; I just find it interesting that the best ways to earn points, free nights, and status with Hilton now comes through credit card signups. I'd agree that a lot of Hilton properties are a lot nicer than Choice properties, but I'm really not sure how paying for stays at Hilton properties any longer is an efficient method of earning free nights later. Even with the current Double Points promo and Gold status with Hilton, a $400/night hotel room gets me a little above 8K points.

And while I'm sure that for my $400 in spending, there are some beautiful Home2Suites somewhere in Podunk that I'll be able to get for 5.5K points when the new program kicks in, it's really hard to beat 8-10K for a European property that costs me $120-140 at Choice hotels. And spending $400 will almost certainly get me into any Choice property for a one-night redemption anywhere.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis Pref, DL Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
True about that--I've only been recognized as an elite once despite evidence that this must matter to someone within Choice or at individual properties because every survey about a stay I've ever gotten includes a question about whether I was recognized as an elite upon check-in.
Same here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.