OT: Trains from Beijing to Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Trains from Beijing to Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
Given that I had a private car, I'd say I had a private cabin. I think the biggest point of all is that I would generally conclude that those people taking the train are generally trying to save money, and therefore more generally opt not to splurge on the deluxe cabins, so the deluxe car will tend to be more empty --- at least on the Beijing-Shanghai route. Not sure if this is true in the longer HKG routes. Probably not so true during holiday/peak travel times when I understand the trains can be sold out completely.
The SHA/HKG route is pretty full most of the time. But then again SHA/HKG flights cost a lot more than SHA/PEK.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Few Questions:
--If we want to be guaranteed a cabin for two, would we book the Deluxe cabin or is there another option?
The only option is to book the upper and lower berths in a deluxe cabin. I am not sure every one of the D trains has a deluxe car. I got conflicting info before booking. 2 out of 3 concierges told me there was no deluxe car with 2 person cabins. Maybe they were checking a a different train, as there are 5-6 per night, so be persistent, and unless things change, the D307 train does have a deluxe car.

--If we book just a few days before are the prices you indicated available or are those prices for an advanced booking?
I booked 2 days in advance and bought my ticket thru the concierge. I think there is a limit on how far you can book in advance (like not very much?). These are
the standard prices currently in the market. I am not aware of any discounts for the night D trains. If you don't care about arriving by 7:30am, you might want to check out the 13 hour T trains which leave around 1:15pm, and are less expensive.

--Same for coach plane. Would you know if we book just a few days before departure are the prices reasonable? Which airline would you suggest for one way coach at good prices and good service/safety level?
I think you have a better chance for discounted coach airfare booking as far in advsance as possible. Best sites seem to be ctrip.com and elong.com.

--Where is the best place in Shanghai to buy the train ticket (to get the best price and the easiest purchase experience)? Or to get the best price should be book before we leave USA and if so, how do we book it?
There is no best or worst place to buy the train tickets. The base ticket prices are all the same. I would contact your Beijing hotel concierge who will certainly procure a reservation and ticket for you. I felt the RMB 30 charge (less than $5) to deliver a ticket to my hotel within 2 hours was nominal. At my hotel (Grand Hyatt) they did charge a 5% premium to pay by credit card versus cash, which amounted to an additional $10. Conversely, you may be able to go to Beijing Main/Central station and buy the tickets for no fee and I am sure there are other places/agencies which charge less the RMB 30, but $5 is not much on an absolute level. I have a sense most people buy their tickets with little advance booking, but I could be wrong.

Have a good trip.

Last edited by nologic; Dec 1, 2010 at 1:50 am
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Or, if you factor in RT costs in for deluxe sleeper plus the time on the train, it's not worth it. Plus, I think the estimate for 1150 for hotels in PVG is overpriced. I can EASILY find a hotel for around 500 RMB where I can get an upgrade and free breakfast. But then again, right now I live in PVG, and PEK is even cheaper. Try 400 RMB/night.

Or you can find even cheaper Chinese hotels that are still good/comfortable with breakfast in the 150RMB range.

Lastly, friend's places are free, and so is the food (sometimes).
I appreciate your perspective and suggestions, but I am not interested in those hotels...I am very happy with the Hyatt and Starwood options in Asia, and that's where I would be staying if I wasn't on the train, so those costs/savings are very real "for me". I realize not everyone looks at their options this way, but compared to what I would be paying/doing if I were to fly, those are the numbers/savings.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
That's one disadvantage of getting a train or flying to Hongqiao, you have to travel over the most congested road in Shanghai to get to the CBD.

I wonder if there're still trains from Beijing that go to the Shanghai Station, that would've cut down on your taxi time significantly. Even PVG would've been better than SHA during peak hour if your destination is in Lujiazui.
I think the two night T trains go into and out of the center city on both ends, but the BJ-SHA train arrived too late for me. If I didn't have an AM meeting, I might have considered the T train. Yes, Hongqiao taxi/traffic was a pain.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I appreciate your perspective and suggestions, but I am not interested in those hotels...I am very happy with the Hyatt and Starwood options in Asia, and that's where I would be staying if I wasn't on the train, so those costs/savings are very real "for me". I realize not everyone looks at their options this way, but compared to what I would be paying/doing if I were to fly, those are the numbers/savings.
Fair enough, I just wanted to post that there are options out there for those that don't mind those hotels. Since you do, I'm glad it worked out for you. Sounds like the ride was good - again appreciate the detailed post.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As some who: 1) likes trains; and 2) has friends with travel budgets that range from 168-style to biz class from HK to SH every week, I'd like to thank nologic for his review of the train.

I fall somewhere in the middle, but can always force the high end options when need be.

I used to love the train option (though never tried deluxe). But, my one D trip left a bitter taste in my mouth because I paid an extra y200 for it, and simultaneously missed out on the "bar car" experience.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:47 am

Photos

I have uploaded pics from the train to a public album which is labeled D305 Train Photos supposedly viewable within my profile. I am not sure how to create a link to that album in this thread.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:02 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
I have uploaded pics from the train to a public album which is labeled D305 Train Photos supposedly viewable within my profile. I am not sure how to create a link to that album in this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...i-beijing.html

Thank you very much for the report and the photos. All that looks pretty decent, even to somebody who usually avoids trains rides longer than an hour
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...i-beijing.html

Thank you very much for the report and the photos. All that looks pretty decent, even to somebody who usually avoids trains rides longer than an hour
Et voila...merci.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Thanks for the pics ^
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Newspaper in Hong Kong is report that the Beijing-Shanghai deluxe softsleeper on the D train will end on 1/5/2011. Due to lack of demand with the high fare.

The upcoming D trains from Shanghai to Chengdu/Chongqing are still planning to have them, but the newspaper questions whether those are economically viable as well, since it'll be cheaper to just fly and stay in a 5* hotel.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Newspaper in Hong Kong is report that the Beijing-Shanghai deluxe softsleeper on the D train will end on 1/5/2011. Due to lack of demand with the high fare.

The upcoming D trains from Shanghai to Chengdu/Chongqing are still planning to have them, but the newspaper questions whether those are economically viable as well, since it'll be cheaper to just fly and stay in a 5* hotel.
Well, demand was low on my train, but that's a bummer, because I would probably take it again.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rkkwan

Interesting, but makes sense. Given it is mostly catered to foreigners, as Chinese ride the cheap cars.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Interesting, but makes sense. Given it is mostly catered to foreigners, as Chinese ride the cheap cars.
Foreigners like the soft sleepers as they can possibly save time, save a night of hotel's cost, find it adventurous. But many also don't want to share a cabin with strangers, therefore the deluxe softsleepers.

Plenty of Chinese are super rich and can afford it as well, but they probably won't find it adventurous, and many may have a home in either Beijing and Shanghai anyways, so it may not save them money. They can simply fly. And others may not find sharing a cabin with others in a soft sleeper that bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.