Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for gifts to bring Chinese hosts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for gifts to bring Chinese hosts?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by hightree
I work for an organic skin care company (kimberlyparry.com) and we have a large number of people ordering our products to take as gifts to China. We have been told that they like that they are USDA certified organic (with the label) and made in San Juan Capistrano, CA with all natural and organic ingredients. Especially popular is lavender and lemon grass and ylang ylang SMOOTH, a body oil. I have been interested to find out why we get so many orders, an have been researching that Chinese want gifts made in US, unusual, and high quality.
Be honest - if it doesn't have a skin whitening agent in it, Chinese don't want it. My wife tried to find skin creme over here without whitening agent - impossible. Has to be demand driven.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:29 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Dr. Li products offer some creams without whitening agent.

http://www.sisder.com/english/products_cream.asp

Available at some Watsons and also Super Brand Mall.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In response to posts 44 and 45:

1) I read one of those airport bookstore business books a few years ago that made a solid case for the fact that "Made in Italy" often = "Made in China"; Prato's factory scene is apparently dominated by Wenzhounese, who have gone to great lengths to minimize costs through the use of Chinese labor/materials both in Italy and China. Basically, it defended the "buttons sewn on in Italy" urban legend.

2) While I have many friends that own boutiques in Beijing and Shanghai, the only one I would classify as "successful" by western standards (e.g. fancy house/car) sources the bulk of her inventory from Macy's, Kohl's, TJ Max, Filene's Basement, etc. Oh, and she also hits up Sunrise Duty Free at the airport once a week. Almost all of this stuff is made in China, but not sold in China. As far as I can tell, the reason her model works is because the goods are real. But, more importantly, in the US market, selling products at a (big) loss is SOP... anything to clear the shelves (1>0).
Old Jun 1, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Steve007NY
Gee... traveled to about 1/2 the courntries in the world, and still can barely tell if you folks are kidding or not. Kirkland Fish Oil? Multivits.

Maybe a bit of clarification. One host is the chair of Neurosurgery at major medical school. one is chair of Psychiatry at another....

i'd been thinking things like Tiffany Key ring..., bialys from local bakery. American ginseng not a bad idea, and easier than getting to Tiffanys!
The ginseng suggestion is excellent. I have heard that the best ginseng is grown in Wisconsin.

Tiffany items are copied in China, so that may not be as appreciated.

I bring back vitamins,aspirin, suppliments, etc. everytime I visit the US.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
the only one I would classify as "successful" by western standards (e.g. fancy house/car) sources the bulk of her inventory from Macy's, Kohl's, TJ Max, Filene's Basement, etc. As far as I can tell, the reason her model works is because the goods are real. .
Real cheap, but maybe not all real.

Filene's Basement settles counterfiet suit by Fendi for $2.5m

http://www.cnfzz.com/2011/03/filene%...-2-5mby-fendi/

Macy's sued for fake jewelry

http://www.macysjewelrylawsuit.com/

Burberry Sues T.J. Maxx Over Alleged Counterfeits

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/03/10/...d-counterfits/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.