Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adapter for China?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Adapter for China?

I am heading for China pretty soon and I could not find out whether I need an adapter for China or not. My mobile charger is of the europlug type, my book says they use several different types of plugs ther including the American type (but with 240 V instead of 110 V).
Old May 30, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by William S
I am heading for China pretty soon and I could not find out whether I need an adapter for China or not. My mobile charger is of the europlug type, my book says they use several different types of plugs ther including the American type (but with 240 V instead of 110 V).
China has a different plug type, distinct from Europe or US (although sometimes one can jam a US one in). However, many 'international brand' hotels have US/European outlets that you can plug into, and others loan you adapters.

tb
Old May 30, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The most common plug I've found in China is the Type I. See this link for a pic.

If you buy an adapter, be sure to get the 3-prong version as many plugs no longer accept the 2-prong ones.
Old May 30, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
The most common plug I've found in China is the Type I. See this link for a pic.

If you buy an adapter, be sure to get the 3-prong version as many plugs no longer accept the 2-prong ones.
There are a lot of the I's and a lot of A's, a very common design has 5 holes and will accept either an I or an A.

Note that the safety systems that are becoming common preclude using a two-prong A plug also.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCyyz

Thanks
I have that adapter (well actually a US adapter which allows adjusting of the pins so it becomes that kind of adapter).
Old May 31, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I have always been able to use a US plug directly or sometimes a euro two-prong plug adapter. However, I have been in cities in Western hotels, but even in other buildings and the airport I haven't had a problem with one of those two.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I'd say you are fine in 99.9% of hotels. I think of all the hotels I've stayed in while in China (I've stayed at probably 50+ hotels) I only had a problem once. And that's because the electricity didn't work, not the plug type.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.