Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for gifts to bring Chinese hosts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for gifts to bring Chinese hosts?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:14 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
[QUOTE=slickalick;7528968]
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu

Yeah, i saw this in the IHT last week....and i've actually been trying to find one in HK or GZ but no luck thus far (i even tried looking on ebay!) - so if anyone knows where to get one...i need to indulge the owner of one of our partners.
Here is the website in HK: ^ www.hksincere.com

Very popular item these days

活現媒體傳播公司(Alive Media & Communications) 於2005年創辦,致力提供網站內容編寫及管理服務。當中HKSincere.com是該公司旗下全資擁有 的網站,為大眾報導最新、最齊全的本地手機資訊,並提供一個互動的空間讓讀者之間作出交流。
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is a really interesting question from the OP.

I travel to China 4-5 times per year, and I often need gifts for hosts (often unknown to me) of various functions. Since I am American, I always try to bring something from the US, particularly things that cannot easily be purchased in China. IME, this gesture is generally quite appreciated.

Things that I have given that seem to have been hits:
*Coin sets, e.g., the state quarters (indeed, I often receive coin sets from Chinese visitors)
*California wine (IME, red is almost always preferred)
*Wooden handicrafts, e.g., nice cutting boards made from American hardwoods
*Local jams, jellies, and honeys
*Coffee table books with pictures of my home state

Things that I have given that didn't make a big splash (your experience may vary):
*Wild rice (it seems to go over well elsewhere)
*Cross pens

I like the idea of blues CDs that another poster suggested. I may try that!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:53 pm

In the mid-city of area of man-hat-an there is a store that only sells gifts for Chinese peoples to take back to China to give to chinese. Mr Zhu wishes he could remember the adress. Everything is made in the U.S. of A. and perfect for gifting...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:57 pm

Chinese love food gifts. So some lovely cake or pastries or such that can travel well will be a big hit.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Steve007NY wishes MrZhu had a better idea of the name of the store! meanwhile, Tiffany money clips and logo sweatshirts from my medical school will have to be it!
We're about 44 hours in transit, 50+ til we see first host, and 10 days to second... wonder what cake we could bring? All american Twinkies? :-)
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
For family I would bring lots of vitamins, fish oil, lecithin, chocolates, and coffee. Those last 2 are very expensive over there.

For alcohol, cognac seems to be big. Scotch is next.

When Chinese friends come over for dinner here they often bring what we would consider house warming gifts, and/or dessert.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Steve007NY
Steve007NY wishes MrZhu had a better idea of the name of the store! meanwhile, Tiffany money clips and logo sweatshirts from my medical school will have to be it!
We're about 44 hours in transit, 50+ til we see first host, and 10 days to second... wonder what cake we could bring? All american Twinkies? :-)

How about something well-packaged, quality cookies in a tin, etc. Before Chinese holidays for example, bakers and grocers there are loaded with food gifts that people love to give and receive.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:28 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gbjd1205
Things that I have given that seem to have been hits:
*Coin sets, e.g., the state quarters (indeed, I often receive coin sets from Chinese visitors)
That sounds like a great suggestion. I've been working with new hires to our company and have been trying to think of a small gift for them. And US state quarters sounds like something they would really like. ^
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:54 am

Dear OP:

Here listed are some of my suggestions:

1) Good cigar or wine or jellies? (i.e. in Kelowna B.C., they are famous for their ice wines)

2) Maple syrup (if you were from Canada.. alas, you are not.. but you know, you can give something symbolic of the city/country you are from)

3) Store-bought goodie from a famous and delectable local shop? There must be tons from NY

4) What about a nice mug or mug set depicting local scene

PS: I find vitamin suggestion to be a little odd!

haha... and chinese families always bring oranges when they visit!

Oh! PPS: Maybe present a nice souvenir group photo of all of you together set in a nice picture frame before you depart??

Good luck..

-LDK
Old Apr 15, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Diamond
A bottle of quality red wine would be my top choice, cigar maybe, but very likely would be regifted if they don't smoke; Chocolate is also great as well as good quality coffee.

I know someone might find vitamin/ginseng odd, but it's very popular there. I bring loads of them everytime I visit, but will only work well if they're 40+.

Skincare products and make up are great gifts for the wives, as they usually cost twice as much in China.

DVD is a bad idea, it only cost $1 each in china, hard to find CDs might be a great idea, although you really have to know the person, maybe they only listen to Chinese music.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
WHY does carrying (checking these days) a bottle of red wine seem like not the easiest (or safest) of ideas! I suppose we could pack only burgundy colored clothes, just in case!

What we decided on:
Tiffany engraved/monogrammed silver money clips in individual little blue boxes and bags for key hosts

Downstate Medical Center Sweatshirts and T's for the doctor hosts (they say Brooklyn NY, where I'm chair and the mutual friend with our hosts will be working.

I LUV NY T-shirts for drivers, helpful desk clerks, cabin attendant on ship, etc.

sound oK?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:16 pm

Why don't you send gift baskets to China online

I think you can send gourmet baskets, wine baskets to China online. It's fast and secure. And you don't have to carry them to China. You can deliver the gift baskets to them before you reach some places.
I google in the net. (http://www.google.cn/search?hl=zh-CN...ina&meta=&aq=f)
And I find http://www.800chinabaskets.com. You can try this.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:10 pm

Smile Gifts for China

I work for an organic skin care company (kimberlyparry.com) and we have a large number of people ordering our products to take as gifts to China. We have been told that they like that they are USDA certified organic (with the label) and made in San Juan Capistrano, CA with all natural and organic ingredients. Especially popular is lavender and lemon grass and ylang ylang SMOOTH, a body oil. I have been interested to find out why we get so many orders, an have been researching that Chinese want gifts made in US, unusual, and high quality.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hightree
I work for an organic skin care company (kimberlyparry.com) and we have a large number of people ordering our products to take as gifts to China. We have been told that they like that they are USDA certified organic (with the label) and made in San Juan Capistrano, CA with all natural and organic ingredients. Especially popular is lavender and lemon grass and ylang ylang SMOOTH, a body oil. I have been interested to find out why we get so many orders, an have been researching that Chinese want gifts made in US, unusual, and high quality.
First, Click Here.

Next, Click Here

Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by Skyman65
The hardest part for us in buying gifts for our Taiwan in-laws is finding something that was NOT made in China. You may think you've found the perfect gift for someone, only to see the "Made in China" label and it is automatically DQ'd.
I live here (been 9 months now) and can assure you, just because something is Made in China has no bearing on whether it's actually available to be purchased here.

My co-workers assume it's because they'll get more from Americans than from locals so everything is exported.

Finding my "American" made in China stuff here has been a true misery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.