Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:56 am

If you're planning on applying for a visa in Hong Kong, note that as of January 22, 2018, the old Wanchai Visa Office will no longer handle visa applications from ordinary passport holders. They're setting up one of those outsourced Visa Service Centres instead, and you'll be paying more and no longer have direct contact with the visa office staff. In many cases, outsourcing seems to result in stricter application of rules, since the outsourced office staff don't have the discretion of the visa office staff. So don't be surprised if there's more fussiness in the future.

Important Notice on Opening of Chinese Visa Application Service Center

"Brazilians cannot get 10 years no matter where they apply, only Americans and Canadians can get this."

No, Israeli citizens are also eligible for ten-year multiple-entry visas.

Last edited by 889; Jan 12, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:00 am

US citizen getting visa to China in Bangkok

I'm on a month-long holiday in Bangkok. My employer has had a meeting come up that they need me to attend in Shanghai in two weeks (before the end of my holiday). I have never been to China before and don't currently have a visa. I have all the materials for my visa application, however I'm really concerned that it's going to be a pointless exercise as I'm here on a tourist visa. Note: I'm not looking to get out of this business trip, it's actually important I go. Does anyone think I'll be able to make this happen? Looking forward to any feedback you have!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:41 am

Policies on giving visas to non-residents blow hot and cold, so you won't really know till you try.

But there's no reason to abandon your business trip, because there's a fall-back if you can't get a visa in time: travel to Beijing "in transit" without a visa, which will permit you to stay in Beijing (and only Beijing) for up to 144 hours. To do this, you'll have to fly in and out of Beijing from different countries/regions, and your flights can't stop anywhere in China except Beijing. A non-stop flight Bangkok to Beijing, then a non-stop Beijing to Hong Kong, followed by a return to Bangkok, will meet the requirements.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by 889
Policies on giving visas to non-residents blow hot and cold, so you won't really know till you try.

But there's no reason to abandon your business trip, because there's a fall-back if you can't get a visa in time: travel to Beijing "in transit" without a visa, which will permit you to stay in Beijing (and only Beijing) for up to 144 hours. To do this, you'll have to fly in and out of Beijing from different countries/regions, and your flights can't stop anywhere in China except Beijing. A non-stop flight Bangkok to Beijing, then a non-stop Beijing to Hong Kong, followed by a return to Bangkok, will meet the requirements.
My meeting is in Shanghai - does this apply to Shanghai as well?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:12 am

Sorry, I somehow put Beijing in there.

Yes, it works for Shanghai on the same principle as Beijing, except that you're permitted to roam outside Shanghai anywhere in Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces. Indeed you can fly into Shanghai and fly out of Hangzhou or Nanjing, if you wish. But you can't do both Beijing and Shanghai on the same visit.

You'll find transit without visa discussed in another very lengthy thread here.

If a week is enough and you don't mind routing yourself through Hong Kong on one leg of your trip, then you might just forget about getting a Chinese visa in Bangkok. Much easier to do it in the U.S., and you'll get a ten-year multiple-entry visa there, for about the same cost as a short-term visa in Bangkok.

Last edited by 889; Jan 13, 2018 at 6:18 am
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by 889
... same principle as Beijing, except that you're permitted to roam outside Shanghai ...
You can also roam outside Beijing.
Sounds to me like the visa-free transit is the best solution if you plan your flights well, meaning that you can't fly back to where to cam from such as Thailand-China-Thailand. You need to go through another country for one leg.
Here is a copy of the rules: Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:07 am

Yes, I wasn't aware that the geographical limitation was eased when Beijing went to 144-hour TWOV. You can now indeed travel to Hebei province and Tianjin on a 144-hour Beijing TWOV.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:59 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Question about 10 year visa on expired passport

My wife just applied for and received it, but her 10 year visa is on her old/expired passport. I assume she shouldn't have any issue if she as both valid passport and expired passport with 10 year visa when she enters / exits the country?

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:09 pm

No problem, assuming her name is the same in both passports, and both are U.S. passports.
chipmaster likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
My wife just applied for and received it, but her 10 year visa is on her old/expired passport. I assume she shouldn't have any issue if she as both valid passport and expired passport with 10 year visa when she enters / exits the country?

Thanks
Our last two entries have been with our visas in old passports. No problems. Little surprise--on exit they will want to see the old passport also.
chipmaster likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Our last two entries have been with our visas in old passports. No problems. Little surprise--on exit they will want to see the old passport also.
I was just wondering about this! This is great news.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
How about CDG-PVG (stay 6 days) PVG-HKG (stay 1 night) HKG to PVG (stay another 6 days) and then finally PVG-CDG?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by pianoamit
How about CDG-PVG (stay 6 days) PVG-HKG (stay 1 night) HKG to PVG (stay another 6 days) and then finally PVG-CDG?
You're fine though I hope you're also visiting areas other than Shanghai over 12 days...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
I wish, Bluehen1. I did that 5 years ago (although with a visa) and went to Shanghai, Beijing and Guilin. This time, I have had to come to China to be with my other half who was on a business trip, fell ill and needed emergency surgery.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by pianoamit
I wish, Bluehen1. I did that 5 years ago (although with a visa) and went to Shanghai, Beijing and Guilin. This time, I have had to come to China to be with my other half who was on a business trip, fell ill and needed emergency surgery.
At least now with the TWOV rules, you can spend time in Shanghai, Zhejiang (Hangzhou), and Jiangsu (Nanjing, Suzhou) without any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.