Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:43 pm

You need an invitation letter from your client. Is your client Chinese? If so then go for the business visa. Otherwise just have a tourist visa. Yes you can get a 10-year business visa.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:07 pm

My client is not Chinese, we are going to China to speak with potential business contacts in China and negotiate, probably. They can furnish us with invitations.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
My wife and I are UAE resident but to apply here my wife needs to renew her uae visa which is due to expire soon.

We are both travelling to the uk soon and was wondering if it would make a difference if we got the visa in London or in Dubai.

For what it's worth we are actually going home to a wedding and then flying back (transiting in Dubai) to Beijing.

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated. I don't want to be denied enter because we got the visa in London rather than the uae.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Your wife is also British Citizen right? It seems either UK (having citizenship) or UAE (having current residency) is fine to me.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Your wife is also British Citizen right? It seems either UK (having citizenship) or UAE (having current residency) is fine to me.
Yes but there are lots of formalities here in DXB for example I need a letter of no objection from my employer...

My concern is that I get the visa in London, they say I am resident in UAE and did not follow those formalities.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'm just thinking you can be a BC with a UAE residency visa in your passport but claim you are no longer living there - you can't exactly ask UAE to tear it off to scrub it out. If you can claim residency in the UK and supply a UK residential address then I don't see why this will be a problem.

The analogy I'm using are Australian passports holders with HK non-permanent residency. In theory you can apply for Chinese visa from both.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by m3red
Yes but there are lots of formalities here in DXB for example I need a letter of no objection from my employer...

My concern is that I get the visa in London, they say I am resident in UAE and did not follow those formalities.
If you are British citizens, you are entitled to apply in the the UK. If you want to avoid any sort of hassle or discussion, use a UK address: temporary, former, or that of family in the UK and sidestep the UAE residency entirely.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Are they offering 10 year visas to Australians yet?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:00 am

Australia seems to be taking a different path than the U.S. and Canada, since the ten-year Australian visas for Chinese will apparently be very highly priced:

"Focusing on China, it is acknowledged that the Government has announced that it will move to online applications by the end of 2016 and will be introducing a ten year multiple entry visa. Currently most Chinese tourists have to fill out a 21 page paper form which has to be submitted to a visa office along with complex identity documentation, it costs $135. The new ten year visa will cost $1,000."

https://www.acci.asn.au/sites/defaul...ion_policy.pdf

At that rate, assuming China sets a reciprocal fee, I'm not sure there'd be great demand for a ten-year visa from Australian travellers.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Shimon
Are they offering 10 year visas to Australians yet?
No.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
On the visa application form, under 2.2, "intended number of entries," if I want a 10 year visa with multiple entries, should I type it there at the bottom, or just check the box for, "multiple entries valid for 1 year?"
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aztimm
On the visa application form, under 2.2, "intended number of entries," if I want a 10 year visa with multiple entries, should I type it there at the bottom, or just check the box for, "multiple entries valid for 1 year?"
You could just write a zero in after the 1.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I just typed in 10 years and I got 10 years.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by moondog
You could just write a zero in after the 1.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm planning to visit the consulate in Houston tomorrow. Just want to make sure I'll have everything:
* Visa application form
* Picture on form (and an extra, just in case)
* Copy of airline itinerary
* Copy of hotel itinerary
* Passport, and a copy of the data page (I'll keep a copy too)

It sounds like I'll pay the fee, $140, via MC/Visa when I pick everything up.

I thought there used to be a special form for the Houston consulate, but I don't see anything on their site now.

I'm planning to get there around 9am or so... Have no idea what to expect. Do you usually just drop things off, or does someone review everything with you?
I have tentative lunch plans, and can return in the afternoon if needed.

Ages ago, when I was in the army stationed in Korea, I went to the Australian embassy in Seoul for a visa (this was in the early 1990s when Americans needed a visa). I remember just dropping everything off, then returning a week or so later and my passport with visa was waiting for me.

One last question: I thought if you were staying at a hotel you didn't need an, "inviter." Should I just leave that section blank?

Last edited by aztimm; Jul 21, 2016 at 11:14 am
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm planning to visit the consulate in Houston tomorrow. Just want to make sure I'll have everything:
* Visa application form
* Picture on form (and an extra, just in case)
* Copy of airline itinerary
* Copy of hotel itinerary
* Passport, and a copy of the data page (I'll keep a copy too)

It sounds like I'll pay the fee, $140, via MC/Visa when I pick everything up.

I thought there used to be a special form for the Houston consulate, but I don't see anything on their site now.

I'm planning to get there around 9am or so... Have no idea what to expect. Do you usually just drop things off, or does someone review everything with you?
I have tentative lunch plans, and can return in the afternoon if needed.

Ages ago, when I was in the army stationed in Korea, I went to the Australian embassy in Seoul for a visa (this was in the early 1990s when Americans needed a visa). I remember just dropping everything off, then returning a week or so later and my passport with visa was waiting for me.
I'd bring a copy of the airline ticket receipt too, not just the itinerary/reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.