Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
Fast, informative reply. Thanks a lot.

It looks like Allied is the cheapest (for my situation, at least). Plus OMAT & TPG both have $5 discounts for them, and Mile Nerd & Tagging Miles both have $10 discounts (links below).

I called with a question, and someone answered in less than a minute, and was able to answer it. For anyone else who's wondering, the processing time listed on their website (10 business days) does include both their handling time, and the embassy's time as well. 10 business days is the total of those two.

Their office in DC is near Embassy Row, so it meets that criteria as well (good idea, by the way).

So this seems to be a really good option - hopefully I'll be just as happy with them ~12 business days from now.

http://alliedpassport.com/milenerd/
http://alliedpassport.com/taggingmiles/
http://alliedpassport.com/onemileatatime/
http://alliedpassport.com/thepointsguy/
Originally Posted by BogeyMan
I wasn't sure which agency to use and selected Allied last Feb. based on the recommendation from OMAT. I used the regular service and it took only 5 days (plus shipping time since I'm in LA). I was very pleased with their service and communication.
Turns out this was the same for me. 5 business days exactly, no problems at all. Definitely less than the 10-15 business days they allowed themselves. My passport got back a full 2 weeks earlier than their cautious estimate.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
The concept you are referring to is "reciprocity", but I have no reason to believe that it applies in the instant case. Show us otherwise, and then we can discuss.
There's reciprocity in fees and reciprocity in requirements. For USA citizens, a former example illustrating the difference is the reciprocity fee for enter Argentina versus the visa requirement for Brazil.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
IF (unlikely IMO) the Embassy says that they want a flight out of Guangzhou not Hong Kong, then you invoke the @moondog strategy of reserving said flight CAN-BKK but not paying for, print out receipt to submit to Embassy, then cancel flight. Expedia US site usually allows one to do this. Or you could do that straight off and for visa application purposes, just keep HK out of it. Remember once you get a visa, you can rearrange plans at will, nobody back checks.
Moondog and jiejie, there does not seem to be any way to reserve a flight on Expedia without entering payment info. The screen you see before payment does not have reservation codes or the name of the flyer; as a printout I doubt it would be acceptable.

During the process you do see claims that the ticket is refundable, and has free cancellation within 24 hours, but then there's all the fine print that makes you wonder if they will really refund it. Also that bit about "WE don't charge a fee to cancel, but the airline might and we would pass it on to you."

So if you know a way to get an acceptable flight booking page that you can print out, without entering payment info, please do share it.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:50 pm

Aa.com
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG, HH
Hi all,

I tried to search and find a similar question to mine, but I failed!

In any case, I have a 10 year business visa (M category, US citizen). However I am planning to travel to China for purely tourism purposes in the near future. Is it possible to enter China with a M visa for tourism, or do I need a separate tourist visa (L category).

thanks for any insight!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:15 am

You are fine, it doesn't matter. I used to have a business visa and for years only went for tourism.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:35 am
Original Poster

The visa class you enter China effects your legal rights within China. If that doesn't effect you then you won't experience any issues entering under a M visa.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by downzy
Hi all,

I tried to search and find a similar question to mine, but I failed!

In any case, I have a 10 year business visa (M category, US citizen). However I am planning to travel to China for purely tourism purposes in the near future. Is it possible to enter China with a M visa for tourism, or do I need a separate tourist visa (L category).

thanks for any insight!
Did that last month. I also have a 10 year M visa and went for tourism, and marked my form clearly as such when entering China. It wasn't a problem.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Out of interest: have any UK citizens applied for Chinese Visas while in the US? What kind of fees were you charged? Also, what kind of documentation did you bring - are they happy enough seeing just your US Visa, or do you need additoinal forms / your I-94 / etc.?

The consulate website only lists fees for US citizens ($140) and other ($30 for a single entry). However the Chinese consulate in the UK has separate fees for UK citizens (85 GBP) vs other (20 GBP) and US (90 GBP). I'm guessing that means there will be a larger fee, similar to the US citizen fee, too?

Also, as a UK citizen I would now be eligible for the 2 year Visa, does anyone have any experience getting this while applying from another country? It would be annoying to get charged the higher UK fee (which is flat across all visa categories, i.e. single/double/multi), and still only get a single entry Visa - but I'm guessing I don't have much choice in the matter (I won't be in the UK until after my China trip).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bobert24
Turns out this was the same for me. 5 business days exactly, no problems at all. Definitely less than the 10-15 business days they allowed themselves. My passport got back a full 2 weeks earlier than their cautious estimate.
Thanks for this information. I used allied. They received my passport on a Thursday. Looks like they took it to the Embassy on Friday. The status link showed it ready for pickup on Friday. It was mailed back to me on Tuesday and I got it on Friday. I used the normal service and 3 day FedEx shipping. Great service!!

As I was filling out the application, I called them and asked a question. Phone was answered very quickly and answered all my questions.

I got the 10 year Visa with 60 days. This is my 3rd Visa from China. Past Visa's were for one year. Great not to have to go thru this every year in the future. This was a tourist Visa. My others were for business.

Highly recommend them!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:11 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JackieC2
I got the 10 year Visa with 60 days. This is my 3rd Visa from China. Past Visa's were for one year. Great not to have to go thru this every year in the future. This was a tourist Visa. My others were for business.

Highly recommend them!
10-year, multiple entry tourist and business visas are the standard now for US passports...unless you are recommending them solely based on service.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
10-year, multiple entry tourist and business visas are the standard now for US passports...unless you are recommending them solely based on service.
I have yet to hear of a visa agency that did not provide "good service". Their task is simply too easy to mess up. They are a commodity item IMO. Z visas are an exception to the rule, but you should task your employer if you need a Z visa; agencies are of minimal use.

I get my visas at PRC consulates in the USA, and always work such into my travel plans. This gives me complete control wrt the process.

That having been said, for our business guests, I typically Google "China visa", and choose the cheapest agency. In the event I stumble upon a bad apple, I will advise. No bad apples, thus far.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:00 pm

Yes, in years of following this, I don't recall a single complaint about a Chinese visa service. Compare with India, where complaints about the outsourced visa service centers would fill a book.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
The visa agencys are the one exception to bad customer service from what I've experienced. Their service is superior to the airlines lol.

They get the job done quick, are friendly about it, and answer any questions you have.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:25 pm

Business and tourist visas.

Hi Everyone, just a brief question. I am going to China as a Chinese translator for a client, and I wanted to know if I should get a separate business visa from my tourist visa? I think so, right? Will they give me a 10 year business visa, or just an individual one for this trip?

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.