Reload this Page >

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
Notice: This thread pertains strictly to visa free transit.
China (the PRC) has several programs that permit travelers with most passports to transit in China without the need to obtain a visa for periods of 24, 72, or 144 hours. These policies are commonly referred to as "transit without visa", "TWOV", or "visa free transit". They have almost completely replaced transit visas, but technically aren't visas.

This thread is functionally the same as its archived predecessor:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...er-thread.html

What's more, the information contained in the wikipost of the previous thread is still (as of 2024) reasonably accurate. However, since that wikipost had evolved into a long and tedious read, we decided to start anew.

Following are summaries of some of the key points:

1. "transit", in the case of all TWOV policies, requires entering and exiting China directly from different countries. For example, USA-China-Japan is okay, while Japan-China-Japan is not, even if you don't actually enter Japan in either direction (i.e. LAX-TYO-SHA is regarded as TYO-SHA).

2. Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau are functionally regarded as separate entities for the sake of TWOV, mean routings such as Hong Kong - Shanghai - Macau are permitted.

3. 24-hour TWOV applies to most combinations of conceivable ports of entries/exits, whereas 72 and 144 TWOV is restricted to travel within specific zones (e.g. if you enter China via Shanghai, you are required to remain within the boundaries of Shanghai/Jiangsu/Zhejiang during your stay and must exit from an approved checkpoint within the same area).

4. Your first port of entry in China establishes your zone, and this is the case even for flights that make intermediate stops within China (e.g. CA154 HIJ-PEK stops in DLC, so if you want 144 TVOW, you need to terminate in Dalian and remain within Liaoning Province, and if terminate in Beijing, you'll need to depart China within 24 hours of your arrival in DLC).

5. Visitors to this thread are welcome to provide specific itineraries for us to comment on here, but we encourage you to query TIMATIC (there are numerous free TIMATIC interfaces available on the internet, some better than others) for your specific case first because approved ports change from time to time and there are some variances based on passport/citizenship.

6. In order to avail of TWOV, you should be prepared to demonstrate compliance with both your inbound transportation provider (almost certainly an airline) and at the arrival border checkpoint. Proof of onward travel within the applicable time frame (i.e. 24, 72, or 144 hours) is essential, so even if your plan is to walk across an approved land border upon exit, you may well be denied boarding if you fail to produce a confirmed onward plane/boat/bus ticket.

7. Proof of accommodation in China is not technically required, BUT reserving a hotel room, for at least the first night, is advisable because doing so preempts "where are you staying?" conversations and staying in a hotel will ensure compliance with the "all foreigners must register with a PSB within 24/72 hours" rule.

8. In some cases (e.g. daytime layovers within the same terminal facility), applicants for 24-hour TWOV might be permitted to transit, but denied permits to enter the country. There are a number of ways to minimize (or completely eliminate) the odds of being denied an entry permit.

Print Wikipost

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes just use the first wing in the morning, then through first wing security, through the galleries first lounge, and on to the concorde room.

you should just be able to get the bps from the app tbh for both flights, but you will need to do your doc check at lhr at check in. they may give you both bps at GLA or just the GLA-LHR one, it shouldn't mater either way.
Perfect. Thanks!
Old May 8, 2024, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by skysh4rk
Perfect. Thanks!
First might be a different ballgame, but even if they already provide you with both physical BP at Glasgow Airport, it might still be necessary to go through the Doc-Check at LHR.

Happened to me last year while flying VIE-IST-TFU. In Vienna they already handed me over the BP for both flights, but thank god I queued again at IST Airport, because they had to register TWOV before the departure of the actual China bound flight with Sichuan Airlines.
Old May 8, 2024, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by wwtknoyb
First might be a different ballgame, but even if they already provide you with both physical BP at Glasgow Airport, it might still be necessary to go through the Doc-Check at LHR.

Happened to me last year while flying VIE-IST-TFU. In Vienna they already handed me over the BP for both flights, but thank god I queued again at IST Airport, because they had to register TWOV before the departure of the actual China bound flight with Sichuan Airlines.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind and double check that TWOV is registered at LHR.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Looking to visit Beijing in November as a US citizen for three nights and want to confirm if my flight booking will comply with TWOV rules.

Looking to book

HND-PEK/PEK-ICN using ANA miles. Since ANA rules require I start and end in the same country, I need to tack on a throwaway flight ICN-HND to make it work. Will book that flight as far out as I can which is end of April.

Since this will all be technically under one reservation, will I have any problems having that ICN-HND flight even though that last flight will be booked for sometime in April.
Old May 9, 2024, 7:16 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Looking to visit Beijing in November as a US citizen for three nights and want to confirm if my flight booking will comply with TWOV rules.

Looking to book

HND-PEK/PEK-ICN using ANA miles. Since ANA rules require I start and end in the same country, I need to tack on a throwaway flight ICN-HND to make it work. Will book that flight as far out as I can which is end of April.

Since this will all be technically under one reservation, will I have any problems having that ICN-HND flight even though that last flight will be booked for sometime in April.
You should be fine. Beijing will not care what you do after you fly to a third country.
FlyingFrZ likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 2:25 pm
3dB

We hold US passports and have planned two flight iteneraries. Firstly, we're flying with CX from DPS to HKG, then to TFU (on same itinerary with a 2-day stopover in HKG). After spending 5 days in Chengdu, we'll be flying with Thai Airways from TFU to BKK. We're aware that this journey complies with the 144-hour Transit Without Visa (TWOV) policy. However, we are concerned that the check-in staff at DPS might not be familiar with the TWOV policy and could potentially refuse us boarding. Additionally, online policies (from United, Skyteam) still list CTU as the airport in Chengdu, despite all international flights now departing from TFU instead of CTU. This discrepancy might further confuse the check-in staff.

Has anyone had experience with TWOV procedures at DPS airport? Is there a risk of encountering issues while obtaining a boarding pass there? Is it possible for the DPS staff to issue the boarding pass for the first leg to HKG, and for the HKG staff to issue the pass to TFU? (We assume the staff at HKG might be more knowledgeable about TWOV).

Thanks in advance!
Old May 13, 2024, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

You won't get a boarding pass for the flight 2 days later in DPS.

TIMATIC lists TFU as an eligible entry/exit.
Old May 13, 2024, 4:50 pm
3dB

Originally Posted by moondog
You won't get a boarding pass for the flight 2 days later in DPS.

TIMATIC lists TFU as an eligible entry/exit.
Fair point, thank you!

How do airlines check documents and visas for itineraries with long stopovers? Do they check each leg individually? Will the check-in agent at DPS not even care about my entry into mainland China?
Old May 13, 2024, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by 3dB
Fair point, thank you!

How do airlines check documents and visas for itineraries with long stopovers? Do they check each leg individually? Will the check-in agent at DPS not even care about my entry into mainland China?
Airline check-in staff will check TIMATIC. You won't have to worry DPS-HKG, and, like the previous poster said, you won't get your HKG-TFU boarding passes in DPS due to the flight being 2 days later. CX at HKG will be familiar with TWOV.
Old May 13, 2024, 5:53 pm
3dB

Originally Posted by Majuki
Airline check-in staff will check TIMATIC. You won't have to worry DPS-HKG, and, like the previous poster said, you won't get your HKG-TFU boarding passes in DPS due to the flight being 2 days later. CX at HKG will be familiar with TWOV.
Sounds good, thank you so much!
Old Today, 7:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Turkey

Originally Posted by moondog
I wouldn't sweat that plan in the slightest. The Turkey issue gets amplified quite a bit by vloggers who are driven by drama; simply visiting Turkey doesn't typically raise alarm bells by itself.
So I shouldn't sweat a 1 night stay in Turkey stamp 5 years ago? Not worth trying to get a new US passport? Still have 4 years validity.
Old Today, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Braswch
So I shouldn't sweat a 1 night stay in Turkey stamp 5 years ago? Not worth trying to get a new US passport? Still have 4 years validity.
No, one night stay in Turkey has only ever resulted in/caused an extra scrutiny question while entering China during TWOV times at CAN (Guangzhou). At all the other Airports in China, (PEK, PKX, PVG, TFU, XMN, TSN) no one gave a damn.

No need for a new Passport at all.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by wwtknoyb; Today at 11:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.