Wiki Posts
Search

Health Insurance in China

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:37 am
GJG

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
This is both true and false statement at the same time. True - the "general level" of competence is lower is correct. Many Chinese "doctors" don't actually have a doctoral. In fact, if you travel outside of "First-Tier" cities, chances are your doctors are trained at local community colleges. This is why even for the local Chinese, if they have a serious illness (or a moderate one), they will travel to First Tier cities to seek medical treatment.

False - I found many doctors in Shanghai are much more competent and knowledgeable vs. my precious doctors in the US that I dumped my US doctors and stick with the ones in Shanghai. China made it easy to find them: they are usually at International Hospitals. These hospitals also post their bio and medical expertise on the APPs, so you know exactly where they were trained, how many years of experiences, expertise, etc. Even the top doctors at Chinese hospitals, that it's virtually impossible to get an appointment with them, will attend to patients at International Hospitals (usually 2-4 days a month) and appointments are relatively easier (at a very high cost, but your insurance covers it so no cost to you).

My work have me involved in the Sixth People's Hospital in Shanghai for a while, and they developed some of the world's top techniques in treatment on wrists and finger joints. Many doctors from US and EU flew into Shanghai to learn from them. My sleep apnea doctor back in the States never can tune my CPAP correctly to my specific needs, and it took one visit with a Sleep Apnea doctor in Shanghai to fix the issue and I'm a completely different person (sleep-wise) afterwards. My cardiologist in US refuse to do more tests on me claiming I'm a-ok, but a visit to a cardiologist in Shanghai has shown that my heart blood vessels are blocked 70% and needed treatment. (If you're curious who are my doctors: UPenn and Johns Hopkin, the two top medical institutions in the States).

This is why I would recommend, if you're in China, and you gotten sick, go to the top International Hospitals in your region. Even if they don't have it themselves, they will get the top doctors from Government Hospitals to come treat you (if necessary). Foreign Direct-Payment Insurance is cash-cow for them.
Much agreed on this post. I find that the level of care both for my family (including children) at the international hospitals is very high. We go to United Family (both the main hospital in Changning and the clinic in Huacao) and at both places we can see top doctors (who like you said often work most days at the public hospitals) and the quality of care and the whole experience is almost like concierge medicine. Making appointments and viewing the doctor's experience and credentials on the wechat mini-program is super easy. Never have to wait for more than 5 minutes for the doctor. Free parking, etc etc., overall a very seamless process. And the doctor's are so experienced, probably because they spend most of their time at the top public hospitals in Shanghai where they may see 50 or more patients in a day, so they are usually very quick and accurate in diagnosing the problem. If you need imaging or a blood test or anything it happens right away in the same building, no need to make a separate appointment at an imaging center like in the U.S. where it could be more than a week before you can get an appointment, then see the doctor again, etc. If you have employer-paid international health insurance you pay nothing out of pocket, including for medications, so overall it's really a much better experience of medical care compared to the US.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by GJG
....overall it's really a much better experience of medical care compared to the US.
Let me make a small but not insignificant change to that statement:

....overall it's really a much better experience of medical care compared to the US if you are a foreigner in China.

Going to the hospital in China as a Chinese is quite horrible, from what I hear.
Hour-long waits and bribes to get to see a doctor are not uncommon.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik

....overall it's really a much better experience of medical care compared to the US if you are a foreigner in China.

Going to the hospital in China as a Chinese is quite horrible, from what I hear.
Chinese are also free to purchase insurance that allows them access to hospitals like United Family or Jiahui.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Chinese are also free to purchase insurance that allows them access to hospitals like United Family or Jiahui.

Aye except that most don't; most can't afford it; and the whole system wouldn't work if the int. hospitals would get flooded.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Aye except that most don't; most can't afford it; and the whole system wouldn't work if the int. hospitals would get flooded.
It's not expensive, compared to US prices (i.e. tiny), but my plan at Parkway is pretty much limited to Parkway itself. A number of normal hospitals offer VIP cards to anyone, in which you pay (out of pocket) around Y300 for fast service. Ancillary services are still billed at the normal (cheap) rates.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: Air China Phoenix Miles

My wife has been having a nasal problem, after ct, mri and biopsy and two weeks ago she was advised to go to Tongren Hospital in Beijing, tried everything to get an appointment without luck, then we found out we had a family member who knew someone that knew someone who knew a fixer and for a "consideration" he got us an appointment the very next day....for another greater "consideration" she could of got an appointment to have the operation there, but a bit of a wait....In the end she decided to go ahead with the operation in our home city but performed by a surgeon who travelled down from the provincial capital, I'm not too sure what was happening but apparently the surgeon was pleased to receive his red envelope we had prepared.....
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
While it's true most Chinese can't afford the insurance or out-of-pocket at the International Hospitals, but the International Hospitals have limits to the number of patients the doctors can see in a day, so the problem is not completely affordability. The system itself prevents over-crowding by ensuring quality of care. And visiting United Family and other International Hospitals in Shanghai and Beijing, I still see 90% being local Chinese so the statement that only foreigners enjoy this is completely false.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by steveb1955
My wife has been having a nasal problem, after ct, mri and biopsy and two weeks ago she was advised to go to Tongren Hospital in Beijing, tried everything to get an appointment without luck, then we found out we had a family member who knew someone that knew someone who knew a fixer and for a "consideration" he got us an appointment the very next day....for another greater "consideration" she could of got an appointment to have the operation there, but a bit of a wait....In the end she decided to go ahead with the operation in our home city but performed by a surgeon who travelled down from the provincial capital, I'm not too sure what was happening but apparently the surgeon was pleased to receive his red envelope we had prepared.....
That's interesting. I heard about that but never had to in my experience. And I always make sure I got the best doctor in Shanghai for my family's advanced treatments and was never asked for considerations and all the surgery and after-care were top notch. Guess they're just happy with us as their clients. (I also joined their VIP program with $300,000 RMB deposit, so maybe that played a role. Don't know.)
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:43 am
GJG

Programs: UA 1K

I agree with you but would add to that, if you are a foreigner in China or a local Chinese who can afford to buy health insurance which covers the international hospitals, or just pay out of pocket. Like others have said, if you go to UFH or Parkway, at least in my experience, 80-90% of the clients are Chinese. But yes with an insurance premium of $10-20,000 per year for a family, these are obviously not average-income Chinese folks.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.