Current China Entry policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Does anyone have information on the current state of travel to Macau? Specifically, is quarantine required when returning to Shanghai from Macau?

Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Does anyone have information on the current state of travel to Macau? Specifically, is quarantine required when returning to Shanghai from Macau?

Thanks.
Yeah, you'd need to put in your two weeks.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Yeah, you'd need to put in your two weeks.
This is different from the information I'm seeing from the government (in Chinese): ????????????????????????14????_????_?????

Basically says those entering mainland China from Macau don't need to quarantine for 14 days anymore if:

1) no travel overseas within last 14 days
2) have negative PCR test within 7 days
3) have the proper documents to enter China

This is the same message that pops up when you try to buy a ticket to / from Macau.

Before I attempt it I just wanted to see if anyone has actually tried it.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
This is different from the information I'm seeing from the government (in Chinese): ????????????????????????14????_????_?????

Basically says those entering mainland China from Macau don't need to quarantine for 14 days anymore if:

This is the same message that pops up when you try to buy a ticket to / from Macau.

I'm also interested in whether any foreigner with an RP has successfully travelled to and from Macau from the mainland without quarantine. I was about 1km from Macau last week in Zhuhai but didn't dare try it because I have not yet had a verifiable report from a foreigner who has done it. My Chinese national friend was going to visit Macau last week but wasn't able to get a visa in time for... reasons... but his problem was not quarantine regulations either way. Certainly, if it's not possible for foreigners with RPs from Guangdong using the land (or sea) border then it won't be possible by plane from Shanghai. And if it does become possible for foreigners with RPs by land (or sea) from Guangdong then it doesn't mean the same rule will apply for flights from Shanghai as this type of quarantine-free arrangement appears to be negotiated between Macau and the officials at the port of departure (hence talk about the GZ-HK-Macau travel bubble).

No foreigner with a RP in Shenzhen I know has tried it yet. I would dearly like to but will not risk being thrown in quarantine on the way back just because I'm a foreigner with a RP and not a Chinese national because my employer would stop paying me for two weeks this time round which would make Sunday Brunch at the Ritz Carlton a very expensive meal indeed.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
I'm also interested in whether any foreigner with an RP has successfully travelled to and from Macau from the mainland without quarantine. I was about 1km from Macau last week in Zhuhai but didn't dare try it because I have not yet had a verifiable report from a foreigner who has done it. My Chinese national friend was going to visit Macau last week but wasn't able to get a visa in time for... reasons... but his problem was not quarantine regulations either way. Certainly, if it's not possible for foreigners with RPs from Guangdong using the land (or sea) border then it won't be possible by plane from Shanghai. And if it does become possible for foreigners with RPs by land (or sea) from Guangdong then it doesn't mean the same rule will apply for flights from Shanghai as this type of quarantine-free arrangement appears to be negotiated between Macau and the officials at the port of departure (hence talk about the GZ-HK-Macau travel bubble).

No foreigner with a RP in Shenzhen I know has tried it yet. I would dearly like to but will not risk being thrown in quarantine on the way back just because I'm a foreigner with a RP and not a Chinese national because my employer would stop paying me for two weeks this time round which would make Sunday Brunch at the Ritz Carlton a very expensive meal indeed.
Looks like we're in the same boat - don't want to be the guinea pig.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ETA: This next question might be pointless in the event the answers to any of the first three are bad news, but
4. Are their currently flights from SHA to HKG or MFM? I really dislike going to PVG. SZX is even worse.

ftrichard Reported either here or in our group chat there is apparently a travel bubble, but the details are not well articulated. In particular:
1. Does it only apply to Shenzhen, Hong Kong, and Macau?
2. Can anyone avail of it, or do you need to be a student/commuter?
3. Need for quarantine in either direction?

Last edited by moondog; Oct 15, 2020 at 1:30 am
Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
What's the current procedure and best flights to get to Beijing from USA?
Has there been any change to landing in Beijing from overseas? BA lists direct flights LHR-PKX starting in December. A presume they're going to be canceled?

So, this is still 'USA'-PVG, two weeks quarantine in Shanghai, then onto Beijing with further few days quarantine?

Last edited by narvik; Oct 15, 2020 at 5:14 am
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Has there been any changes to landing in Beijing for foreigners? BA lists direct flights LHR-PKX starting in December. A presume they're going to be canceled?

So, this is still 'USA'-PVG, two weeks quarantine in Shanghai, then onto Beijing with further few days quarantine?
I'm not sure, but I like the PVG approach myself, which several of my friends have done.

Before making your decision, I suggest you research serviced apartments in Shanghai, and see if they can issue a temporary residence permit for the second 7 days prior to your arrival in Shanghai. Another key point that is a little sensitive is will they permit you to leave. They will probably say "no" if you ask them in a direct manner.

The problem that my friend faced was that he couldn't convince the landlord to go to the police station upon lease signing (admittedly a PITA), so he had to do the 2 weeks in a hotel room.

However, serviced apartments are more like hotels (i.e. they can issue temporary residents permits on their own).

World Union is the one that comes to mind. There are actually 4 or 5 serviced apartment companies there. It's certainly not luxury living, but being allowed to go outside is a big upside.

ETA: I don't know of anyone who has had to quarantine for a second time in Beijing since February, which was our bad month. However, one of my friends flew SYD-PVG SHA-PEK in March, and she was required to leave the same day that her quarantine ended.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Oct 15, 2020 at 5:39 am
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not sure, but I like the PVG approach myself, which several of my friends have done.

Before making your decision, I suggest you research serviced apartments in Shanghai, and see if they can issue a temporary residence permit for the second 7 days prior to your arrival in Shanghai. Another key point that is a little sensitive is will they permit you to leave. They will probably say "no" if you ask them in a direct manner.

The problem that my friend faced was that he couldn't convince the landlord to go to the police station upon lease signing (admittedly a PITA), so he had to do the 2 weeks in a hotel room.

However, serviced apartments are more like hotels (i.e. they can issue temporary residents permits on their own).

World Union is the one that comes to mind. There are actually 4 or 5 serviced apartment companies there. It's certainly not luxury living, but being allowed to go outside is a big upside.

Thanks.
I am curious: how do they expect the transfer from hotel to serviced apartment? This step seems a bit dubious [to me]. How is that organized?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
I am curious: how do they expect the transfer from hotel to serviced apartment? This step seems a bit dubious [to me]. How is that organized?
Somebody in a tyvek space suit will drive you to your apartment from the hotel. They will also place a monitor your door and tell you that you’re allowed to open it 4-5 times a day for food delivery and to greet any health/neighborhood officials how come to meet you.

My feeling is they will go back to 2 weeks in hotel only, no stay at home option soon. The rise in cases in the USA and EU is scaring them.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Has there been any change to landing in Beijing from overseas? BA lists direct flights LHR-PKX starting in December. A presume they're going to be canceled?

Good to read that are you working on getting back to China. Hard to say at the moment whether BA will be running some flights to PKX - my guess is not, but if the rules are opened up to allow more flights they may run a limited service to take advantage of cargo loading..

There are though some scheduled flights now from Europe at least to Beijing - specifically I think from Denmark and Sweden or Air China. A friend (Chinese, with overseas-passport but long term spouse Chinese visa) is booked to fly to China at the end of this month - and is currently scheduled to land at PEK, so assuming that happens I can get back to you and add some details of the overall process and quarantine experience.

The authorities here though have also stated though that in the case of more than three imported cases on any flight will result in immediate diversion - which I doesn't quite make sense to me, as testing only takes place after landing, so I presume this just means that subsequent flights will be rerouted back to an alternative port of entry, so there are no solid guarantees at the moment about these flights.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
A friend (Chinese, with overseas-passport but long term spouse Chinese visa) is booked to fly to China at the end of this month - and is currently scheduled to land at PEK, so assuming that happens I can get back to you and add some details of the overall process and quarantine experience.
Thanks for your post, and yes, please update if you get some feedback from your friend.
MUCH appreciated!
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:04 pm

actual costs for 14 day quarantine?

so, assuming a family gets in and assuming their visa is current. Does anyone know of the actual cost of the 14 day quarantine? I've hear everywhere from ¥100-600/person? couples needing to separate etc. I've got people looking to go back that are families with children (I would assume they won't split up a family?).
My real question is do we know of a source besides here-say that gives these actual costs?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by ncour
so, assuming a family gets in and assuming their visa is current. Does anyone know of the actual cost of the 14 day quarantine? I've hear everywhere from ¥100-600/person? couples needing to separate etc. I've got people looking to go back that are families with children (I would assume they won't split up a family?).
My real question is do we know of a source besides here-say that gives these actual costs?
TMK quarantine hotels are not permitted to price gouge, and they are cheap to begin with. Personally, I would angle to get the biggest room possible. Location isn't a big concern because you can't leave. Hotel quality would enter my calculus a bit; some economy brands are considerably nicer than others (e.g. think variances in linen quality).
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ncour
I can give you a data point. Shanghai has the 7+7 program and we have someone in Xuhui District going through that now. The hotel cost is 400 per day for the room and another 100 per person for food. 24 bottles of water provided in the room at check in. The fifth day covid test is an additional 120. No couples or families checked in at the same time so I cannot help you understand how they handle that but pricing the food per person suggests there could be an additional person in the room. The food was all Yum brands: Pizza Hut, KFC, and that Chinese lunch box company they bought. The quantity was sufficient but not more. They allow additional deliveries if you order from the outside. There was no choice offered in hotels.

Actual procedures and policies vary by city and even by city district. The best thing would be to call locally and ask for your specific circumstances what you can expect. Shanghai is allowing 14 day quarantine at home if you have certain medical needs. High blood pressure was one such medical need and maybe pregnancy or having an infant or small child could also qualify. Highly suggest you get someone to call in the city district where you are headed.
Ricebucket likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.