Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Which longhaul routes to/from China will be cut by end of Q1 2020?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which longhaul routes to/from China will be cut by end of Q1 2020?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What happened was that helvetic was opening a similar on thread on the capacity reductions - a full three days - after I was opening my thread. Instead of continuing the topic in the thread that was created first, helvetic resumed posting in his second thread.

The line of argumentation is that my thread is about "prediction on cuts" (which btw. became mostly true) and helvetic's thread is about "confirmed cuts". I dont see the big difference.

All Mainland China flights from US carriers had been cut, which confirms all my predictions.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'll take "All of them" for $100, Alex....
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

From early February you may see most non-Chinese carriers would have cut all their flights into Mainland China.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Qatar Airways is cutting all its routes to Mainland China (I'd assume PEK, PVG and CAN).
Wow! This I didn't predict 6 days ago.

Last edited by warakorn; Feb 1, 2020 at 6:02 am
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
TK has suspended flights as has QF. Australia has gone even further than just the QF flight ban and banned all non-Australians who are coming from China from entering Australia which effectively means all Chinese carriers will have to cease operations into Australia.

US has also banned all foreign visitors who have recently been in China from entering the US -- which effectively means all Chinese carriers have to cease operations into the US as well.

Singapore has also closed its borders to anyone coming from China which effectively means all flights from Chinese carriers and SQ will cease to fly between the two countries (all canceled).

I suspect we'll ultimately see most non-Chinese carriers cut flights for some period of time or governments taking the same approach as US / Australia / Singapore which has the same impact.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
Looks confusing, but that's because it was posted in another thread that was merged with this one. Mod didn't leave a note about the merge, hence the appearance that this guy is off his rocker.
Not sure it was merged because the other thread is still running:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...ronavirus.html

And not sure it's just an appearance either.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by TTT
Speculating, but the reducing availability of transportation options out of China (in addition to the infection) is probably why governments are advising their citizens against travel.

To your question, Qantas/JetStar/Air New Zealand may be options for now.
No longer options. Both Australia and NZ no longer allow entry or transit for anyone who has been in China in the last 14 days except for their own nationals.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
- CX FRA-HKG (permanent cut of second daily)
I would not count HK to China, at least aviation-wise. And this flight was already cut last fall due to the protests... (I think its CX288/289)

Last edited by mucaari; Feb 1, 2020 at 11:45 pm
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Still I see a number of MU flights (departing/arriving PVG) flying to/from Europe and North America.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:22 am

Still I see a number of MU flights (departing/arriving PVG) flying to/from Europe and North America.
MU (China eastern) cut JFK to PVG flights from tonite thru March 28. At least cannot be seen on flight searches.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Open Flightradar and check all the flights flying to or from PEK/PVG. Plenty of planes still around OZ, USA etc.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Huge capacity cut from China Southern until the end of March:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-02feb20/
\
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Open Flightradar and check all the flights flying to or from PEK/PVG. Plenty of planes still around OZ, USA etc.
They are permitted to fly but the US / OZ governments are not permitting anyone who has been in China for the last 14 days to enter unless they are a US / OZ citizen. I'm not sure what the pilots of those planes are going to do (don't think they are exempt).

In theory those planes could be carrying US / OZ citizens who will be permitted entry but quarantined upon entry but any foreign national on those planes isn't getting into US / OZ upon landing and will be sent back.

One other caveat -- the US ban takes effect in about 51 minutes (5pm ET) so those flights that you see would have been in progress before the ban went into effect
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US ban provides an exemption for some non-US citizens too: US LPRs (If not also some others).
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just looked at flightradar24 app:
I am still seeing about a half a dozen Chinese airlines flying from Mainland China to Australia.

What will the crew do in OZ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.